Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Where is Windows heading?

  1. #61


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    A cold one for me is a Diet Pepsi. . .diabetic
    That's a bummer.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #62


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    A cold one for me is a Diet Pepsi. . .diabetic
    That's a bummer.
    So, you really can have empathy.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #63


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    I was reading some of the comments made by Mr Robson from Adobe. Now, I have Photo-Shop 6, with the retail PS 7 upgrade. It was legitimately obtained several years ago through, and for, my (then) job as a printer. After reading Mr Robson do an extremely poor job of attempting to justify their pricing, and being very arrogant and dismissive of his customers while doing so, I determined that if/when I feel the need to update, I will not be considering another Adobe product. I'll use Paint-Shop Pro or similar, or go with one of the better free-ware alternatives.

    As for Windows, I've always considered its cost to be excessive, and its licencing requirements are beginning to be quite ridiculous and bizarre. I like Windows 8, and, apart from the flat, bland look, am very happy with it. But although I had no issue ponying-up $70 for the introductory offer, I would never consider paying the $399 full retail price.

    I'll definitely be keeping Windows 8, but if Blue continues down the cloud/subscription path, and continues to treat desktop users as second-class citizens, there's an installation of Mint 14 (Cinnamon) in Virtual-Box and I'm quite liking it. I've dabbled in Linux on and off over the years, but only as a diversion. But now, I'm going into it much more thoroughly, and I'm liking what I'm finding.

    I can see the day coming when things will be reversed, with Mint being the host and Windows in Virtual-Box for the stuff I can't run in 'Wine'. I've no need for or interest in touch on a 'serious' machine, and will state categorically that I will never use the cloud for file or data storage under any circumstances, and will NEVER pay for subscription-based software. Again, I'm quite happy to go open-source or freeware, and indeed have done so many times previously.

    Now, I just KNOW that some of you will disagree, and that's just fine. But, I'd ask you to remember one thing. I am not you. I may compute in a different way, perform different tasks, consume different content, and a different amount of it. My actual tasks and needs may vary from yours, and I may (and do, actually) need more 'horsepower' than a tablet can supply. No two users are the same, and
    they shouldn't be regarded as such, or even expected to be.

    So, if you are happy with your ways, wants, decisions and wishes, please allow me to be happy with mine.




    Wenda.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #64


    Posts : 239
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14


    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    I was reading some of the comments made by Mr Robson from Adobe. Now, I have Photo-Shop 6, with the retail PS 7 upgrade. It was legitimately obtained several years ago through, and for, my (then) job as a printer. After reading Mr Robson do an extremely poor job of attempting to justify their pricing, and being very arrogant and dismissive of his customers while doing so, I determined that if/when I feel the need to update, I will not be considering another Adobe product. I'll use Paint-Shop Pro or similar, or go with one of the better free-ware alternatives.

    As for Windows, I've always considered its cost to be excessive, and its licencing requirements are beginning to be quite ridiculous and bizarre. I like Windows 8, and, apart from the flat, bland look, am very happy with it. But although I had no issue ponying-up $70 for the introductory offer, I would never consider paying the $399 full retail price.

    I'll definitely be keeping Windows 8, but if Blue continues down the cloud/subscription path, and continues to treat desktop users as second-class citizens, there's an installation of Mint 14 (Cinnamon) in Virtual-Box and I'm quite liking it. I've dabbled in Linux on and off over the years, but only as a diversion. But now, I'm going into it much more thoroughly, and I'm liking what I'm finding.

    I can see the day coming when things will be reversed, with Mint being the host and Windows in Virtual-Box for the stuff I can't run in 'Wine'. I've no need for or interest in touch on a 'serious' machine, and will state categorically that I will never use the cloud for file or data storage under any circumstances, and will NEVER pay for subscription-based software. Again, I'm quite happy to go open-source or freeware, and indeed have done so many times previously.

    Now, I just KNOW that some of you will disagree, and that's just fine. But, I'd ask you to remember one thing. I am not you. I may compute in a different way, perform different tasks, consume different content, and a different amount of it. My actual tasks and needs may vary from yours, and I may (and do, actually) need more 'horsepower' than a tablet can supply. No two users are the same, and
    they shouldn't be regarded as such, or even expected to be.

    So, if you are happy with your ways, wants, decisions and wishes, please allow me to be happy with mine.




    Wenda.
    - very well explained. All users needs/wants are different but this is often forgotten both by companies and individuals.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #65


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    I was reading some of the comments made by Mr Robson from Adobe. Now, I have Photo-Shop 6, with the retail PS 7 upgrade. It was legitimately obtained several years ago through, and for, my (then) job as a printer. After reading Mr Robson do an extremely poor job of attempting to justify their pricing, and being very arrogant and dismissive of his customers while doing so, I determined that if/when I feel the need to update, I will not be considering another Adobe product. I'll use Paint-Shop Pro or similar, or go with one of the better free-ware alternatives.

    As for Windows, I've always considered its cost to be excessive, and its licencing requirements are beginning to be quite ridiculous and bizarre. I like Windows 8, and, apart from the flat, bland look, am very happy with it. But although I had no issue ponying-up $70 for the introductory offer, I would never consider paying the $399 full retail price.

    I'll definitely be keeping Windows 8, but if Blue continues down the cloud/subscription path, and continues to treat desktop users as second-class citizens, there's an installation of Mint 14 (Cinnamon) in Virtual-Box and I'm quite liking it. I've dabbled in Linux on and off over the years, but only as a diversion. But now, I'm going into it much more thoroughly, and I'm liking what I'm finding.

    I can see the day coming when things will be reversed, with Mint being the host and Windows in Virtual-Box for the stuff I can't run in 'Wine'. I've no need for or interest in touch on a 'serious' machine, and will state categorically that I will never use the cloud for file or data storage under any circumstances, and will NEVER pay for subscription-based software. Again, I'm quite happy to go open-source or freeware, and indeed have done so many times previously.

    Now, I just KNOW that some of you will disagree, and that's just fine. But, I'd ask you to remember one thing. I am not you. I may compute in a different way, perform different tasks, consume different content, and a different amount of it. My actual tasks and needs may vary from yours, and I may (and do, actually) need more 'horsepower' than a tablet can supply. No two users are the same, and
    they shouldn't be regarded as such, or even expected to be.

    So, if you are happy with your ways, wants, decisions and wishes, please allow me to be happy with mine.




    Wenda.
    You or anyone on this forum has the right to do whatever they like, I do what I like, I've got iPads and Android tablet Android phone. I've even got 3 versions of Linux on a computer.

    Its exactly because I've got all this different stuff that I know Microsoft is heading in the right direction, one OS for everything and everything synced through the cloud.

    I've got Apps on my phone, Apps on my tablets, Apps on my PCs and they're all different with the exception of a few. I just want a simple life and I believe Microsoft can give me that eventually.

    If you've got just one PC or even two and they're not connected, it doesn't matter what you use, as long as they run your apps. When you've got all the stuff I've got you really need everything the same.

    I'm not saying I wouldn't play around with other OSs, but I want all my tablets and PCs etc to talk the same language.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #66


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    What a coincidence Wenda.
    I'm currently trying Mint in a VM and already quit PS.

    I'm using GIMP to replace PS, it's free, does some pretty neat stuff.

    I'm also curious where Blue is heading and the same: no fan of cloud and subscriptions here either.


    Cheers
    Hopachi
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #67


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    What a coincidence Wenda.
    I'm currently trying Mint in a VM and already quit PS.

    I'm using GIMP to replace PS, it's free, does some pretty neat stuff.

    I'm also curious where Blue is heading and the same: no fan of cloud and subscriptions here either.


    Cheers
    Hopachi
    I'm no fan of the cloud either, I thought I'd be the last one on the planet to use it, I've got two NAS to try to avoid it. Then I subscribed to Office 365 and saw the simplicity of Skydrive and I was hooked. I'd dabbled with other cloud options and didnt think much of them but now I'm in.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #68


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    What a coincidence Wenda.
    I'm currently trying Mint in a VM and already quit PS.

    I'm using GIMP to replace PS, it's free, does some pretty neat stuff.

    I'm also curious where Blue is heading and the same: no fan of cloud and subscriptions here either.


    Cheers
    Hopachi
    I'm no fan of the cloud either, I thought I'd be the last one on the planet to use it, I've got two NAS to try to avoid it. Then I subscribed to Office 365 and saw the simplicity of Skydrive and I was hooked. I'd dabbled with other cloud options and didnt think much of them but now I'm in.
    You're right about the simplicity, I got Skydrive myself.
    But I'm partially hooked and I don't use Office 365 at all.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #69


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    What a coincidence Wenda.
    I'm currently trying Mint in a VM and already quit PS.

    I'm using GIMP to replace PS, it's free, does some pretty neat stuff.

    I'm also curious where Blue is heading and the same: no fan of cloud and subscriptions here either.


    Cheers
    Hopachi
    I'm no fan of the cloud either, I thought I'd be the last one on the planet to use it, I've got two NAS to try to avoid it. Then I subscribed to Office 365 and saw the simplicity of Skydrive and I was hooked. I'd dabbled with other cloud options and didnt think much of them but now I'm in.
    You're right about the simplicity, I got Skydrive myself.
    But I'm partially hooked and I don't use Office 365 at all.
    It's always easy to say you're never going to do something until you find something pretty great and then bam you're hooked. I must admit I never thought I'd be hooked on anything to do with the cloud but I really wanted One Note, once I started to use that with Skydrive I was amazed at how simple my life was becoming, this is what I want on all my tablets and PCs simplicity.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #70


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    That's all good, Bill, I wasn't knocking your choices, or anyone else's, just putting mine forward.

    As for the cloud, I don't mind it for email etc, but I don't feel at all comfortable storing stuff there.

    Companies go broke or start data-mining, terrorists attack, equipment fails, hackers breach
    security, and of course, last but by no means least, there's always our oh-so-trustworthy (NOT!)
    governments and not-always-ethical 'law enforcement' agencies. I also have a very limited internet
    access plan, which precludes streaming, and isn't always useable (I don't regard 64kb/sec as
    'useable', sadly my ISP does).

    I've nothing to hide, but equally I've nothing I want to share without my explicit authorisation. That
    can only be made easier if I retain both physical and digital possession of the data/files.

    But, to each his/her own. Cheers!

    Wenda.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Where is Windows heading?
Related Threads
When i go into Network on Windows 8 laptop, under the heading Computer i see my computer, under the Network Infrastructure header i see my my router, but sometimes under Phones i see odd phone names such as C1395 (Sony Experia) and today Paggioo (Prestigio). I can delete them but they keep coming...
more at source..
10-inch tablets heading for extinction according to Intel exec - Tablets - News - HEXUS.net
Here is my personal view of why Microsoft made Windows 8 the way it is, and where they might be heading. I'm expecting I've got one or two details wrong, but bear with me. Mods, apologies if this is in the wrong section; feel free to move it to the "Windows 8-related Rants and Essays" section...
Where is Microsoft Heading with Windows 8? | WindowsTalk.org
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook