Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows Blue - small look at leaked build 9364

  1. #141


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Actually, Microsoft does know how a laptop is being used for volcanic gas studies through the Customer Improvement Program I believe it's called, which is enabled by default. That's how they get information about user metrics and such. Which is also why they redesigned Start...

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #142


    Manchester CT
    Posts : 693
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Blue is a giant update to Windows, Windows Phone, Office (on a separate cycle), Bing, Outlook.com and everything else that got refreshed this past year from Microsoft.
    Heh, Blue refreshes everything that I DON'T use in Windows 8. Don't use Metro, Bing, IE or Outlook.com. I have yet to hear of any changes to the Core Window or the desktop in particular. For now, Blue is a worthless upgrade for me...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #143


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    The first thing I do is disable CIP. If Microsoft wants to know what I do, let them ask, not pry.
    Last edited by Ray8; 10 Apr 2013 at 16:32.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #144


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Hi there
    I don't think doing a University Thesis sitting at the top of the Vatnajökull Glacier with the possibility of the Grímsvötn Volcano about to erupt that the thought of the Ms CIP would even register on my mind (or anybody else's on the same University project doing these measurements). We were much more concerned with getting the data SAFELY and then getting home again. -- Actually it was a GREAT project -- but I'm quite sure Ms wouldn't have had a CLUE about what we were measuring and how we were taking measurements and what the conclusions would be as to forecasting a possible future eruption -- so we could avoid plunging Northern Europe into total Air traffic disaster -- remember recently what chaos a smallish Icelandic volcano eruption caused to air travel recently.

    Sometimes people seem to think Ms has more agents in place than the CIA / Mi6 / FSB / French security service etc. all put together.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #145


    Posts : 239
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Actually, Microsoft does know how a laptop is being used for volcanic gas studies through the Customer Improvement Program I believe it's called, which is enabled by default. That's how they get information about user metrics and such. Which is also why they redesigned Start...
    I don't buy that for one minute. MS know they are loosing market share if you combine desktop/laptop/tablet. Sure they may have 90% plus of the declining desktop/laptop market but once you throw in tablets then it's anyone's guess.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #146


    Posts : 37
    Windows 8 Pro


    The way people talk about touch interfaces reminds me of the way they talked about GUIs 20 years ago. The command line is better, desktop interfaces are toys, etc. Looking back, we all know they were fools. Yet people get roped into the same idiotic thinking now. Not sure that metro is at desktop usability yet, but it will be. Denying the future is stupid.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #147


    USA, Idaho
    Posts : 1,062
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)


    Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    The way people talk about touch interfaces reminds me of the way they talked about GUIs 20 years ago. The command line is better, desktop interfaces are toys, etc. Looking back, we all know they were fools. Yet people get roped into the same idiotic thinking now. Not sure that metro is at desktop usability yet, but it will be. Denying the future is stupid.
    Think maybe I could learn to like you. . .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #148


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    The GUI is what brought the computer into the mainstream and got average people involved, and the command line is still in use today. Touch is nothing new, nor is it in anyway comparable to the impact that the GUI had on computing. Touch is just an alternative way to interact with a device, I don't understand why people elevate touch to some god like stature just because Windows 8 has made it more mainstream in Windows computers.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #149


    Posts : 302
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    The GUI is what brought the computer into the mainstream and got average people involved, and the command line is still in use today.
    Not by the average user, or even quite a few high-end users. Only an extremely select niche only ever touch the command line. Most people 20-30 or younger don't even know what a command line is, much less how to use one.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #150


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by chrisa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    The GUI is what brought the computer into the mainstream and got average people involved, and the command line is still in use today.
    Not by the average user, or even quite a few high-end users. Only an extremely select niche only ever touch the command line. Most people 20-30 or younger don't even know what a command line is, much less how to use one.
    I didn't say that the average user uses the command line; that's why I had a break in my sentence (,) and continued with a separate, but related comment that the command line still exists.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Windows Blue - small look at leaked build 9364
Related Threads
Read more here: Windows 8.1 Update: 'Blue' OS Build 9385 Pictures 'Leak' : Tech : Latinos Post
Hi everyone ! We have another build to play with ! ISO tag is: 9374.0.FBL_PARTNER_OUT15.130329-2355_X86FRE_CLIENT_EN-US-IMP_CCSA_DV5.ISO MD5: 0fa9ab7cbc4722db0ff9b31e79f5b548 Download is available from some well known Beta Sites FTPs and torrents ! 20580
Nothing like a fresh leak to generate a pleasant insomnia ! Changes since build 9369 1) Not Blue, but Windows 8.1 Preview 20595 2) Unselected tiles darkened in customization mode 20594
Windows 8 Build 7989 leaked in Windows 8 News
Read more here The article is brief, but it shows 2 out of 4 new screenshots of the build 7989, a Milestone 3 copy built in April. BetaArchives members seem to be both trying to get and leak this built, while also discussing whether this is actually real or not. The topic can be found here. I...
Windows 8 the First Leaked Screenshots – Build 6.1.7900.0 - Softpedia
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook