Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Deep inside Windows Blue: 10 coolest features

  1. #41


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I have for about a week. I will be sinking money into it. And no, I had no arm cramps, once again, I must be doing something right here.
    Perhaps your physiology is suited to reaching out 3-4 feet to a touch screen, and to do so all day, without any aches or pains. Most people aren't gifted like that and would tire fairly quickly from holding their arms in the air for protracted periods of time.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #42


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    I've said this before and I'll say it again, you don't need a mouse with a touchscreen. If you do, you honestly are doing it wrong or doing something wrong. Never had to use a mouse, never felt like I needed one, and won't ever. Why? I don't know, maybe I'm doing something right.
    You always make the assumption that the billions of PC users want touch screens on their PC. But that is not so.

    Touch screens on PCs make some sense for people with disabilities, children at the kindergarden age and Orangutans.

    Touch screens do, however, make a lot of sense for smartphones, small tablets, Garmin navigation screens, small screens on cameras and anything else that is being used away from the desk. Plus for businesses that employ associates that cannot count to 10.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #43


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    Neither of my laptops have touch screens. Nor does my desktop box.

    Nor will their replacements.

    Touch is a wasted technology on 'real' computers, and is useless for doing anything productive.

    Nothing I do is made easier by using touch, and many things are rendered impossible.

    A mouse/101-keyboard combo is BY FAR the most efficient way to operate a computer.

    Touch is not, it doesn't even come close, and will not become a satisfactory alternative for serious users.

    Wenda.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #44


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Touch is akin to flicking through pages in a magazine or the like, handling a finished product. Touch is not for producing the content of the magazine ie composing the text, cropping and aligning photos etc.

    That's why the mouse and keyboard, predominantly, are essential for those who create content, not consume content.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #45


    Quote Originally Posted by Fredledingue View Post
    LOL.
    Unfortunately some poeple have preceded your humor in reality...

    How am I supposed to drive with the left hand while I regulate heat, radio or the gps with the right one? This is the same stupidity as touch screen or whatever is invented to look new.
    If the steering wheel is round shaped and in front of yourself (not on the side) on all of the billions of vehicles on the roads globaly it's because it's the best way to drive safely and acurately. If all of the billions of computers in the world have a keyboard and a mouse and also resizeable windows and a taskbar, it also because it's the best way.
    Do they think we haven't tested other systems before?!!!
    Ok. Agree. The joystick may be in the wrong place. Place it in the driver center, on the left, or wherever. Place the controls you mentioned to use with the left hand. Use a portable game controller. Whatever.

    Quite honestly the link was to get some here to think past their noses. Just because we use a traditional means of navigation, doesn't mean there's not a better way.

    I think the human finger, hand gestures, or body motions for that matter to be the fastest way of navigation or interacting with a system. Look at the technology of Kinect.

    Some here state that a touch monitor to navigate with a desktop PC is absurd, but then you state it's ok on a pad or a laptop, so therefore I'll assume that you must see the advantages of touch. Yes? No?

    I've read anywhere from "My arms will tire" to "We shouldn't sit so close to the monitor" to "I'll go blind" to all sorts of stuff. As to the first one, lower the desktop or raise the seat/chair. Who says it has to be at traditional levels? Tilt the monitor more. Who says it has to be at the traditional angle? As to all of them, we'll shove tablets and phones in our face, yet we're going to complain that a monitor is too close? I don't understand that at all.

    Bottom line about 8.....I'm a shortcut keys user. I dare say I get around in 8 much faster than 7. I dual boot so I trained myself to use the mouse with 8 and 7 for a few weeks each. Guess what? 8 won so far as I'm concerned. Why is that you may ask? The Start Screen/All Apps versus the Start Menu/Taskbar.

    Those are my test findings and thoughts, but hey. That's me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #46


    Fiji
    Posts : 77
    7HP x64/7 Ultimate x32


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredledingue View Post
    LOL.
    Unfortunately some poeple have preceded your humor in reality...

    How am I supposed to drive with the left hand while I regulate heat, radio or the gps with the right one? This is the same stupidity as touch screen or whatever is invented to look new.
    If the steering wheel is round shaped and in front of yourself (not on the side) on all of the billions of vehicles on the roads globaly it's because it's the best way to drive safely and acurately. If all of the billions of computers in the world have a keyboard and a mouse and also resizeable windows and a taskbar, it also because it's the best way.
    Do they think we haven't tested other systems before?!!!
    Ok. Agree. The joystick may be in the wrong place. Place it in the driver center, on the left, or wherever. Place the controls you mentioned to use with the left hand. Use a portable game controller. Whatever.

    Quite honestly the link was to get some here to think past their noses. Just because we use a traditional means of navigation, doesn't mean there's not a better way.

    I think the human finger, hand gestures, or body motions for that matter to be the fastest way of navigation or interacting with a system. Look at the technology of Kinect.

    Some here state that a touch monitor to navigate with a desktop PC is absurd, but then you state it's ok on a pad or a laptop, so therefore I'll assume that you must see the advantages of touch. Yes? No?

    I've read anywhere from "My arms will tire" to "We shouldn't sit so close to the monitor" to "I'll go blind" to all sorts of stuff. As to the first one, lower the desktop or raise the seat/chair. Who says it has to be at traditional levels? Tilt the monitor more. Who says it has to be at the traditional angle? As to all of them, we'll shove tablets and phones in our face, yet we're going to complain that a monitor is too close? I don't understand that at all.

    Bottom line about 8.....I'm a shortcut keys user. I dare say I get around in 8 much faster than 7. I dual boot so I trained myself to use the mouse with 8 and 7 for a few weeks each. Guess what? 8 won so far as I'm concerned. Why is that you may ask? The Start Screen/All Apps versus the Start Menu/Taskbar.

    Those are my test findings and thoughts, but hey. That's me.
    I agree, natural motion is the future.
    Hoping MS develops a "Kick-Centric App" for 8 and subsequent versions, in the near-term. That way, if your arms tire out, you can use your feet to type out your post.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #47


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    I think Windows 8 also needs a head bobbing detector, with maybe a tongue sensor included. Thus all major body parts can be integrated into a seamless device control system.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #48


    Fiji
    Posts : 77
    7HP x64/7 Ultimate x32


    ...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #49


    Posts : 302
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Touch is akin to flicking through pages in a magazine or the like, handling a finished product. Touch is not for producing the content of the magazine ie composing the text, cropping and aligning photos etc.

    That's why the mouse and keyboard, predominantly, are essential for those who create content, not consume content.
    Right. Which is why the 4-way interface will be the standard. You use touch for those things which are best done with touch, and the mouse/kb for those things best done with the mouse/kb. If you want to use mouse/kb exclusively, you can, but are much less effective for certain tasks. If you want to use touch exclusively, you can, but are much less effective for certain tasks.

    Its a strawman argument to claim that touch is bad because the keyboard and mouse are going away as options for input. They aren't. Touch is simply a different method of input, and generally much faster and far more efficent for those things like you say.. consuming content, of which happens a lot on the PC.

    And in case you guys haven't been noticing, more and more people are coming around to the fact that the 10" form factor is going to be owned by the convertibles. They won't have the same adoption rate as the tablets due to price, and generally it will take longer for adoption given the life of laptops. But even Apple is starting to get their act in gear and have the iOS and Mac teams actually in the same room.

    Why? Its probably exactly what you think.

    At some point in the near future they're going to want a touch-enabled macbook air that can run the iOS ecosystem and compete at 10". In doing that, OS X has to be updated to support it, at which point you get touch on the Mac by default. Who knows.. they might even have a breakaway keyboard :P.

    See, thats the thing here... touch had to come to make Microsoft Surface tablet products possible. And if they were going to update Windows, you simply got PC compliance as part of the deal.

    But really.. just sit back and watch... no way Apple cedes the 10" arena to Microsoft & their OEM Friends. At least they have plenty of money to throw into it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #50


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    My tablet and my smartphone both have touchscreens. However, like the vast majority of people, neither has win8 on it. My touchscreens both have android. I cannot foresee that changing, regardless of what ms does. It's not impossible, just not likely.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Deep inside Windows Blue: 10 coolest features
Related Threads
Hi there guys/gals, 1st time posting here so i'll try to keep it as brief as possible with as much info as possible. System windows 8 amd fx 6200 cpu 16 gb ram msi 990fx gd55 MOBO 750w akasa venom psu HD 7850 2gb ddr5
Robotic Asteroid Prospector :)
I've been backing up "My Documents" with CDBurnerXP because 1. I consider Windows Backups to be opaque and I prefer to keep them simple and to know what is going on 2. Windows Backups does some things I believe are risky so I will not use it 3. Windows 7 had a deep directory structure problem...
Source A Guy
see full 5 page review
The Coolest Windows 8 Watch Concept
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook