Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 in 7" form factor

  1. #11


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    I have no smartphone - no cell phone at all. I would not even have a phone if it was not for the wife. There is a phone booth down the road. That would suffice for me.
    The nearest phone booth from my house I THINK, it probably at least 13 miles away from me. I honestly don't believe we have any of those anymore.

    But honestly, if it weren't for texting and data use for GPS navigating and being able to check my bank account balances anywhere in town, I wouldn't even have my Windows Phone connected. But I do because of the time to time calls I get, and the messages, and the email...
    LOL, I don't do any texting, in my bank account there is nothing to check and anyhow, I don't want to be bothered by the phone. People who want to tell me something can send me a letter, or an email.

    In my country they still kept a lot of the phone booths. I have two within 500 yards.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 22,581
    64-bit Windows 10

    New Windows 8 specs could open door for 7-inch tablets


    Microsoft's move to relax the minimum resolution for Windows 8 devices could trigger a slew of seven-inch Windows 8 tablets.

    An update to Microsoft's Windows Certification Newsletter, uncovered by Ed Bott of CNET sister site ZDNet announced the change in the required resolution for Windows 8 tablets.

    To claim Windows 8 certification, a tablet can now offer a minimum resolution of 1,024x768 at a depth of 32 bits. That's a change from the previous guidelines, which specify a minimum resolution of 1,366x768. Microsoft said it isn't encouraging device makers to shoot for such a low resolution but noted that "partners exploring designs for certain markets could find greater design flexibility helpful."


    Read more at source:
    New Windows 8 specs could open door for 7-inch tablets | Microsoft - CNET News
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    I have no smartphone - no cell phone at all. I would not even have a phone if it was not for the wife. There is a phone booth down the road. That would suffice for me.
    The nearest phone booth from my house I THINK, it probably at least 13 miles away from me. I honestly don't believe we have any of those anymore.

    But honestly, if it weren't for texting and data use for GPS navigating and being able to check my bank account balances anywhere in town, I wouldn't even have my Windows Phone connected. But I do because of the time to time calls I get, and the messages, and the email...
    LOL, I don't do any texting, in my bank account there is nothing to check and anyhow, I don't want to be bothered by the phone. People who want to tell me something can send me a letter, or an email.

    In my country they still kept a lot of the phone booths. I have two within 500 yards.
    If I had courier pigeons, I'd be set for the rest of my life.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Yeah right, pigeons are tasty - in a nice sauce.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 302
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I still don't get why a 7 inch tablet would be desired. I can't see using Windows RT on such a small form factor, let along Office! That's crossing into the line of something Windows Phone should cover... But won't because that's not what Microsoft has ever planned on doing.
    People prefer 7" tablets for everyday stuff. Something you can put in the purse or pocket and carry around with you to the store or wherever, 7" is also a far better form factor for a reader(as Amazon can tell you). Keep a shopping list with it, play games, etc. 10" is far harder to do that with. At the same time, most POS systems or apps you might want a worker to use also work fine at 7" without the higher cost.

    Its the reason they're also selling phablets at just under 7".. simply add cell phone access and then you don't need the second device.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Yeah right, pigeons are tasty - in a nice sauce.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by chrisa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I still don't get why a 7 inch tablet would be desired. I can't see using Windows RT on such a small form factor, let along Office! That's crossing into the line of something Windows Phone should cover... But won't because that's not what Microsoft has ever planned on doing.
    People prefer 7" tablets for everyday stuff. Something you can put in the purse or pocket and carry around with you to the store or wherever, 7" is also a far better form factor for a reader(as Amazon can tell you). Keep a shopping list with it, play games, etc. 10" is far harder to do that with. At the same time, most POS systems or apps you might want a worker to use also work fine at 7" without the higher cost.

    Its the reason they're also selling phablets at just under 7".. simply add cell phone access and then you don't need the second device.
    I can barely fit a 4.5 phone in my left pocket as it is... The people I see that have the giant phones ALWAYS have them in their back pocket. I don't do that for several reasons, one being I feel like I will sit on it to death.

    All that you listed for a 7 inch tablet can be done just as well on a 5 inch phone or 4.5 or 4.25 inch one. A POS terminal will always be at least 12 inches, 7 is by far too small for that to work well.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    All that you listed for a 7 inch tablet can be done just as well on a 5 inch phone or 4.5 or 4.25 inch one. A POS terminal will always be at least 12 inches, 7 is by far too small for that to work well.
    I think it all depends what you do on the tablet and how good your eyesight is. I don't do any real work on the tablet, just information retrieval, navigation and trip planning, entertainment and phone calls. And with my poor eyesight, I find the 7" tablet very suitable for my needs. Besides, it is a lot cheaper than a fancy 4.5" smartphone.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 302
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    All that you listed for a 7 inch tablet can be done just as well on a 5 inch phone or 4.5 or 4.25 inch one. A POS terminal will always be at least 12 inches, 7 is by far too small for that to work well.
    Really. Obviously someone who has never bought anything in a Microsoft or Apple Store(the physical ones).

    There are no registers. The POS terminal(at least in the Microsoft store) is a hand held device the size of a smart phone with a swiper attached. They scan or input the item, and then they simply swipe the card and output the receipt with a printer. As long as you can differentiate whats being ordered effectively, Either through transmission via a smart phone or simply scanning a code, screen size doesn't really matter.

    Even if you're an independent merchant, these days companies will provide you a plugin swiper(its a device like an inch in size) and app to your tablet so you can sell your stuff to people with credit cards out at say flea markets. There is no magic 12 inch constraint.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    I doubt whether those other device makers really care about that.
    The manufacturer might not care, but the owners might. There have been a few posts where Windows 8 was tried on those lower resolution devices and Metro apps wouldn't work because the screen resolution was too small. Or Windows 8 wouldn't install at all. Those owners didn't really get to try it let alone buy it. I have one PC with two 19 inch 4:3 1280 by 1024 monitors. Metro snap will not work because they are not wide enough.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows 8 in 7" form factor
Related Threads
I am running windows 8.1. I just turned on my computer and got the following screen. It wont recognize keyboard input as normal characters nor will it allow me to connect to the internet. It was perfectly on 3 hrs ago before I turned it off then back on again. The link below shows you what my...
Will Microsoft add two-factor authentication to Microsoft Accounts? More info here: Microsoft to add dual-factor sign-on security 'soon': report | Microsoft - CNET News Regardless of whether Microsoft Accounts will have 2-factor authentication, it seems there's already good news for...
Hello, I have 2 Windowses on my PC and I would like to play games that I have installed on W7 on W8 but there is a problem. Some games dont worked because of d3dx9 dll's and I solved it with installing DirectX , some games missed VC++/.Net. But now there are some games that still dont work. Like...
Hi, I was getting Error 0x80073cf9 while downloading apps form windows 8 store. So first I did a refresh and now it is still not working any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Source: Windows 8 Form Factors from Microsoft, and Next Gen Subscription-based PCs - Softpedia
Source - http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-8-the-Mind-Blowing-Factor-134859.shtml
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook