Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Microsoft's Windows 8 approach: Bold, arrogant, or both?

  1. #121


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Coke,

    That was more than 5 words, but I think I understand your point. But now the exact opposite than what you think they intended has happend.

    The traditional PC users are very unexcited and are not buying - in fact they are highly disturbed and unless MS does not make a swift turn, they will lose the PC users except for those poor souls that have to buy a new PC for one reason or another. And even many of those try to get away from under /8.

    I am on many forums but this is the only forum where I have met a few people who seem to like Windows 8. That is not what I call a roaring success for the system. In my estimate the ratio of supporters to the rejectors is 20 to 80. And I am only referring to traditional PC users.
    On forums where there is discussion about the PC, it's always the desktop, so it's pretty obvious there is going to resistance against Windows 8. On Seven Forums, that is true. ASUS ROG Forums, pretty much the same. Tom's Hardware, same thing. Those forums are all about building desktop PCs usually. For some reason Windows 7 is associated with a desktop, Windows 8 isn't oddly enough.

    But now the flip side, out here in the real world were I'm at, there aren't people freaking about Windows 8. The people I know that are on Windows 8 have nothing bad to say about it. There have been a few, but that's because one went from vista to 8, the other has Windows 8 on such a low quality laptop I would hate it too. Out in public when I'm playing with touch laptops and touch AIOs, the people around me aren't saying how it's not a real OS. They're more playing around with it comparing PCs and prices.

    Then again, the average PC user isn't a desktop user much anymore...

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #122


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    People want a choice between the new and the traditional desktop. What is so wrong with people wanting that choice?
    Right, and we are not going to stop screaming (because it currently hurts) until we get that choice.
    I really don't understand what choice needs to be there. Remove the apps you don't want, install Decor8 if you want, and pin your Desktop things onto it. It's a start menu just full screen. It runs the Desktop, it is the Desktop, it is a Desktop OS. It seems by far frivolous to be crying about something so mundane like that at this point.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #123


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I already know how to fish, I'm just wanting you to tell me what posters have been saying here for some time about how Windows 8 would sell in an uproar like 7 did if Windows 8 was just Windows 7.1. That is all.
    It's rather pointless trying to explain anything to you, because you get everything confused and distorted every time. No where did I say that Windows 8 had to be Windows 7.1. How do you come up with these misbegotten interpretations?
    Probably because you can't explain anything properly if it needs to be explained again...

    But that's not the point, I merely asked why Windows 8 would had been a roaring success if it was just Windows 7 with 8's performance on the Desktop? Please stop trying to side step a question someone politely asked you and then passive aggressively fume about it.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #124


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    I think your point is mistaken. What you really want is no WinRT start menu. The apps are irrelevant.
    No, I want choice. I want the option to totally ignore the MPI right out of the box, not with third party programs.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    There are some misguided folks that actually think WinRT is the (new) Windows 8 desktop.
    Because that's how Microsoft has been marketing Windows 8.

    Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    No I didn't...you did. I used the word, "future," in a totally different context.
    In the context of what you were referring to:

    Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    I don't think it's really arrogance, because I don't think they made the change for their own sake (at least from their perspective) They did it because that's where computing is going, and sometimes people need to be brought kicking and screaming into the future.
    fu·tur·is·tic

    adj.
    1. Of or relating to the future.

    2.
    a. Of, characterized by, or expressing a vision of
    the future: futuristic décor.

    b. Being ahead of the times; innovative or
    revolutionary: futuristic computer software
    Why is it always so difficult?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #125


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    I think your point is mistaken. What you really want is no WinRT start menu. The apps are irrelevant.
    No, I want choice. I want the option to totally ignore the MPI right out of the box, not with third party programs.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    There are some misguided folks that actually think WinRT is the (new) Windows 8 desktop.
    Because that's how Microsoft has been marketing Windows 8.



    In the context of what you were referring to:

    Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    I don't think it's really arrogance, because I don't think they made the change for their own sake (at least from their perspective) They did it because that's where computing is going, and sometimes people need to be brought kicking and screaming into the future.
    fu·tur·is·tic

    adj.
    1. Of or relating to the future.

    2.
    a. Of, characterized by, or expressing a vision of
    the future: futuristic décor.

    b. Being ahead of the times; innovative or
    revolutionary: futuristic computer software
    Why is it always so difficult?
    So, you don't like the Start Screen that takes less than three minutes to reflect the Desktop, since you seem to fall for Microsoft's marketing hype of Windows 8?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #126


    Posts : 37
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Why is it always so difficult?
    So I'm speaking about advancing technology and the actual interface between man and machine, and then you bring up some stupid theme engine and claim that I'm the one not getting it. Right.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #127


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Why is it always so difficult?
    So I'm speaking about advancing technology and the actual interface between man and machine, and then you bring up some stupid theme engine and claim that I'm the one not getting it. Right.
    What is this advanced interface, between man and machine, that you speak of?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #128


    Posts : 37
    Windows 8 Pro


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #129


    Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    LOL! Mental telepathy, of course.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #130


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Images from Microsoft Human Interface Research Facility.

    Haptic systems:

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    Early research with slate devices:

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    The research scientists in a rare group photo:

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Microsoft's Windows 8 approach: Bold, arrogant, or both?
Related Threads
Bold Font Problem in General Support
I was adjusting my monitor settings with Calibrate Display in Windows 8.1 and accidentally clicked 'yes' for Windows ClearType at the end of the adjusting. That's when this problems started. Now my browser is showing bold text in a what looks like the Impact font, I think? It looks stretched out....
Solved Bold Font in General Support
Hey guys, need help. I recently install Left 4 Dead on my laptop and it changes my font to bold, not only in the game but all in my system, my default font is now bold. I uninstall the game but the font was not changed. I went to Font Settings on Control Panel and make it to default, it now go...
Firefox font looks bold! in Browsers & Mail
Hello, My firefox and google chrome displays are totally different. In my new laptop, firefox shows the titles in bold. Shows different elements in bold while in google chrome it works fine. I tried google and I tried all the tutorials about changing about:config but nothing worked. One...
Here's why Windows 8 will never approach Vista's awfulness | Computerworld Blogs
More...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook