Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Are you a tablet skeptic?

  1. #11


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    I don't think tablets are going away, but I see a separation between tablets that replace laptops and tablets that serves purely as consumption devices. Consumption devices seem to be moving towards a 7" form-factor and work tablets seem to be 10"+.

    That doesn't mean that one can't do work related things with a 7" device, but it's probably not ideal. This is perhaps what the RT should have been and the Pro the 10" work tablet. Do you really need apps on a Surface Pro tablet? Do you really need apps on a desktop?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Somewhere in USA
    Posts : 233
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    I absolutely need a tablet pc. Why would I spend money on something half-assed when I can have everything I need in the palm of my hands. Made that mistake on an android tablet and had to deal with that for over a year. My life is finally complete. My Surface Pro goes everywhere with me watching flash tv, gaming, torrents, nzb's, etc., as easy as sitting at my old desktop.

    I feel like a tremendous weight has been lifted off my shoulders and can finally relax and do the things I want to whenever and wherever I go.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Well stated, EMINENT, and good for you! :thumbup:

    The RT is questionable, but I think the Pro will be a huge success.

    I'm looking into it, but I'm not sure if it'll fit my needs for I need to view blueprints that are usually in PDF. I may need a bigger screen, so an ultrabook may be what I'll need to get. Any which way, it'll have 8 on it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Considering that around 100 million iPads have been sold since they first came out, with Android tablets rapidly catching up (the best figures that I could find: Gartner Says Worldwide Media Tablets Sales to Reach 119 Million Units in 2012), it's clear that tablets shouldn't be dismissed. And the figures are just growing.

    But those sales wouldn't have gone to business users in the main, but consumers; based on the fact that BYOD discussions are still a major contention within organisations. So while a relatively small percentage of users (such as in this forum) use tablets for regular work, they are in the minority. To that end, the points raised in the article perhaps do have some validity in how tablets are mainly used.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 302
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Considering that around 100 million iPads have been sold since they first came out, with Android tablets rapidly catching up (the best figures that I could find: Gartner Says Worldwide Media Tablets Sales to Reach 119 Million Units in 2012), it's clear that tablets shouldn't be dismissed. And the figures are just growing.

    But those sales wouldn't have gone to business users in the main, but consumers; based on the fact that BYOD discussions are still a major contention within organisations. So while a relatively small percentage of users (such as in this forum) use tablets for regular work, they are in the minority. To that end, the points raised in the article perhaps do have some validity in how tablets are mainly used.
    As a consumption device, they're great. As you say, as a device to generate work(which does tend to be the minority), most people agree they suck, because they weren't built for it. Thats the nice part about the Surface Pro. It can easily do both.

    But for Joe the everyday worker, they're mainly just a device to manage media and data streams(mail, tv, social networking, movies, games, etc).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Somewhere in USA
    Posts : 233
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    I see the need for someone that can't afford a pc to resort to a Nexus 7 or iPad mini. Absolutely. I however, cannot justify the price of $200-$600 for a giant iPod/phone OS. I have a smartphone for that. I love how idiots compare ipads to laptops. The people that weren't going to buy a laptop wouldn't have bought one anyway. There is no eating of sales if there weren't any to begin with. People buy ipads for fun because it's cool. They don't do it because they need a pc.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Fiji
    Posts : 77
    7HP x64/7 Ultimate x32


    Quote Originally Posted by EMINENT View Post
    I see the need for someone that can't afford a pc to resort to a Nexus 7 or iPad mini. Absolutely. I however, cannot justify the price of $200-$600 for a giant iPod/phone OS. I have a smartphone for that. I love how idiots compare ipads to laptops. The people that weren't going to buy a laptop wouldn't have bought one anyway. There is no eating of sales if there weren't any to begin with. People buy ipads for fun because it's cool. They don't do it because they need a pc.
    What was that about idiots? More here if you don't get it

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Somewhere in USA
    Posts : 233
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Lomai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EMINENT View Post
    I see the need for someone that can't afford a pc to resort to a Nexus 7 or iPad mini. Absolutely. I however, cannot justify the price of $200-$600 for a giant iPod/phone OS. I have a smartphone for that. I love how idiots compare ipads to laptops. The people that weren't going to buy a laptop wouldn't have bought one anyway. There is no eating of sales if there weren't any to begin with. People buy ipads for fun because it's cool. They don't do it because they need a pc.
    What was that about idiots? More here if you don't get it

    Click image for larger version
    Exactly. Something to negate the need for paper, taking orders, etc. Things you don't need a pc for.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 85
    Windows 10 64-bit/ Windows 8.1 64-bit


    I like pen and paper. I run on a principle of I have a desktop and a laptop any situation where's it's awkward to use them while doing other things, is a situation I don't need a tablet for. I don't like tablets mainly as they encourage the kind of laziness where people barely understand their own hardware and use them for things they can do in real life, like writing with a pen and paper. People don't need to think less, if anything by the state of our world- we need to think more. I might write chapters and entire books at my desktop but I still use pens and have some autonomy from technology despite my love for it- the scary thing is the always plugged in environment. I mean, even I'm not that plugged into normal people who just interact with their smartphones and tablets- the former an actual really good reason why phone holding and driving is illegal.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by chrisa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Considering that around 100 million iPads have been sold since they first came out, with Android tablets rapidly catching up (the best figures that I could find: Gartner Says Worldwide Media Tablets Sales to Reach 119 Million Units in 2012), it's clear that tablets shouldn't be dismissed. And the figures are just growing.

    But those sales wouldn't have gone to business users in the main, but consumers; based on the fact that BYOD discussions are still a major contention within organisations. So while a relatively small percentage of users (such as in this forum) use tablets for regular work, they are in the minority. To that end, the points raised in the article perhaps do have some validity in how tablets are mainly used.
    As a consumption device, they're great. As you say, as a device to generate work(which does tend to be the minority), most people agree they suck, because they weren't built for it. Thats the nice part about the Surface Pro. It can easily do both.

    But for Joe the everyday worker, they're mainly just a device to manage media and data streams(mail, tv, social networking, movies, games, etc).
    That's the thing about the tablet form factor like the ipad and its android knockoffs, they're best used when you hold them close you, as they can't be propped up without third party solutions, and in the case of the ipad, it's "smart" cover is totally useless. Compare this with the Surface Pro, you have a tablet that has its own kickstand and it has a cover that is also a keyboard. Basically, it's like a netbook, or a small ultrabook. You can do work on either device that would normally be associated with such, and then real easily, convert over to a consumption device.

    Also, if you want to use such a tablet PC, its form factor is real nice for on the go. But, you lose the desktop like computing such as a large monitor, a full sized keyboard, and/or a touch mouse if you need to use one for a certain program. Or ideally, a touch monitor. An ipad can't connect to an external monitor with ease, android can. Then again, you don't use android for AutoCAD or Photoshop, more like Autodesk Sketchbook or Photoshop Touch. Unlike that, the Surface Pro and/or the tablet PC can do such. Connect on external peripherals, you can get a desktop type setup: larger (touch)screen, a larger keyboard, and with a USB hub, external hard drives to use Storage Spaces or to store large files and such. It's an interesting setup.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Are you a tablet skeptic?
Related Threads
plz help i have lenovo thinkpad 2 tablet it was not running well so i decided to reset it ... but after 1 hr,it says "WINDOWS INSTALLATION FAILED PLEASE RESTART THE INSTALLATION" and it keeps on repeating the same thing... please help me ....
A tip for the tablet in Drivers & Hardware
Does Not matter which windows 8 tablet Shut down the OS when not being used it will save you about 50% battery usage I tested this on the Asus and surface pro tablets and it worked on both The OS uses a lot of battery even in sleep and hibernate mode on these tablets Also it will behave better,...
Which tablet should I get? in Drivers & Hardware
I'm looking to buy a clovertrail based tablet. I have the following 3 options in my grasp. Which one do you think is the best? 1. Asus Vivo Tab Smart (47.5k JPY) 2. Acer Iconia W510 (52k JPY) 3. DELL Latitude 10 Essentials (50k JPY) All are 64GB model and comes with no physical keyboard....
I am a PC, not a tablet in General Support
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V7NoRjI0H0 As far as I am aware, Microsoft are holding back the final look of the desktop version of Windows 8. That's according to CNet in any case. That said, they've had a lot to take on board the last few months feedback wise. I fear they have listened to...
Windows 8 on a Tablet in Windows 8 News
Can HP TouchPad Tablet exist along side the Microsoft Windows 8 Tablet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook