Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Microsoft's Windows 8 approach: Bold, arrogant, or both?

  1. #101


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Coke, that's a lot of words. What you basically said in the comment I cited is that Windows 8 without the Metro would not be worth having. Do I read this right.

    Do you think you can give me an answer in 5 words or less, LOL.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #102


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Coke, that's a lot of words. What you basically said in the comment I cited is that Windows 8 without the Metro would not be worth having. Do I read this right.

    Do you think you can give me an answer in 5 words or less, LOL.
    There is value, only if you look for it. What I'm basically trying to get across is the fact that in the face of the common consumer, something that looks like the OS they're already using just faster, few UI adjustments, and a few new features baked in and such, it's just meh. It wouldn't be worth rushing to out to get a copy of it and installing it everywhere. With 7, certain things can be done with third party software to achieve what Windows 8 already has baked in. Certain people appreciate that, others could care less. I can tell you for a fact that if Windows 8 where in fact just Windows 7.1, I wouldn't have gone through all the Preview builds, I wouldn't had probably bought a copy of Windows until I upgrade to a SSD. I wouldn't really be doing installs of it on existing installs of 7 I have already done, only maybe to refresh a PC or on a new PC with 7.1 already installed. It wouldn't be like vista to 7, it would just be 7 to 7.1. Not totally worthwhile, to some at least.


    Sorry, I went on a tangent.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #103


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    And therein lies the rub. It would appear, by far, that those who like what Microsoft is doing, are outnumbered significantly by those that don't. It's all subjective, but then that's what drives everything when it comes to what people like and don't like. Windows 8 is such a roaring success, or could have been, if only Microsoft had listened to the majority, rather than the minority.
    That's quite a bold statement. Where are your references so far as numbers? I've scoured the Net to no avail. I don't see them anywhere for either pro or con.

    However, there are some forum polls that show some insight.

    Will you upgrade? That is the question...

    Another Poll about the Desktop Start Menu

    Poll: Windows 8 users, are you using a 3rd party start menu?

    Overall forum search on polls:

    https://www.eightforums.com/search.php?searchid=320243
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #104


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I already know how to fish, I'm just wanting you to tell me what posters have been saying here for some time about how Windows 8 would sell in an uproar like 7 did if Windows 8 was just Windows 7.1. That is all.
    It's rather pointless trying to explain anything to you, because you get everything confused and distorted every time. No where did I say that Windows 8 had to be Windows 7.1. How do you come up with these misbegotten interpretations?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #105


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    That's quite a bold statement. Where are your references so far as numbers? I've scoured the Net to no avail. I don't see them anywhere for either pro or con.

    However, there are some forum polls that show some insight.

    Will you upgrade? That is the question...

    Another Poll about the Desktop Start Menu

    Poll: Windows 8 users, are you using a 3rd party start menu?

    Overall forum search on polls:

    https://www.eightforums.com/search.php?searchid=320243
    The evidence is clearly anecdotal based on all the reviews, forum comments (here and elsewhere), reports, sales figures etc.

    If Windows 8 is so popular, why isn't it popular?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #106


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Coke,

    That was more than 5 words, but I think I understand your point. But now the exact opposite than what you think they intended has happend.

    The traditional PC users are very unexcited and are not buying - in fact they are highly disturbed and unless MS does not make a swift turn, they will lose the PC users except for those poor souls that have to buy a new PC for one reason or another. And even many of those try to get away from under /8.

    I am on many forums but this is the only forum where I have met a few people who seem to like Windows 8. That is not what I call a roaring success for the system. In my estimate the ratio of supporters to the rejectors is 20 to 80. And I am only referring to traditional PC users.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #107


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    The availability of information at a glance, the ability to easily use touch interaction, the smooth operation of the interface, clean design... how many points need to be made?
    Information at a glance: Only if set to your own design and you use it constantly, but no more effective than what is available in Windows 7.
    The Real Quality Boot Time of 8 Verses 7

    You need to make points that cannot be easily demolished.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #108


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Boot is fast, that is true. But there are systems that are faster.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #109


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    That's quite a bold statement. Where are your references so far as numbers? I've scoured the Net to no avail. I don't see them anywhere for either pro or con.

    However, there are some forum polls that show some insight.

    Will you upgrade? That is the question...

    Another Poll about the Desktop Start Menu

    Poll: Windows 8 users, are you using a 3rd party start menu?

    Overall forum search on polls:

    https://www.eightforums.com/search.php?searchid=320243
    The evidence is clearly anecdotal based on all the reviews, forum comments (here and elsewhere), reports, sales figures etc.

    If Windows 8 is so popular, why isn't it popular?
    Again, you post no references. Your word, nor anyone's, including me, is the final word.

    It's more popular than not here on the forum. The polls speak. Numbers don't lie.

    Sales continue on.

    The Media's word is not final, especially when not referencing facts.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #110


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Boot is fast, that is true. But there are systems that are faster.
    OK. What system upon boot will give me all my personal information contained within the Start Screen of 8?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Microsoft's Windows 8 approach: Bold, arrogant, or both?
Related Threads
Bold Font Problem in General Support
I was adjusting my monitor settings with Calibrate Display in Windows 8.1 and accidentally clicked 'yes' for Windows ClearType at the end of the adjusting. That's when this problems started. Now my browser is showing bold text in a what looks like the Impact font, I think? It looks stretched out....
Solved Bold Font in General Support
Hey guys, need help. I recently install Left 4 Dead on my laptop and it changes my font to bold, not only in the game but all in my system, my default font is now bold. I uninstall the game but the font was not changed. I went to Font Settings on Control Panel and make it to default, it now go...
Firefox font looks bold! in Browsers & Mail
Hello, My firefox and google chrome displays are totally different. In my new laptop, firefox shows the titles in bold. Shows different elements in bold while in google chrome it works fine. I tried google and I tried all the tutorials about changing about:config but nothing worked. One...
Here's why Windows 8 will never approach Vista's awfulness | Computerworld Blogs
More...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook