Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8′s market share finally surpasses desktop Linux

  1. #21


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Coke seems to have a pathological hatred of the mouse and the start menu.

    I don't know if there is any treatment available for that.

    You have to feel sorry for him.
    Maybe he means one of those disease-carrying-ugly-type ones that bite....
    Those from the PC desk are OK to me.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Coke seems to suffer from a pathological hatred of the mouse and the start menu.

    I don't know if there is any treatment available for that.

    You have to feel sorry for him.
    You have a pathological hatred against anything new....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Back in 1987 I went out and bought a Mac Plus computer which came with the mouse. Now prior to having a computer without a mouse you had to now all the keyboard short cuts. After about a week of using the mouse I knew that going backward to keyboard short cuts would never happen. When people came by to visit they would see me working with the mouse and laugh, and of course I would look at them and say something truly profound like the mouse will be the way of the future in computing, and of course they would laugh.

    Fast forward to today, and the mouse is the only true way to work within the computing environment. Touch is nice, albeit you cannot work with CAD programs, drawing programs (Canvas 14, Illustrator, etc.), or any program which requires a really fine touch. I mean can you see Thomas Kindaid, or Lee Bogle (uses air brush to do his beautiful water colors) using touch to do their work.

    Touch is nice, but will it take the place of the mouse; in truth no.
    I know right, if the thinking that some have with touch applied to way back when the Palo Alto researchers presented the GUI and mouse to the Xerox executives that just laughed at them and poshed it off, we'd still be using DOS, or have had the GUI and mouse be introduced in the '90s. If it wasn't for apple, that would basically be the story.

    A mouse is nice, but not like touch. Go ahead and laugh, but in 10 years, I'll be the one mocking everyone else for their stubbornness and shortsightedness.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Coke, just a question.... how do you right-click with your finger?
    I mean, I don't want a link as an answer. I want you to actualy type the answer here and realize how long it is to do such basic task without a mouse.
    Eventualy the mouse will disapear but it won't be because of bulky touch screens which are by essence as unprecise as the diameter of your smallest finger. Whereas the mouse has practicaly a by-the-pixel definition.
    Hopachi, just to have to carry the tower, and plug it where there are monitor, mouse and keyboard and everything, is not that difficult. It's the accessories which are boring. Same problem with laptop. Carrying an external HDD is already much more a hassel.
    Lee It's interresting to note that despite the universal use of the mouse, keyboard shortcuts didn't disapear neither. They are much faster to use when you are typing because your fingers are already on the keyboard. It takes some memory space to function, I mean memory in your brain to remember them, but that's another story. I even copy text using only keyboard sometimes.
    That means that even if touch become universaly adopted as mouse replacement, and easier for some tasks, mice may still used for other tasks. I see touch rather an supplemental input deice rather than a replacemental one.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    USA, Idaho
    Posts : 1,062
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)


    Quote Originally Posted by Fredledingue View Post
    Coke, just a question.... how do you right-click with your finger?
    I mean, I don't want a link as an answer. I want you to actualy type the answer here and realize how long it is to do such basic task without a mouse.
    Eventualy the mouse will disapear but it won't be because of bulky touch screens which are by essence as unprecise as the diameter of your smallest finger. Whereas the mouse has practicaly a by-the-pixel definition.
    Hopachi, just to have to carry the tower, and plug it where there are monitor, mouse and keyboard and everything, is not that difficult. It's the accessories which are boring. Same problem with laptop. Carrying an external HDD is already much more a hassel.
    Lee It's interresting to note that despite the universal use of the mouse, keyboard shortcuts didn't disapear neither. They are much faster to use when you are typing because your fingers are already on the keyboard. It takes some memory space to function, I mean memory in your brain to remember them, but that's another story. I even copy text using only keyboard sometimes.
    That means that even if touch become universaly adopted as mouse replacement, and easier for some tasks, mice may still used for other tasks. I see touch rather an supplemental input deice rather than a replacemental one.
    Hi Fred,

    As to using the keyboard. When in Linux (as I am now) there are some mouse features that for some reason just don't work (will not go into them at this point), so the keyboard navigation features are a must. But, when in Windows, or OS X there is really not to many times that keyboard short cuts are needed. The must obivous ones for me are CMD/Windows keys plus "E" for File Explorer, "R" for Run, and a few "Control key" functions (cut, copy, paste, etc.). The key for me is it depends on what program is running at the time as to whether the keyboard or the mouse come into play.

    Remember when keyboard didn't have a numeric keypad. . .now you can hardly find one without a keypad other then Mac's.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    In fact, keyboard shortcuts are not much in use because poeple are too lazy or not enough curious to learn them. Alsmost every windows software has much of their menus accessible through shortcuts and if you use these menus often is much faster on a shortcut than searching them with the mouse through the menus.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    USA, Idaho
    Posts : 1,062
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)


    Quote Originally Posted by Fredledingue View Post
    In fact, keyboard shortcuts are not much in use because poeple are too lazy or not enough curious to learn them. Alsmost every windows software has much of their menus accessible through shortcuts and if you use these menus often is much faster on a shortcut than searching them with the mouse through the menus.
    It not that their lazy Fred, it just isn't something people think of these days. A couple of years ago there was a friend that taught computer classes, and she didn't teach anything on using the keyboard short cuts. When asked why she indicated people found the mouse did everything they needed.

    For some of us who started using computers (not personal) back in 70's and 80,s knowing keyboard short cuts were a must. But in today's computing world there is really no reason. People find moving their right/ left hand six to eight inches is just as easy as attempting to remember several dozen or more keyboard shorts. I printed out the short cuts for win 8 and was shocked at the number there were (122 at last count). Again, things change over time.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredledingue View Post
    In fact, keyboard shortcuts are not much in use because poeple are too lazy or not enough curious to learn them. Alsmost every windows software has much of their menus accessible through shortcuts and if you use these menus often is much faster on a shortcut than searching them with the mouse through the menus.
    It not that their lazy Fred, it just isn't something people think of these days. A couple of years ago there was a friend that taught computer classes, and she didn't teach anything on using the keyboard short cuts. When asked why she indicated people found the mouse did everything they needed.

    For some of us who started using computers (not personal) back in 70's and 80,s knowing keyboard short cuts were a must. But in today's computing world there is really no reason. People find moving their right/ left hand six to eight inches is just as easy as attempting to remember several dozen or more keyboard shorts. I printed out the short cuts for win 8 and was shocked at the number there were (122 at last count). Again, things change over time.
    I've been using keyboard shortcuts for a long time. Because it was hard to see the small writing in the start menu. So I switched the Winkey and Alt key which allow me to hold down Shift+Ctrl+Alt+ with one finger and press an alphabetical or number key with a finger from the other hand. It seemed like I had 33 keyboard shortcuts to open programs. Shift+Ctrl+Alt+W = Wordpad, Shift+Ctrl+Alt+X = MS Word, Shift+Ctrl+Alt+I = Internet Explorer, Shift+Ctrl+Alt+J = Fireox ...

    I was familiar with XP pro. I bought a laptop with Vista Home Premium and wanted to return it within an hour of having it. I forced myself to try it for three days. 15 minutes later I plugged Wacom in. The popout appeared to set up handwriting recognition, I read the details about it and clicked OK. That forced me to keep Vista until Windows 7 came out. Then I learn to press the Winkey and a letter(s) to make programs appear on start menu without navigating through folders.

    Then Windows 7 seemed fine. No problem.
    I tried Windows 8 and got hooked. Liked the big tiles on the start screen. Spend some time customizing it by removing apps I did not want and pinning programs I did want on the start screen because I use them regularly. Made some smaller. Pinned some to the taskbar. A few toolbars.

    Even the tile size in all apps is OK.
    Why would somebody not want to use Metro Internet Explorer for online banking, a new shopping facebook etc. If it's safer than the desktop Internet Explorer?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)

    Mouse Wheel button


    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    As to using the keyboard. When in Linux (as I am now) there are some mouse features that for some reason just don't work (will not go into them at this point), so the keyboard navigation features are a must.
    Don't forget that Linux GUIs use the Mouse Wheel button for some Copy/Move/Paste operations.

    You can automatically Paste highlighted text, using the Mouse Wheel button.
    Dragging and Dropping using the Mouse Wheel button brings up an options menu.

    Quote Originally Posted by pcRat View Post
    Why would somebody not want to use Metro Internet Explorer for online banking, a new shopping facebook etc. If it's safer than the desktop Internet Explorer?
    Maybe because of its upside-down layout?

    If you really want to be safe use a Live Linux CD/DVD (assuming you have checked it for rogue items).
    Nothing is going to get (permanently) written to the OS if you use a CD/DVD ROM.

    "Nasties" could get into your RAM though.

    Obviously you shouldn't surf the Internet before you visit the Bank.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    [QUOTE=Ray8;218309]People who would like to be informed, would do well to have a look at the source: Market share for mobile, browsers, operating systems and search engines | NetMarketShare.

    I guess Windows 8 is buried somewhere in 'Other'.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Windows 8′s market share finally surpasses desktop Linux
Related Threads
http://i57.tinypic.com/negnjb.jpg Source A Guy
XP Market Share Climbs Again in Windows 8 News
Windows XP market share climbs again as customers dig their heels in- The Inquirer "Last month, the 12-year old operating system accounted for 29.53 percent of the market, up 0.23 percent from January. On one hand, it's up only a fraction of a percent, but on the other Microsoft, which has been...
32422 32423 Source: Windows 8's market share declines, but factor in Windows 8.1 and it's up -- but only just
I'm not affiliated with this organization in any way, I just found this interesting... Antivirus Market Analysis: August 2013 | OPSWAT | Software management and security solutions
Surprise! Windows tablet market share jumps to 7.5% | Computerworld Blogs A rare find some good news on Windows 8.
Read more at source: Windows 8 market share jumped in December | ZDNet
5871 Source: Chitika
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook