Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


New Windows Boss Confirms

  1. #51


    Posts : 272
    windows 7


    Whats a start menu?


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #52


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Many users of Windows 8 still don't get that the beauty of the start screen is multi layered access to installed and system programs by pressing any alphanumeric key when looking at the start screen.

    It is not necessary to litter the start screen with 70 to 100 tiles. All one need do is press a key and most any related installed or system programs are displayed. In addition, shortcuts for non installed programs and web sites can be added from within folders that are added to the program data start menu system folder.

    That aside, there are now dozens of traditional start menus available and many completely defang the metro.
    I find it easier to press a key and execute a listed program than navigate a nested menu.

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #53


    You have a Surface Pro and you left the keyboard at home now what. We are suppose to have a GUI not command line.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #54


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    You have a Surface Pro and you left the keyboard at home now what. We are suppose to have a GUI not command line.
    Hello. I don't have a tablet but I think they have an integrated onscreen touch keyboard. I think it would be fairly useless without some form of a keyboard.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #55


    My point is you should not need a keyboard to fine a program it should be organized to be easy to find without a search.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #56


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    You have a Surface Pro and you left the keyboard at home now what. We are suppose to have a GUI not command line.
    If you were referring to using a keyboard at the start screen and suggesting it is like entering text at a command prompt, pressing 1 or a few keys, the movement arrow, and pressing enter is a rather simple process.

    One can prefer a start menu, that is ok, I simply find the 8 approach a refreshing improvement on tradition.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #57


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    My point is you should not need a keyboard to find a program it should be organized to be easy to find without a search.
    I see, I know... You will need either a mouse or keyboard to navigate a start menu in any event.

    That said, I don't see pressing a hot key to be akin to searching. Accessing listed programs is the same as clicking an icon or rolling thru layers of cascading.

    If you follow a mouse movement up from the orb to a nest, then go inside another nest to seek the executable, that is a search as well.

    If you have 40 icons on your desktop, one has to search the desktop (with a mouse or keyboard) to find and execute the right icon.

    If you have something pinned to the start menu or task bar, you still have to move your eyes and mouse or keyboard to find and execute the link.
    Last edited by mdmd; 08 Mar 2013 at 22:25.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #58


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    You have a Surface Pro and you left the keyboard at home now what. We are suppose to have a GUI not command line.
    You go to a store and buy a keyboard and mouse, a 27" Monitor with a cable to attach to the Surface, set it up on the footpath, type in 3rd party Start Menu, install it, use your mouse to open the Start Menu spend 5 minutes going through the cascades and click on what you're looking for.

    Go to a store buy a suitcase so you can carry all the stuff back home again, easy.

    Or you can just use the onscreen keyboard, whatever floats your boat.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #59


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by burtie View Post
    Whats a start menu?

    Yeah what is a Start Menu, you're computer is already started.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #60


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Many users of Windows 8 still don't get that the beauty of the start screen is multi layered access to installed and system programs by pressing any alphanumeric key when looking at the start screen.

    It is not necessary to litter the start screen with 70 to 100 tiles. All one need do is press a key and most any related installed or system programs are displayed. In addition, shortcuts for non installed programs and web sites can be added from within folders that are added to the program data start menu system folder.

    That aside, there are now dozens of traditional start menus available and many completely defang the metro.
    I find it easier to press a key and execute a listed program than navigate a nested menu.

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version
    I agree with you 110%.
    With the old start menu if there too many items on the start menu we had to hover the mouse at the top and bottom while the system scrolled up and down.
    With this new start menu we pin our most used programs to the start screen. Just like Vista or 7, we can type a letter and the appropriate tiles will be brought to our attention.
    This in my opinion is the best taskbar shortcut. I never have to rightclick the desktop & All apps or type a letter to view all programs "Search Apps" Shortcut - Create in Windows 8

    Seems noone remembers XP being the equivalent of 8 today. Until people started using 3rd party apps to customize it like Tweak UI etc.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
New Windows Boss Confirms
Related Threads
Microsoft confirms DirectX 11.2 is a Windows 8.1, Xbox One exclusive Source A Guy
Samsung confirms no Windows RT tablets for US markets, blames tepid retail demand and: Samsung Loses Interest in Windows RT Tablets, What About You? | Maximum PC
Read more at source: Microsoft confirms October 25 launch for Windows 8 | ZDNet
Solved Happy Birthday Boss. in Chillout Room
Happy Birthday John.:grin::party::party::party::party: http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z454/killkee/happy_birthday-1700.gif
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook