Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Start button to re-appear in Windows Blue (From W7 Forum)

  1. #11


    Oregon
    Posts : 214
    Windows 8 Pro w/Media Center, Windows RT


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Microsoft may be moving toward bringing back the Start Button and allowing users to boot straight to the desktop with its coming Windows 8.1 release later this year.
    Source:
    Microsoft's Windows 8 Plan B(lue): Bring back the Start button, boot to desktop | ZDNet
    Would be a smart move for MSFT to do so. It would eliminate much to the critism directed towards Win8 and allow for a better transition to the Metro paradigm.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    It may accelerate Windows 8 adoption by a considerable part of potential consumers, but it's not that important now. It should have been an option since the beginning.


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    I doubt they will actually do so. There was once a rumored switch between the Release Preview and RTM that allowed boot to the Desktop, but that never happened. A start menu at this point would really undercut everything they have done so far just to provide a temporary crutch from the old to new.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 302
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I doubt they will actually do so. There was once a rumored switch between the Release Preview and RTM that allowed boot to the Desktop, but that never happened. A start menu at this point would really undercut everything they have done so far just to provide a temporary crutch from the old to new.
    There is no 'old' and 'new'. Its simply two interfaces :P. The mobile and desktop interface. The sooner they realize that, the better. They've tried shoehorning people into using the mobile interface, and its clear they're refusing to go. They can either keep shoveling s**t against the tide, or fix it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 302
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile


    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    I'm no fan of the Modern UI as it stands. But even I think bringing back the Start button might be a mistake.

    What I think MS should do is work out why people dislike the removal of Start button (apart from "it's different"), work out what's good about it, and attempt to bring those features into the Modern UI.
    What MS should do is realize its two separate interfaces and not one. Even in your response there its clear that you don't seem to understand that its two separate interfaces. Why do people dislike the removal? Because they don't like having to go to a separate interface to run programs. Why, if I want to run a desktop program, do I have to go to a full screen mobile interface, select it, just to pop back to the desktop interface? Whats good about that? Nothing.

    So it isn't a matter of integrating the Start Menu into the Modern UI, its a matter of not having any good reason to go to the Mobile Interface at all, if you're not running off a tablet, or simply using it as a media device. Simply crippling and removing the Start Button doesn't magically cause people to automatically use the mobile interface for their needs, any more than amputating your leg and giving you an artificial one suddenly makes you good at running.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by chrisa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    I'm no fan of the Modern UI as it stands. But even I think bringing back the Start button might be a mistake.

    What I think MS should do is work out why people dislike the removal of Start button (apart from "it's different"), work out what's good about it, and attempt to bring those features into the Modern UI.
    What MS should do is realize its two separate interfaces and not one. Even in your response there its clear that you don't seem to understand that its two separate interfaces. Why do people dislike the removal? Because they don't like having to go to a separate interface to run programs. Why, if I want to run a desktop program, do I have to go to a full screen mobile interface, select it, just to pop back to the desktop interface? Whats good about that? Nothing.

    So it isn't a matter of integrating the Start Menu into the Modern UI, its a matter of not having any good reason to go to the Mobile Interface at all, if you're not running off a tablet, or simply using it as a media device. Simply crippling and removing the Start Button doesn't magically cause people to automatically use the mobile interface for their needs, any more than amputating your leg and giving you an artificial one suddenly makes you good at running.
    Hi there
    I agree with you but the "Artificial legs" analogy isn't a good one -- Ever heard of Oscar Pistorius -- screenshot enc. This guy would beat about 90% of "normal" people over anything up to 400 metres without batting an eyelid.

    It's likely in the future that artificial limbs and bionic implants could actually IMPROVE on the natural ones -- we are almost reaching that point with some artificial hands etc and this is only the very beginning of this type of technology.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pistorius.png  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 138
    Windows 8 Pro


    I bet most people out there don't even know the Start Button was taken away.

    I bet fewer still care either way about wether it should be there or not.

    These are issues that only power users and media attack dogs have any real passion about.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by sashlon View Post
    I bet most people out there don't even know the Start Button was taken away.

    I bet fewer still care either way about wether it should be there or not.

    These are issues that only power users and media attack dogs have any real passion about.
    Anyone going from any recent version of Windows prior to 8 won't even know the start button is gone? The few that do notice don't care? And an even fewer number that do notice and care are only power users and media attacks dogs?

    Are you serious?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 474
    Win 8 (64) : Win 7 (64) : Vista (64) : Android JB 4.2 : iOS 6


    This will only matter to those who held back getting it. For us, current users, we know our way around it already. So, yeah... maybe this is for Microsoft gain.
    BTW, is this going to be an update or something we need to pay for?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    You're welcome to have your legs removed if you like Jimbo.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Start button to re-appear in Windows Blue (From W7 Forum)
Related Threads
There's a 7 forum button, why no 9 forum button yet?
Read more at source: Windows 8.1 Start button may not offer actual Start menu | Microsoft - CNET News
Read more at source: Here's how the new Windows Blue Start Button may work | ZDNet
Why The Windows Blue Start Button Debate Doesn’t Really Matter | Lifehacker Australia
I want to know if its possible to have the start button installed and still have the window key take you back to metro start. The problem I am having is that with start button installed, windows key always defaults to the start button I installed instead of metro start... What am I doing wrong? ...
Hi, I'm new to the forum, and fairly new to Windows 8, which I've been using from the desktop as I can't get on with the Start menu and its tiles. Not using Start8. Anyway, I was using the desktop taskbar with its Start button and Show desktop button and today they have both disappeared. How...
Windows 8 Start Button in Customization
Okay, so I am really new here, and I would like to say hi. My name is Ali, and I live in Virginia. I go to High School, and I plan to be a programmer in either Java or C#. Anyways, my question is, is there any way to get a start button on Windows 8. I hate having to go a folder to access My...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook