Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 Coming in June

  1. #31


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Windows RT literally came out six months ago, Windows 8 is barely coming on the radar's of developers. Even with Windows Phone 8, all of a sudden, app developers are going on Windows Phone. A major app model change and a major UI change and a major OS change like that doesn't get adopted in six days.

    Keep your trousers on....
    For how long was Windows 8 available as previews etc? Six days? Microsoft is well known to engage developers very early before final release of a product, to ensure that things roll on quickly and smoothly from the outset. What happened? Lack of interest?

    The entire premise of Windows 8 is the MPI, a complete cross-platform OS. Developers can't abandon Windows 8 for Windows Phone, because they are one and the same. Aren't they? And we aren't really talking about the MPI here, were talking about what it can provide. Which, at the moment, is very little.

    Keep my trousers on? From someone whose shorts are around their ankles?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Windows RT literally came out six months ago, Windows 8 is barely coming on the radar's of developers. Even with Windows Phone 8, all of a sudden, app developers are going on Windows Phone. A major app model change and a major UI change and a major OS change like that doesn't get adopted in six days.

    Keep your trousers on....
    For how long was Windows 8 available as previews etc? Six days? Microsoft is well known to engage developers very early before final release of a product, to ensure that things roll on quickly and smoothly from the outset. What happened? Lack of interest?

    The entire premise of Windows 8 is the MPI, a complete cross-platform OS. Developers can't abandon Windows 8 for Windows Phone, because they are one and the same. Aren't they? And we aren't really talking about the MPI here, were talking about what it can provide. Which, at the moment, is very little.

    Keep my trousers on? From someone whose shorts are around their ankles?
    No developer made their app or software or drivers for Windows 8 UNTIL after the RTM was shipped out. Developer can't abandon Windows Phone to Windows 8, simply because it's easier to code for. Make an app on Windows 8, retweak for Windows Phone. Make an app on Windows Phone, retweak it for Windows 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    No developer made their app or software or drivers for Windows 8 UNTIL after the RTM was shipped out. Developer can't abandon Windows Phone to Windows 8, simply because it's easier to code for. Make an app on Windows 8, retweak for Windows Phone. Make an app on Windows Phone, retweak it for Windows 8.
    So not one, single, developer (under NDA) had any access to Windows 8 until three months before public release? So Microsoft, all on their own, developed every app that came with Windows 8 on its release, or developers feverishly developed and tested these in just three months?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    No developer made their app or software or drivers for Windows 8 UNTIL after the RTM was shipped out. Developer can't abandon Windows Phone to Windows 8, simply because it's easier to code for. Make an app on Windows 8, retweak for Windows Phone. Make an app on Windows Phone, retweak it for Windows 8.
    So not one, single, developer (under NDA) had any access to Windows 8 until three months before public release? So Microsoft, all on their own, developed every app that came with Windows 8 on its release, or developers feverishly developed and tested these in just three months?
    Are you intentionally trying to start something that shouldn't even be started if this were anyone else?....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    No developer made their app or software or drivers for Windows 8 UNTIL after the RTM was shipped out. Developer can't abandon Windows Phone to Windows 8, simply because it's easier to code for. Make an app on Windows 8, retweak for Windows Phone. Make an app on Windows Phone, retweak it for Windows 8.
    So not one, single, developer (under NDA) had any access to Windows 8 until three months before public release? So Microsoft, all on their own, developed every app that came with Windows 8 on its release, or developers feverishly developed and tested these in just three months?
    Are you intentionally trying to start something that shouldn't even be started if this were anyone else?....
    You made a statement that you emphasised as fact. I merely questioned that statement. If you don't wish to be challenged, then be careful with what you write.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post

    So not one, single, developer (under NDA) had any access to Windows 8 until three months before public release? So Microsoft, all on their own, developed every app that came with Windows 8 on its release, or developers feverishly developed and tested these in just three months?
    Are you intentionally trying to start something that shouldn't even be started if this were anyone else?....
    You made a statement that you emphasised as fact. I merely questioned that statement. If you don't wish to be challenged, then be careful with what you write.
    There really wasn't anything to question....

    If you want an example to refute your questioning, why hasn't the VLC development team not release their WinRT app already?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    If you want an example to refute your questioning, why hasn't the VLC development team not release their WinRT app already?
    Maybe they are not interested. Maybe they see it of no value, Maybe they see RT as dead in the water.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    If you want an example to refute your questioning, why hasn't the VLC development team not release their WinRT app already?
    Maybe they are not interested. Maybe they see it of no value, Maybe they see RT as dead in the water.
    Oh really?...

    VLC for the new Windows 8 User Experience ("Metro") by VideoLAN New report about the WinRT port — Kickstarter
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    That's awesome, VLC has almost reinvented their wheel. I wonder how many app developers are just going to say "screw it, I'm not going to be bothered with all of this"?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    If you want an example to refute your questioning, why hasn't the VLC development team not release their WinRT app already?
    Maybe they are not interested. Maybe they see it of no value, Maybe they see RT as dead in the water.
    Oh really?...

    VLC for the new Windows 8 User Experience ("Metro") by VideoLAN New report about the WinRT port — Kickstarter
    Why pose a question and then later post an answer, which you already knew? You do have a very strange way of going about things.

    But then, your post doesn't support your argument (that I think you're trying to pose) in any case. VLC may not be one of the Microsoft approved developers that gets advance details of software, they may not have been interested in developing for RT at the time, they may not have had the resources available, or any number of reasons.
    One swallow does not a summer make
    .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Windows 8.1 Coming in June
Related Threads
I did a restart, logged in and screen remained blank. I tried to restart several times and had the same problem. Finally I did a system restore and booted okay. I then deleted all files and folders in Windows/SoftwareDistribution and changed the windows update setting to not check for updates...
More...
FWIW: MS's site says that if you bought windows 7 machine after 2 June 2012 then you can get the windows 8 pro upgrade for $14.99 by registering on their site. Buy a Windows 7 PC between June 2, 2012 and January 31, 2013. * Windows 8 upgrade offer - Windows 8 special offer *Offer...
Windows 8 Release Preview coming ' first week of June '
Source: Windows 8 Design Demo on a Slate Planned for June 2011, Reportedly - Softpedia
Rumor: Windows 8 Tablet UI demo set for June? | WinRumors
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook