Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8′s market share finally surpasses desktop Linux

  1. #41


    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    As to using the keyboard. When in Linux (as I am now) there are some mouse features that for some reason just don't work (will not go into them at this point), so the keyboard navigation features are a must.
    Don't forget that Linux GUIs use the Mouse Wheel button for some Copy/Move/Paste operations.

    You can automatically Paste highlighted text, using the Mouse Wheel button.
    Dragging and Dropping using the Mouse Wheel button brings up an options menu.

    Quote Originally Posted by pcRat View Post
    Why would somebody not want to use Metro Internet Explorer for online banking, a new shopping facebook etc. If it's safer than the desktop Internet Explorer?
    Maybe because of its upside-down layout?

    If you really want to be safe use a Live Linux CD/DVD (assuming you have checked it for rogue items).
    Nothing is going to get (permanently) written to the OS if you use a CD/DVD ROM.

    "Nasties" could get into your RAM though.

    Obviously you shouldn't surf the Internet before you visit the Bank.
    Once I read about Metro IE being more secure I had 2 options.

    1. Learn to work with the upside down program for security or
    2. Forsake security for right side up familiarity.



    once I found location of controls the upside down was no problem. I adapt easy I guess.

    I tried Ubuntu and been a loyal Windows fan since. Maybe Linux is easier.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #42


    Thanks freeeekyyy for attempting to straighten my mess. I corrected my original by redoing it not altering any quotes; then deleting the one in error.
    Thought I'd let you know
    Last edited by pcRat; 09 Apr 2013 at 20:53.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #43


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcRat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcRat View Post
    Why would somebody not want to use Metro Internet Explorer for online banking, a new shopping facebook etc. If it's safer than the desktop Internet Explorer?
    Maybe because of its upside-down layout?

    If you really want to be safe use a Live Linux CD/DVD (assuming you have checked it for rogue items).
    Nothing is going to get (permanently) written to the OS if you use a CD/DVD ROM.

    "Nasties" could get into your RAM though.

    Obviously you shouldn't surf the Internet before you visit the Bank.
    Once I read about Metro IE being more secure I had 2 options.
    1. Learn to work with the upside down program for security or
    2. Forsake security for right side up familiarity.


    once I found location of controls the upside down was no problem. I adapt easy I guess.

    I tried Ubuntu and been a loyal Windows fan since. Maybe Linux is easier.
    If you load desktop IE and go to advanced settings, you can enable "Enhanced Protected Mode" which makes it just as secure as Metro IE, running the 64 bit version, and don't have to deal with Metro IE's stupidness, like no tabs, etc. That's how I run it, and it seems to be working out pretty well.[/QUOTE]
    Ummm... immersive IE has tabs...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #44


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Quote Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
    Oh dear, another " change windows 8 or I'm taking my ball home" thread
    Right Nigel, there are too many of these moaning threads. Use the thing or don't use it. It is that simple.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #45


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
    Oh dear, another " change windows 8 or I'm taking my ball home" thread
    Right Nigel, there are too many of these moaning threads. Use the thing or don't use it. It is that simple.
    This, right here.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #46


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Some fail to understand that these sorts of posts are not just about Windows 8, but about the directions being taken by Microsoft. Windows 8 may be the precursor to potential radical change that may not be in everyone's interests. To stay silent and simply accept everything Microsoft thrusts in you, is pretty weak. And once again, this forum is not 'www.welovewindowseightforumseversomuch.com'.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #47


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Some fail to understand that these sorts of posts are not just about Windows 8, but about the directions being taken by Microsoft. Windows 8 may be the precursor to potential radical change that may not be in everyone's interests. To stay silent and simply accept everything Microsoft thrusts in you, is pretty weak. And once again, this forum is not 'www.welovewindowseightforumseversomuch.com'.
    Some fail to understand that the rest of the world and the rest of relevant platforms are already doing things that Windows 8 is now doing. Windows 8 is a precursor to a potential of technological changes that we've never thought of that are better than the old, as well as designing and building PCs that reflect the Natural User Interface which the past Windows can't support efficiently. To simply cry foul at seemingly POTENTIAL of future "undesirable" changes that aren't there yet (what they may be doesn't seem to be fully explained, as most prefer to cry foul all the time) and aren't in physical form. Or at least, changes that only affect a small niche of users versus the majority. Microsoft can't thrive in the 21st century based on a niche market, if that were the way things were, this wouldn't be a www.windowseightforums.com. It would be a www.linux500plusdistro.com or www.macos.com or www.android.com or www.chromebook.com or www.windowsxp.com or even www.cloudos.com. That's not the way the world works, the world of technology changes faster than anything out there; what was the trend five years ago isn't the trend anymore. What was relevant 10 years ago is a dying breed today.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #48


    historically, Microsoft is always late to the party. This time they have tried hosting the party and forcing people to like it.

    Windows 8 is a stepping stone release.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #49


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    That is an odd idea. If the rest of the world are already doing it - then 8 would not be a precursor.

    Cokie
    Some fail to understand that the rest of the world and the rest of relevant platforms are already doing things that Windows 8 is now doing. Windows 8 is a precursor ...
    Ray meant in terms of where MS is going - not looking very desirable to those who can see.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #50


    What he meant to say was "Windows 8 is the precursor to doing it right". LOL.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Windows 8′s market share finally surpasses desktop Linux
Related Threads
http://i57.tinypic.com/negnjb.jpg Source A Guy
XP Market Share Climbs Again in Windows 8 News
Windows XP market share climbs again as customers dig their heels in- The Inquirer "Last month, the 12-year old operating system accounted for 29.53 percent of the market, up 0.23 percent from January. On one hand, it's up only a fraction of a percent, but on the other Microsoft, which has been...
32422 32423 Source: Windows 8's market share declines, but factor in Windows 8.1 and it's up -- but only just
I'm not affiliated with this organization in any way, I just found this interesting... Antivirus Market Analysis: August 2013 | OPSWAT | Software management and security solutions
Surprise! Windows tablet market share jumps to 7.5% | Computerworld Blogs A rare find some good news on Windows 8.
Read more at source: Windows 8 market share jumped in December | ZDNet
5871 Source: Chitika
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook