Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Five reasons why Windows 8 has failed

  1. #41


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    @Cokie

    Highly doubt as they already have a TV box and that isn't really popular as it is..
    .

    Look at my post again - this time you might try actually reading it.

    It might be rather more wide ranging than at first meets the eye
    I don't know for sure Timmy is going to be able to fully implement what Jobsy was thinking - we shall find out in time.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #42


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Microsoft Research is making a whiteboard that finishes sketches - Neowin

    You can't do this with the traditional input method...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #43


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Microsoft Research is making a whiteboard that finishes sketches - Neowin

    You can't do this with the traditional input method...
    What prevents one from doing that with a mouse or Wacom tablet and pen? Programs already do that by recognising what you have written/drawn and correcting the rough hand drawn text/image. In fact, a Wacom tablet and pen is much more adept at providing such a facility, as you are working in a natural environment, like drawing on paper. Additionally, you can have a large screen (projection or otherwise) and be sitting at a table well away from the screen and do such drawing. That's far better than standing in front of the screen and blocking the view from others.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #44


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    @Cokie,

    Hmmm... the housing sector is doing poorly compared to 2007 when it was at its peak, so therefore the housing market has collapsed entirely and can't be saved.

    In the UK a house is an investment. Like many other investments, values can fluctuate, as can the cost of finanacing it.

    Win 8 is a consumer product. To be sold once and used for a short period of time.

    Is there a point to your post?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #45


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Microsoft Research is making a whiteboard that finishes sketches - Neowin

    You can't do this with the traditional input method...
    What prevents one from doing that with a mouse or Wacom tablet and pen? Programs already do that by recognising what you have written/drawn and correcting the rough hand drawn text/image. In fact, a Wacom tablet and pen is much more adept at providing such a facility, as you are working in a natural environment, like drawing on paper. Additionally, you can have a large screen (projection or otherwise) and be sitting at a table well away from the screen and do such drawing. That's far better than standing in front of the screen and blocking the view from others.
    What prevents that is the software. If Windows had stayed with a mouse in Windows 8, that inspiration wouldn't had led to that idea of an intelligent sketch software. You can probably do that on a Surface Pro, but again, you wouldn't be able to do that with a mouse based desktop PC.

    You could use a mouse, but no avid/professional digital artist will really use a mouse over a Wacom touch display or a Wacom pen tablet. It's NATURAL. Key word there. A mouse is not. Have you ever tried to snip out a precise piece from an image before with a mouse? It's an experience only described with S&M.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #46


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    @Cokie,

    Hmmm... the housing sector is doing poorly compared to 2007 when it was at its peak, so therefore the housing market has collapsed entirely and can't be saved.

    In the UK a house is an investment. Like many other investments, values can fluctuate, as can the cost of finanacing it.

    Win 8 is a consumer product. To be sold once and used for a short period of time.

    Is there a point to your post?
    You interpret things strangely.

    The comparison here is that two different times in the housing market are two different things that can't be really compared to each other to extrapolate information from. In 2007, housing was at its peak. Nowadays, it's barely picking back up. If you were to compare now to 2007 in the housing sector, you wouldn't say that right now, the market is awful and can't ever be back to 2007 levels because no one is buying houses right now and that's that. People had more money, or at least more available credit and questionable lending methods, than they do today. That is the parallel with the PC market and Windows 8. People bought a lot of PCs in 2007 to 2009, and they're not right now like they did before. Why? Probably because they had more money, or at least more available credit, than they do today. A PC is also an investment for some, 500-1,000 dollars isn't a three year ordeal, it's at least a five year durable good. Just because Windows 8 is on the new PCs that aren't selling like they did in 2007 with vista (worst OS in many years) doesn't mean it's because of the software.

    THERE ARE MANY FACTORS HERE. One factor doesn't stand out.

    By the way, that's the kind of thinking that lead to EVERY single dieting fad of the last decade. No calories, then no sugars, then no carbs, then no gluten. One factor doesn't make someone loss weight and be healthy. It's a variety of interdependent factors.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #47


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    What prevents that is the software. If Windows had stayed with a mouse in Windows 8, that inspiration wouldn't had led to that idea of an intelligent sketch software. You can probably do that on a Surface Pro, but again, you wouldn't be able to do that with a mouse based desktop PC.

    You could use a mouse, but no avid/professional digital artist will really use a mouse over a Wacom touch display or a Wacom pen tablet. It's NATURAL. Key word there. A mouse is not. Have you ever tried to snip out a precise piece from an image before with a mouse? It's an experience only described with S&M.
    The software is already here and has been in development for years (automatic correction of hand drawn diagrams - since the 90s). Where do you think text recognition comes from? One of the reasons that the Wacom tablet (ostensibly a touch screen) has grown so much and become so popular with graphics artist etc is because it's as natural and as accurate as drawing with a pen (not finger painting).

    Nor did I say that one would use a mouse for very fine outlining etc, but if a fat finger is sufficient to outline something, then a mouse is going to be a lot better at the same task. BTW I have used a mouse to outline and separate objects from an image, that's why Photoshop (including third party plug-ins like Mask Pro) and other programs have smart software, so that you don't have to be precise with the outlining. But you knew this anyway, didn't you?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #48


    Portland, Oregon, USA
    Posts : 182
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64, Windows Server 2012 R2 x64


    I didn't have time to read all the posts that came after mine, but I did skim thru them. I recently was at Best Buy because sooner or later I'm going to be in the market for a gaming laptop to replace the one I currently have, as well as an UltraBook. Quite a few of the laptops they had on display were touch-enabled. I tried them out and really enjoyed it. For the most part it was accurate and responsive, despite my big fingers. I really am looking forward to the day when all PCs and software fully support this. I was also reading recently on a technology being developed that can convert almost any standard non-touch monitor into a touch-enabled monitor. Not sure where I read it, but I was referred to the article by a friend.

    But in the longer term, I hope to live to see the day when we can fully control any aspect of a PC by speaking, or even by thought. And one day, very far off in the future but maybe within a century, there may be PCs that utilize quantum physics technology. I've done enough reading and I'm slowly coming to believe that it will be possible sooner rather than later. With today's medicine advancing the way it is and extending the average human lifespan potentially by decades, it is quite likely. I've never been much interested in sci-fi but I do have alot of interest in this kind of thing.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #49


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I didn't have time to read all the posts that came after mine, but I did skim thru them. I recently was at Best Buy because sooner or later I'm going to be in the market for a gaming laptop to replace the one I currently have, as well as an UltraBook. Quite a few of the laptops they had on display were touch-enabled. I tried them out and really enjoyed it. For the most part it was accurate and responsive, despite my big fingers. I really am looking forward to the day when all PCs and software fully support this. I was also reading recently on a technology being developed that can convert almost any standard non-touch monitor into a touch-enabled monitor. Not sure where I read it, but I was referred to the article by a friend.

    But in the longer term, I hope to live to see the day when we can fully control any aspect of a PC by speaking, or even by thought. And one day, very far off in the future but maybe within a century, there may be PCs that utilize quantum physics technology. I've done enough reading and I'm slowly coming to believe that it will be possible sooner rather than later. With today's medicine advancing the way it is and extending the average human lifespan potentially by decades, it is quite likely. I've never been much interested in sci-fi but I do have alot of interest in this kind of thing.
    Yeah according to some on this site you're not supposed to enjoy touch on a laptop or desktop, you could end up with Gorilla Arm. It is an exciting time in the history of computing, it's too bad there are people that are not like us and just want to be chained to their desktop by a keyboard and mouse.
    Anything Microsoft does to embrace the future is just a slap in the face to some people, and yet these very same people claim to be dedicated Microsoft users.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #50


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Are you back on that old excuse that win 8 is not selling because people don't want to spend?

    Is that it?

    Apple didn't have any trouble selling a lot of products in xmas season.


    It wouldn't make any difference if 8 had only sold 12 copies. To you it would be the greates success of all time.




    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    @Cokie,

    Hmmm... the housing sector is doing poorly compared to 2007 when it was at its peak, so therefore the housing market has collapsed entirely and can't be saved.

    In the UK a house is an investment. Like many other investments, values can fluctuate, as can the cost of finanacing it.

    Win 8 is a consumer product. To be sold once and used for a short period of time.

    Is there a point to your post?
    You interpret things strangely.

    The comparison here is that two different times in the housing market are two different things that can't be really compared to each other to extrapolate information from. In 2007, housing was at its peak. Nowadays, it's barely picking back up. If you were to compare now to 2007 in the housing sector, you wouldn't say that right now, the market is awful and can't ever be back to 2007 levels because no one is buying houses right now and that's that. People had more money, or at least more available credit and questionable lending methods, than they do today. That is the parallel with the PC market and Windows 8. People bought a lot of PCs in 2007 to 2009, and they're not right now like they did before. Why? Probably because they had more money, or at least more available credit, than they do today. A PC is also an investment for some, 500-1,000 dollars isn't a three year ordeal, it's at least a five year durable good. Just because Windows 8 is on the new PCs that aren't selling like they did in 2007 with vista (worst OS in many years) doesn't mean it's because of the software.

    THERE ARE MANY FACTORS HERE. One factor doesn't stand out.

    By the way, that's the kind of thinking that lead to EVERY single dieting fad of the last decade. No calories, then no sugars, then no carbs, then no gluten. One factor doesn't make someone loss weight and be healthy. It's a variety of interdependent factors.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Five reasons why Windows 8 has failed
Related Threads
At present i am using windows 7.really nice os. Now someone told me that windows 8.1 is much faster than 7.So should I buy windows 8?and is there any way to get start menu like in Windows 7.
Read more at: Five reasons I'd rather run Windows 8 than Linux | ZDNet
Five reasons Windows 8.1 is a winner | Computerworld Blogs
More a list of killer features that are a big improvement over windows 7. I loved windows 7 and hats the idea of win8 and struggled with it to begin with but it's better in many ways.. 1. Super fast boot. My PC starts up in about 12 seconds and the sleep mode is instant to resume. Very handy! ...
Five reasons why Windows 8 has failed | ZDNet
7 Reasons Windows 8 RT was DOA
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook