Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Four months in, Windows 8 needs help

  1. #81


    Posts : 239
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14


    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post

    Or indeed anything about Win 8, or the direction MS is heading.

    You must love everything about Win 8, otherwise you are a hater, or
    stupid, by the reckoning of some.

    I'm neither, but there are aspects I dislike. But that's been the case with just
    about every OS I've ever used, and that's a lot of OSes. It didn't make me stupid, or
    'unable to adapt' then, and it hasn't now.

    If it was a case of being 'unable to learn', 'old-fashioned', 'stuck in the past', or
    'unwilling to adapt', then why have I been using 8 as my main OS for over a year
    now, why did I pay for a copy if I 'hated' it or 'couldn't learn it', and why did I bother
    to find out how to customise and bend it to my will?

    For that matter, why would I have even bothered to beta-test Vista, 7 and 8? Or
    to learn to use Linux? Or....well, anything, really.

    Oh, that's right, I installed a start-menu replacement and don't want touch on my
    desktop/laptop, so I must be stupid and have wasted thirty years of my life playing
    with something I 'don't understand'. Yeah, right!

    IMO, it's wearing rather thin.

    Wenda.
    Don't know why you're even bothering to justify things. All it's doing is feeding those couple of individuals around here that have started posting derogatory comments about others. If you like W8 that's fine, if you like W8 with a start menu replacement that's also fine, if you prefer W7 well there's nothing wrong with that.

    How you operate with your PC/laptop/or what have you is entirely your prerogative.

    Once folks move matters onto a personal level then others simply turn off. Agree though about '....it's wearing rather thin....'

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #82


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Quote Originally Posted by mart4494 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post

    Or indeed anything about Win 8, or the direction MS is heading.

    You must love everything about Win 8, otherwise you are a hater, or
    stupid, by the reckoning of some.

    I'm neither, but there are aspects I dislike. But that's been the case with just
    about every OS I've ever used, and that's a lot of OSes. It didn't make me stupid, or
    'unable to adapt' then, and it hasn't now.

    If it was a case of being 'unable to learn', 'old-fashioned', 'stuck in the past', or
    'unwilling to adapt', then why have I been using 8 as my main OS for over a year
    now, why did I pay for a copy if I 'hated' it or 'couldn't learn it', and why did I bother
    to find out how to customise and bend it to my will?

    For that matter, why would I have even bothered to beta-test Vista, 7 and 8? Or
    to learn to use Linux? Or....well, anything, really.

    Oh, that's right, I installed a start-menu replacement and don't want touch on my
    desktop/laptop, so I must be stupid and have wasted thirty years of my life playing
    with something I 'don't understand'. Yeah, right!

    IMO, it's wearing rather thin.

    Wenda.
    Don't know why you're even bothering to justify things. All it's doing is feeding those couple of individuals around here that have started posting derogatory comments about others. If you like W8 that's fine, if you like W8 with a start menu replacement that's also fine, if you prefer W7 well there's nothing wrong with that.

    How you operate with your PC/laptop/or what have you is entirely your prerogative.

    Once folks move matters onto a personal level then others simply turn off. Agree though about '....it's wearing rather thin....'
    mart, you made the right analysis. Some people produce a lot of smoke with no data to back it up. And if you provide data, they ridicule it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #83


    Bay Area
    Posts : 21,841
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64


    Quote Originally Posted by mart4494 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post

    Or indeed anything about Win 8, or the direction MS is heading.

    You must love everything about Win 8, otherwise you are a hater, or
    stupid, by the reckoning of some.

    I'm neither, but there are aspects I dislike. But that's been the case with just
    about every OS I've ever used, and that's a lot of OSes. It didn't make me stupid, or
    'unable to adapt' then, and it hasn't now.

    If it was a case of being 'unable to learn', 'old-fashioned', 'stuck in the past', or
    'unwilling to adapt', then why have I been using 8 as my main OS for over a year
    now, why did I pay for a copy if I 'hated' it or 'couldn't learn it', and why did I bother
    to find out how to customise and bend it to my will?

    For that matter, why would I have even bothered to beta-test Vista, 7 and 8? Or
    to learn to use Linux? Or....well, anything, really.

    Oh, that's right, I installed a start-menu replacement and don't want touch on my
    desktop/laptop, so I must be stupid and have wasted thirty years of my life playing
    with something I 'don't understand'. Yeah, right!

    IMO, it's wearing rather thin.

    Wenda.
    Don't know why you're even bothering to justify things. All it's doing is feeding those couple of individuals around here that have started posting derogatory comments about others. If you like W8 that's fine, if you like W8 with a start menu replacement that's also fine, if you prefer W7 well there's nothing wrong with that.

    How you operate with your PC/laptop/or what have you is entirely your prerogative.

    Once folks move matters onto a personal level then others simply turn off. Agree though about '....it's wearing rather thin....'
    Here, here

    A Guy
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #84


    Posts : 239
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    mart, you made the right analysis. Some people produce a lot of smoke with no data to back it up. And if you provide data, they ridicule it.
    Well all the thread starter (A Guy) posted was an external news source. How it then developed into finger pointing is beyond me!!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #85


    Bay Area
    Posts : 21,841
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64


    It isn't the 1st one either. A few of the news stories I posted took on a life of their own, then degenerated into name calling. It's quite unique to Eight Forums. A Guy
    Last edited by A Guy; 17 Mar 2013 at 12:05.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #86


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Quote Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
    It isn't the 1st one either. A few of the news stories I posted took on a life of their own, then denigrated into name calling. It's quite unique to Eight Forums. A Guy
    Bill, you are certainly right. That's one of the reasons why I am always hesitent to post here. I think John, in his inimitable ways, should clean the place up.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #87


    Posts : 239
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
    It isn't the 1st one either. A few of the news stories I posted took on a life of their own, then denigrated into name calling. It's quite unique to Eight Forums. A Guy
    Bill, you are certainly right. That's one of the reasons why I am always hesitent to post here. I think John, in his inimitable ways, should clean the place up.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #88


    Quote Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
    It isn't the 1st one either. A few of the news stories I posted took on a life of their own, then degenerated into name calling. It's quite unique to Eight Forums. A Guy
    It is actually quite unique to this forum and at the same time quite sad. I frequent a few Apple forums and their fanbois are like Mary Poppins compared to a few around here.

    -jeff
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #89


    Quote Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mart4494 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post

    Or indeed anything about Win 8, or the direction MS is heading.

    You must love everything about Win 8, otherwise you are a hater, or
    stupid, by the reckoning of some.

    I'm neither, but there are aspects I dislike. But that's been the case with just
    about every OS I've ever used, and that's a lot of OSes. It didn't make me stupid, or
    'unable to adapt' then, and it hasn't now.

    If it was a case of being 'unable to learn', 'old-fashioned', 'stuck in the past', or
    'unwilling to adapt', then why have I been using 8 as my main OS for over a year
    now, why did I pay for a copy if I 'hated' it or 'couldn't learn it', and why did I bother
    to find out how to customise and bend it to my will?

    For that matter, why would I have even bothered to beta-test Vista, 7 and 8? Or
    to learn to use Linux? Or....well, anything, really.

    Oh, that's right, I installed a start-menu replacement and don't want touch on my
    desktop/laptop, so I must be stupid and have wasted thirty years of my life playing
    with something I 'don't understand'. Yeah, right!

    IMO, it's wearing rather thin.

    Wenda.
    Don't know why you're even bothering to justify things. All it's doing is feeding those couple of individuals around here that have started posting derogatory comments about others. If you like W8 that's fine, if you like W8 with a start menu replacement that's also fine, if you prefer W7 well there's nothing wrong with that.

    How you operate with your PC/laptop/or what have you is entirely your prerogative.

    Once folks move matters onto a personal level then others simply turn off. Agree though about '....it's wearing rather thin....'
    Here, here

    A Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by mart4494 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    mart, you made the right analysis. Some people produce a lot of smoke with no data to back it up. And if you provide data, they ridicule it.
    Well all the thread starter (A Guy) posted was an external news source. How it then developed into finger pointing is beyond me!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
    It isn't the 1st one either. A few of the news stories I posted took on a life of their own, then degenerated into name calling. It's quite unique to Eight Forums. A Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
    It isn't the 1st one either. A few of the news stories I posted took on a life of their own, then denigrated into name calling. It's quite unique to Eight Forums. A Guy
    Bill, you are certainly right. That's one of the reasons why I am always hesitent to post here. I think John, in his inimitable ways, should clean the place up.
    Quote Originally Posted by mart4494 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
    It isn't the 1st one either. A few of the news stories I posted took on a life of their own, then denigrated into name calling. It's quite unique to Eight Forums. A Guy
    Bill, you are certainly right. That's one of the reasons why I am always hesitent to post here. I think John, in his inimitable ways, should clean the place up.
    I'm not a tech but troll several forums for better understanding of computers and repairing issues for family, friends and myself.
    I like this group. Except there are a few individuals who try to take over every thread, spreading their hatred for eight and squeal about MS' failures being their downfall...

    I wasn't even going to get Windows 8 because of what I've been reading about it. It was forced on me by my brother sent me the computer with 8 already installed. After a little bit of Googling and finding the basics of 8, I was hooked and fell in love.
    I'll admit to being an Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #90


    Quote Originally Posted by pcRat View Post
    I'll admit to being an Click image for larger version
    LOL! Very cleaver PC! Consider me in the club.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Four months in, Windows 8 needs help
Related Threads
Hello Guys, Just thought I'd let you know that after my unsuccessful Window 8.1 update on the first day of release I have tried it again this week and this time it has gone really smoothly and I'm very impressed with it. When I originally installed it it made my computer really slow and...
Windows 8 Activation fails after 8 months in Windows Updates & Activation
I had Windows 8 Professional edition from ASDF India (Association of Software Developers & Faculties). They had provided a KMS Activated version, which after installation, activated Windows 8 automatically. Also to mention that it is a genuine copy, as I had a special password which was provided by...
windows needs activating after approx 6 months in Windows Updates & Activation
i have been using windows 8 pro x64 with media center since around the time it was released and i took advantage of the upgrade offer, and up until about a week ago everything was running smoothly as expected. now in the past few days it says it needs activating and when i try to activate i get an...
Microsoft: We?re 18 Months Behind with the Windows 8.1 Ecosystem
Windows 8 six months in: Thoughts from a power(less) user | Crave - CNET
I have had Windows 8 for 4 months now and have it on 2 laptops and 1 PC. The thing is I am not complaining about the way it looks and feels it's the problems I get from just using the damn thing. I have had to do several system restores and about 8 re-installs. All because of faults that just keep...
So what will happen with my: Windows 8 Release Preview Evaluation Copy. Build 8400 Is there a way to turn it from a preview into Windows 8 Pro? Can I install over it? (and keep everything the way it is: programs, settings, etc.) Can I continue to use it as a preview or will my computer...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook