Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Are you a tablet skeptic?

  1. #61


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    But 200,000,000 cannot synch it with their Windows desktop PCs.
    Actually they can (at least Android devices), but their response would most likely be 'care factor zero'.
    I like how you twisted that. You cannot synch but a few. Music, calendar, and pics, but they all need a synch program to do so. Pics you can copy and paste.
    What did I twist? I know for a fact that a friend of mine uses a Galaxy Tab to wirelessly connect and do things like read his emails that are delivered to his PC, view files off his PC etc. I call that syncing, remotely connecting your wireless device to your PC. I don't know anything about iPads.

    You should go on Android and Apple forums and convince these people that they are truly unhappy with the poor performance of their devices.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #62


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    What did I twist? I know for a fact that a friend of mine uses a Galaxy Tab to wirelessly connect and do things like read his emails that are delivered to his PC, view files off his PC etc. I call that syncing, remotely connecting your wireless device to your PC. I don't know anything about iPads.

    You should go on Android and Apple forums and convince these people that they are truly unhappy with the poor performance of their devices.
    Seems to me the topic in the last few posts were on iPads then you mentioned Android synching.

    Yes it's possible to synchronize anything with anything if one is technically knowledgeable enough, but a small percentage do. I'm speaking of the masses that do not. When they catch wind of what MS is attempting to accomplish with synching I think more will make the move over.

    I have an Droid. Just to synchronize pics and music is a PITA. I'm not able to do it remotely. I have to USB it.

    I have a Google account mainly for contacts backup for the Droid. I use the Gmail occasionally for crap mail and calendar. My Gmail account is included in my Windows 8 Mail app. The Gmail calendar synchs with my 8 calendar app as well. So does the contacts with the people app -> Automatically.

    BTW, today is sponsored by the word "Automatically". A rather nifty modern word.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #63


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    What did I twist? I know for a fact that a friend of mine uses a Galaxy Tab to wirelessly connect and do things like read his emails that are delivered to his PC, view files off his PC etc. I call that syncing, remotely connecting your wireless device to your PC. I don't know anything about iPads.

    You should go on Android and Apple forums and convince these people that they are truly unhappy with the poor performance of their devices.
    Seems to me the topic in the last few posts were on iPads then you mentioned Android synching.

    Yes it's possible to synchronize anything with anything if one is technically knowledgeable enough, but a small percentage do. I'm speaking of the masses that do not. When they catch wind of what MS is attempting to accomplish with synching I think more will make the move over.

    I have an Droid. Just to synchronize pics and music is a PITA. I'm not able to do it remotely. I have to USB it.

    I have a Google account mainly for contacts backup for the Droid. I use the Gmail occasionally for crap mail and calendar. My Gmail account is included in my Windows 8 Mail app. The Gmail calendar synchs with my 8 calendar app as well. So does the contacts with the people app -> Automatically.

    BTW, today is sponsored by the word "Automatically". A rather nifty modern word.
    The topic at hand was about all tablets, but the article that I referenced was predominantly about iPads. I mentioned Android syncing because I knew Android devices could sync with Windows PCs.

    I doubt very much that the masses are really interested in super-duper syncing capabilities. The 200,000,000 current users are clearly happy with what they have, and the support services and options seem to suffice.

    The masses love their iPads and 'Droids, and will stay with what they know and love. It's the minority tech nerds that seem not to understand this.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #64


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Those don't have proper software to do anything with, and don't have good hardware to do anything with. A tablet PC does.
    But it often comes at a price that many aren't willing to pay for a tablet. That's pretty much what you said a few lines down.

    I carried around a Surface Pro for about 3 weeks and showed friends, family, coworkers, and people that I volunteer with in my audio gig. Nobody felt compelled in any way shape or form to get one. A handful were already carrying iPad's and failed to see what advantage they would have when they were on the go.
    True, but honestly, I believe the tablet PCs are marked up for sure. A touch ultrabook can cost less than 800 dollars, a tablet PC can go WELL over 1,000.

    I would imagine most ipad users as it is don't care about anything else that isn't an ipad. For people that don't, a tablet PC has some more merit. For someone in the market for a new PC, a touch laptop or a tablet PC has more merit than an ipad.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #65


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Personally, that depends. If someone spent over 1,000 dollars to attempt to replace the use of a laptop, then yeah, I consider them to be an iDiot because that 1,000 can be WELL better spent on a touch enabled PC especially nowadays. Even a mac....
    Very few have spent close to $1000 on an iPad. Some people may simply not agree with you that a touch enabled PC is the better way to go. I think a lot of people are simply past the PC these days. They don't want the hassle, they don't want the maintenance and they don't want the same ole, same ole thing that they have had in the past. They don't need what the PC can offer to them. Many simply prefer the simplicity of other devices and the trendiness that come along with them. You seem to fail to see that people could value these things.
    Now I can tell you I've yet to meet a person that can live without a PC and don't want the same ole, same ole. Certain people I find over a certain age do, for sure. But if you're 22 years old and in college, an ipad is the biggest waste of cash in the world just to go facebook, iTunes, and music streaming. A laptop PC is used to do that and everything more. A tablet PC would be a pretty decent way to go if a tablet were to be chosen in that scenario. Someone who is 50 years old doesn't care so much about PC capabilities (as some here have already said themselves) on a tablet. But then again, that's probably not what a Windows 8 tablet PC's demographic is....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #66


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Didnt have to survey them. If they were so unhappy, they wouldn't have bought so many.
    People really wanted the ipad at launch?!

    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

    That's a good one!

    No one seems to remember EVER, how when the ipad was first introduced, the reviews were all over the place from being a giant ipod touch, a maxipad, to being a neat device but doesn't fit well in an already tech filled day. No one really cared for the ipad until later after launch, I remember it was used on that show Modern Family where one of the main characters got it for his birthday and used it to blow out candles on a fake cake. That was just before launch of it...I think of the first gen one or the second gen.... Not sure.

    Point is, the allure of apple being apple is the primary factor behind the ipad. It's just like the iphone, when you ask most people why it's so good, a lot will say, "Because it's apple or because it's an iphone" or something between those lines. A response like that basically means they have no logical reason why, other than the brand.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #67


    USA, Idaho
    Posts : 1,062
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)


    Please correct me if I am wrong (sure one of you will), albeit wasn't the whole idea behind the tablet/iPad revolution was to distance it from the computer thus bringing it in line with cloud services. There is this "Ole Boy" down in Sun Valley which is a golfing buddy who has never owned or worked with a computer even on the job (retired plumber) who just bought an iPad and just thinks the world of it along with the Apple cloud service. He bought it through AT&T, and they helped with the setup.

    BTW, retired plumbers who lived and worked in Sun Valley retired with a nice bank account. . .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #68


    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts : 573
    Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu


    Perhaps the lack of sync between an iPad and a PC is more to do with Apple than the basic design of the tablet, they are not actually known for their willingness to "play ball" with others.

    for example

    there is a standard for AC power connectors for phones and tablets, that is followed by all manufacturers worldwide except Apple.

    The headset jack, (For mic and inline system control), on all modern phones and tablets is basically interchangeable between models and manufacturers, except for apple who took the standard and modified, and patented it, so they could have a cut of all accessories sold.

    It's Apple's marketing strategy, and has been very successful

    I know Apple are still the top seller in the states, but this is not the case in the rest of the world If I connect any tablet apart from a iPad to my PC it shows as a standard external drive so any synch needed is simple
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #69


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    Barman, that's one of the reasons I wouldn't buy Apple at gunpoint.

    Wenda.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #70


    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts : 573
    Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu


    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Please correct me if I am wrong (sure one of you will), albeit wasn't the whole idea behind the tablet/iPad revolution was to distance it from the computer thus bringing it in line with cloud services. There is this "Ole Boy" down in Sun Valley which is a golfing buddy who has never owned or worked with a computer even on the job (retired plumber) who just bought an iPad and just thinks the world of it along with the Apple cloud service. He bought it through AT&T, and they helped with the setup.

    BTW, retired plumbers who lived and worked in Sun Valley retired with a nice bank account. . .
    Not going to correct something that is basically correct

    All tablets and smartphones are ostensibly "cloud devices", a lot of people have misgivings about the cloud, and I can understand this, but the plain fact is it's the way it is today.

    My tablet and smartphone mean I am always connected to the things I need to be to work, and I use Android and Google's cloud services the other IT monster out there, but it makes things easier for me, Though to be honest I miss the days of old, when I could go out into the wild and not be inundated with calls and emails
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Are you a tablet skeptic?
Related Threads
plz help i have lenovo thinkpad 2 tablet it was not running well so i decided to reset it ... but after 1 hr,it says "WINDOWS INSTALLATION FAILED PLEASE RESTART THE INSTALLATION" and it keeps on repeating the same thing... please help me ....
A tip for the tablet in Drivers & Hardware
Does Not matter which windows 8 tablet Shut down the OS when not being used it will save you about 50% battery usage I tested this on the Asus and surface pro tablets and it worked on both The OS uses a lot of battery even in sleep and hibernate mode on these tablets Also it will behave better,...
Which tablet should I get? in Drivers & Hardware
I'm looking to buy a clovertrail based tablet. I have the following 3 options in my grasp. Which one do you think is the best? 1. Asus Vivo Tab Smart (47.5k JPY) 2. Acer Iconia W510 (52k JPY) 3. DELL Latitude 10 Essentials (50k JPY) All are 64GB model and comes with no physical keyboard....
I am a PC, not a tablet in General Support
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V7NoRjI0H0 As far as I am aware, Microsoft are holding back the final look of the desktop version of Windows 8. That's according to CNet in any case. That said, they've had a lot to take on board the last few months feedback wise. I fear they have listened to...
Windows 8 on a Tablet in Windows 8 News
Can HP TouchPad Tablet exist along side the Microsoft Windows 8 Tablet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook