Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows RT a necessary disruption

  1. #61


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    The Medion make they also sell in Germany. Tevion I have never heard of. In Germany it's the same. If they have one of their electronic sales, people line up and if you come at e.g. 10AM, you are out of luck. I think they cannot afford to keep that stuff on the shelves. Would hurt their cash flow.

    We have one small Aldi now in the area where I spend the winter here in Florida. But I never went. I don't really like their stores. They are too bland and you have nobody who can help you in a professional way. It's just cheapo - but that I can find on the internet too. At least there I get a bit of information about the product.
    Medion is the computer related line and Tevion is the audio-visual related line of products (though they appear to now be selling audio-visual related stuff under the Bauhn name). There's a lot of info about their gear on-line, which you can study before the sales come up, so that you can decide whether the gear is for you.

    The Aldi stores are much the same here when it comes to style and advice, but that's how they keep the prices down and provide significant competition, especially in the grocery line, to our two major stores Coles and Woolworths. Aldi has also had an impact on the price of electronic and electrical goods, causing some major price drops by their competitors in the budget range of gear. We buy some of our groceries from Aldi and I've bought a lot electronic gear and tools from them, and never had any issues with any of their gear.

    Their warranty is also top notch and always honoured. For example, with the last Android tablet, you could try it out for 60 days and if not happy, return it for a full refund. No one else that I know of is prepared to do the same. I bought my wife a Medion laptop at least four years ago and it came with a 30 day trial and two year warranty; no other laptop manufacturer had even a two year warranty. And that laptop is still going strong.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #62


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    The Medion make they also sell in Germany. Tevion I have never heard of. In Germany it's the same. If they have one of their electronic sales, people line up and if you come at e.g. 10AM, you are out of luck. I think they cannot afford to keep that stuff on the shelves. Would hurt their cash flow.

    We have one small Aldi now in the area where I spend the winter here in Florida. But I never went. I don't really like their stores. They are too bland and you have nobody who can help you in a professional way. It's just cheapo - but that I can find on the internet too. At least there I get a bit of information about the product.
    So where do you come from, because all the Aldi stores I've seen in Germany are far from bland, they're usually packed to the rafters. I've never been to one in America I usually shop at Costco if they'll let me in without their coupon, which they have numerous times, they have some good cheap booze as well.
    Maybe 'bland' was the wrong word. I mean not very inviting. I don't want to buy out of cartons. They don't even make an effort to put their stuff into shelves.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #63


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    MS have to get this stuff out at much lower prices.

    Even then, it won't be easy.

    On a different note:

    Samsung and google are doing watches (not just for telling the time ), allegedly.

    Might be a bit of a race between the three to get it out to market first.

    That could be interesting - maybe in a few years, MS will have a go.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #64


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    The Medion make they also sell in Germany. Tevion I have never heard of. In Germany it's the same. If they have one of their electronic sales, people line up and if you come at e.g. 10AM, you are out of luck. I think they cannot afford to keep that stuff on the shelves. Would hurt their cash flow.

    We have one small Aldi now in the area where I spend the winter here in Florida. But I never went. I don't really like their stores. They are too bland and you have nobody who can help you in a professional way. It's just cheapo - but that I can find on the internet too. At least there I get a bit of information about the product.
    So where do you come from, because all the Aldi stores I've seen in Germany are far from bland, they're usually packed to the rafters. I've never been to one in America I usually shop at Costco if they'll let me in without their coupon, which they have numerous times, they have some good cheap booze as well.
    Maybe 'bland' was the wrong word. I mean not very inviting. I don't want to buy out of cartons. They don't even make an effort to put their stuff into shelves.
    I think the brothers must have known what they're doing to become the richest guys in Germany. If I can save money I don't care whether its in a carton or not.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #65


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    I am different. I like creature comforts and a pleasant atmosphere. I don't mind to pay a bit more.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #66


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    I am different. I like creature comforts and a pleasant atmosphere. I don't mind to pay a bit more.
    I like creature comforts, just not when it comes to buying stuff like groceries, as long as its clean and tidy which Aldi around here always is.
    I really do have 3 stores within 10 to 15 minutes from me, the other two will be about 5 to 7 minutes, I'm in Aldi paradise.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #67


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by chrisa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeigs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    I don't know whether I would buy an Acer. But there is always this one for $599 with coupon code S5555555

    Asus VivoBook 15.6" Touch Screen Ultrabook, Black i5-3317U 1.7GHz #S500CA-DS51T S500CA-DS51T
    That is sweet. One wonders why someone would purchase a Surface Pro when you could pick this up. Cost and screen size seem so much better.
    The Hard Drives are weak. Only a 24gig SSD, which i'm not sure you could get Windows 8 on. It also includes a slow 5400RPM clunker.
    Physical Size is huge in comparison, even more so when you go to to tablet mode on the Pro.
    The screen resolution is crap. 1366X768? Seriously?
    Nearly two and a half times the weight.

    I mean, its fine if all you want is a cheapo clunker of a laptop with weak screen res and weak hard drives. But don't pretend its the same quality and specs as the Surface Pro. Its not.
    No, the hard drive I'd take over 128 gigs of SSD storage of the Surface Pro. It's a hybrid hard drive with basically a giant SSD cache chip in which the system monitors your program usage and dumps your heavily used apps onto that for quicker booting of those. For more storage, you can easily swap out for an actual 256 gig SSD. There are more I/O ports, and a number pad.

    But a laptop isn't a tablet PC. Maybe soon if an OEM or Microsoft builds a very proper tablet PC that is the straight up equivalent of a laptop, then yes.

    Also, 600 dollars for that isn't a bad AT ALL! It's a very nicely built PC, I've been toying around with it in stores when I see it, it's quite solid. It's similar in design to Vizio's ultrabook.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #68


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    I like creature comforts, just not when it comes to buying stuff like groceries, as long as its clean and tidy which Aldi around here always is.
    I really do have 3 stores within 10 to 15 minutes from me, the other two will be about 5 to 7 minutes, I'm in Aldi paradise.
    In Germany, we have 5 or 6 big discount chains like Aldi. They all have one thing in common - very little product selection. I buy a lot of specialty products that you never find in the discount chains. That is one reason why I prefer a full retailer.

    And meat products I buy at my butcher, bakery products I buy in the bakery and veggies at the veggie man who goes to the farmer market a 4AM and always has fresh veggies. E.g. white asperagus (which I love) has to be eaten within 36 hours of harvesting. The big chains can never make that turnaround time - but my veggie man can.

    And often we do our shopping in France which is nearby. There I go to the affineur to get my cheese. When I buy e.g. a camembert, he asks whether I want to eat it tonight or tomorrow. That makes a difference. Try that in a supermarket. And my pates or terrines I buy in the charcuterie. There I know it is fresh.

    Wherever possible, I just refuse to buy this factory produced stuff. It is not 100% possible to avoid it, but where possible, I buy good fresh food. That is also why I really suffer during the winter when I am in Florida. There is no way to get good food. No fresh veggies, no fresh cheeses, no bakery in sight, etc. I always gain 10 pounds during the winter because of the different diet.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #69


    Oregon
    Posts : 214
    Windows 8 Pro w/Media Center, Windows RT


    Quote Originally Posted by chrisa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeigs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    I don't know whether I would buy an Acer. But there is always this one for $599 with coupon code S5555555

    Asus VivoBook 15.6" Touch Screen Ultrabook, Black i5-3317U 1.7GHz #S500CA-DS51T S500CA-DS51T
    That is sweet. One wonders why someone would purchase a Surface Pro when you could pick this up. Cost and screen size seem so much better.
    The Hard Drives are weak. Only a 24gig SSD, which i'm not sure you could get Windows 8 on. It also includes a slow 5400RPM clunker.
    Physical Size is huge in comparison, even more so when you go to to tablet mode on the Pro.
    The screen resolution is crap. 1366X768? Seriously?
    Nearly two and a half times the weight.

    I mean, its fine if all you want is a cheapo clunker of a laptop with weak screen res and weak hard drives. But don't pretend its the same quality and specs as the Surface Pro. Its not.
    Sorry, but I don't see in my comment where I "pretend its the same quality and specs as the Surface Pro?"
    Last edited by rmeigs; 24 Mar 2013 at 10:39.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #70


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    I like creature comforts, just not when it comes to buying stuff like groceries, as long as its clean and tidy which Aldi around here always is.
    I really do have 3 stores within 10 to 15 minutes from me, the other two will be about 5 to 7 minutes, I'm in Aldi paradise.
    In Germany, we have 5 or 6 big discount chains like Aldi. They all have one thing in common - very little product selection. I buy a lot of specialty products that you never find in the discount chains. That is one reason why I prefer a full retailer.

    And meat products I buy at my butcher, bakery products I buy in the bakery and veggies at the veggie man who goes to the farmer market a 4AM and always has fresh veggies. E.g. white asperagus (which I love) has to be eaten within 36 hours of harvesting. The big chains can never make that turnaround time - but my veggie man can.

    And often we do our shopping in France which is nearby. There I go to the affineur to get my cheese. When I buy e.g. a camembert, he asks whether I want to eat it tonight or tomorrow. That makes a difference. Try that in a supermarket. And my pates or terrines I buy in the charcuterie. There I know it is fresh.

    Wherever possible, I just refuse to buy this factory produced stuff. It is not 100% possible to avoid it, but where possible, I buy good fresh food. That is also why I really suffer during the winter when I am in Florida. There is no way to get good food. No fresh veggies, no fresh cheeses, no bakery in sight, etc. I always gain 10 pounds during the winter because of the different diet.
    In Australia fresh food is always available, just different veges for the various seasons. I'm not that fussy when it comes to food, as long as its reasonable, but meat yeah that's got to be good, cheese I love but I eat all kinds from Blue vein to Brie and matured cheeses.
    The best meals I've ever had were in Manheim and Bad Bramsted Germany and a couple of places on the West Coast of Scotland.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Windows RT a necessary disruption
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook