Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Windows 9

  1. #21


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    I don't see this upgrade pattern to be a new thing for Windows or being like apple, maybe like apple though but a touch.

    See, if it weren't for vista crapping things up with Windows, this would had already be the norm, except there wouldn't be a .5 style update like with Blue. The pattern that emerged back in the late '90s early 2000s was 98 being released, then 2000 in the year 2000. xp came after 2001 by one year. Then vista was slated for October 2003, two years after xp. xp was intended as a stopgap measure to update 2000's UI to the Luna interface and improve digital media management among other things. vista was supposed to include the Libraries feature of 7 and a TON of media features, but that fell off a cliff for many years and later ended up with a glassy Windows xp with bloated, incomplete code that required pretty much installing Windows 7 to fix.

    Basically, we're behind a few versions here. But instead of releasing a GENUINELY new version of Windows every year and then a complete new one every two, Microsoft seems to be going the correct route of doing a Windows 8.5 style update to improve a few UI things and features, THEN have 9 be released to be a new version. Maybe NT Kernel 7 built on MinWin technology?!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Posts : 302
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I don't see this upgrade pattern to be a new thing for Windows or being like apple, maybe like apple though but a touch.

    See, if it weren't for vista crapping things up with Windows, this would had already be the norm, except there wouldn't be a .5 style update like with Blue. The pattern that emerged back in the late '90s early 2000s was 98 being released, then 2000 in the year 2000. xp came after 2001 by one year. Then vista was slated for October 2003, two years after xp. xp was intended as a stopgap measure to update 2000's UI to the Luna interface and improve digital media management among other things. vista was supposed to include the Libraries feature of 7 and a TON of media features, but that fell off a cliff for many years and later ended up with a glassy Windows xp with bloated, incomplete code that required pretty much installing Windows 7 to fix.

    Basically, we're behind a few versions here. But instead of releasing a GENUINELY new version of Windows every year and then a complete new one every two, Microsoft seems to be going the correct route of doing a Windows 8.5 style update to improve a few UI things and features, THEN have 9 be released to be a new version. Maybe NT Kernel 7 built on MinWin technology?!
    What you're trying to get across is when it comes to Windows you basically have the 'new' version which deviates from the expected norms with new stuff and then the 'fixed' version which takes anything that didn't work with the 'new'.. pitches it.. fixes anything if needbe.. and keeps all the other new stuff that people liked, but didn't know they liked until they were able to wait a requisite amount of time such that they could like it. That then 'stabilizes' the OS and the majority upgrades.

    Oh.. and we always have hobos that jump off the train and simply pitch a tent in the middle of an OS and squat there until hell freezes over. You have your 'i'll never leave XP!' and your 'i'll never leave Windows 7!' folks.

    Just the way it goes :>. Hey.. at least we have a formula to it. We're just in the middle of the 'new' op sys.

    Btw... I'd rather they call it Windows 8.1 for old times sake :>
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by chrisa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I don't see this upgrade pattern to be a new thing for Windows or being like apple, maybe like apple though but a touch.

    See, if it weren't for vista crapping things up with Windows, this would had already be the norm, except there wouldn't be a .5 style update like with Blue. The pattern that emerged back in the late '90s early 2000s was 98 being released, then 2000 in the year 2000. xp came after 2001 by one year. Then vista was slated for October 2003, two years after xp. xp was intended as a stopgap measure to update 2000's UI to the Luna interface and improve digital media management among other things. vista was supposed to include the Libraries feature of 7 and a TON of media features, but that fell off a cliff for many years and later ended up with a glassy Windows xp with bloated, incomplete code that required pretty much installing Windows 7 to fix.

    Basically, we're behind a few versions here. But instead of releasing a GENUINELY new version of Windows every year and then a complete new one every two, Microsoft seems to be going the correct route of doing a Windows 8.5 style update to improve a few UI things and features, THEN have 9 be released to be a new version. Maybe NT Kernel 7 built on MinWin technology?!
    What you're trying to get across is when it comes to Windows you basically have the 'new' version which deviates from the expected norms with new stuff and then the 'fixed' version which takes anything that didn't work with the 'new'.. pitches it.. fixes anything if needbe.. and keeps all the other new stuff that people liked, but didn't know they liked until they were able to wait a requisite amount of time such that they could like it. That then 'stabilizes' the OS and the majority upgrades.

    Oh.. and we always have hobos that jump off the train and simply pitch a tent in the middle of an OS and squat there until hell freezes over. You have your 'i'll never leave XP!' and your 'i'll never leave Windows 7!' folks.

    Just the way it goes :>. Hey.. at least we have a formula to it. We're just in the middle of the 'new' op sys.

    Btw... I'd rather they call it Windows 8.1 for old times sake :>
    Yeah, that's kind of what I'm getting across. Windows 98 did the same thing almost actually with 98 Second Edition, or more like a Service Pack on steroids. The Blue wave sounds like it might be based off Windows Phone how with 7, it came out almost all the way done, but not feature complete. It was ok, but then a year later, 7.5 was released that added a claimed 500 new features and changes to the platform; all free to the user. Then there's 7.8, but that's a different story.

    Uuuuggghhh, those people that claim stake to their OS's like it's their lifeblood.... But 8.1 would be interesting, for old time's sake, if this were old times which it is not.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 302
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Posts : 740
    Windows 8.1


    I'm interested in the performance optimizations. Will they work on my system, or is it mostly for Windows RT?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    I would assume it would be for both RT and x86. Why wouldn't it be?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Posts : 738
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional


    Here's a piece of one blog where the author caught someone mentioning Win 9 and IE 11 in their MS resume'? Microsoft mention Windows 9 in a job ad for a Bing Software Development Engineer

    This one is interesting. Here’s what it says:

    We utilize cutting edge technologies across the stack from Bing metro application development using WinJS and HTML5, innovative features in IE10 such as flip ahead and much more! The team will be constantly delivering great products in areas including Windows 9, IE11 services integration, touch friendly devices including iPad and more. Our talented, customer-focused, team delivers these features through rapid cycles of experimentation and customer feedback to bring the best ideas to market.
    You can read it here.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Wynnum Australia
    Posts : 466
    Windows-10-Pro-Build-11099.rs1-x64


    M$ will maybe kill off the Desktop completely:

    Click

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 740
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I would assume it would be for both RT and x86. Why wouldn't it be?
    Al lot of what Microsoft can do is remove legacy code and port more of the OS to the Modern UI environment. Which only really works on RT devices.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by FuturDreamz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I would assume it would be for both RT and x86. Why wouldn't it be?
    Al lot of what Microsoft can do is remove legacy code and port more of the OS to the Modern UI environment. Which only really works on RT devices.
    That also works on x86 devices.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Windows 9
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook