Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 swells to 2.7% of OS market

  1. #51


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Microsoft will be jumping for joy. Makes you wonder.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #52


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Microsoft will be jumping for joy. Makes you wonder.
    I don't think Microsoft really cares what goes on on a daily basis, I think they just look at the figures. Maybe if you're lucky they'll dump Windows 8, if I'm lucky they'll continue it and make it better.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #53


    Posts : 1,127
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    if you look at the people who are leading edge with upgrades and technology, the gamers, things are fine with Windows 8. gamers are the ones making hardware upgrades every few months. they were the driving force for video cards, CPUs, RAM, SSDs, etc. they were the first drivers of the move from 32-bit to 64-bit. gamers are the ones spending the most money and driving the hardware market forward. they are a very good barometer for where the market goes.

    look at the steam hardware survey (your hardware is automatically read by the Steam service):
    Steam Hardware & Software Survey

    Click image for larger version
    pretty good showing
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #54


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyvu View Post
    if you look at the people who are leading edge with upgrades and technology, the gamers, things are fine with Windows 8. gamers are the ones making hardware upgrades every few months. they were the driving force for video cards, CPUs, RAM, SSDs, etc. they were the first drivers of the move from 32-bit to 64-bit. gamers are the ones spending the most money and driving the hardware market forward. they are a very good barometer for where the market goes.

    look at the steam hardware survey (your hardware is automatically read by the Steam service):
    Steam Hardware & Software Survey

    Click image for larger version
    pretty good showing
    Isn't it ironic, that's how I got interested in computers, gaming on the best computer of its time, the Commodore Amiga. When that lost its way I was lured by Doom onto the PC, and soon after Unreal and then Unreal Tournament.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #55


    Posts : 120
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    What I've yet to get is why people are so antsy about Windows 8. Don't want apps? Uninstall all of them. Work in the Desktop? You can make the Start Screen reflect that, so it's just a giant start menu the size of the Desktop. That's essentially it. That's essentially the point that all the overly vocal critics ALWAYS WITHOUT FAIL seem to over shoot the runway with. EVERY SINGLE TIME

    "I don't like the apps and they can't window!" Then don't use them.
    "The Start Screen gets in my way!" And the start menu doesn't?
    "The Start Screen is only meant for tablets and desktops should have a menu!" That's what basically Windows 7 was doing, the SAME UI on tablets, netbooks, laptops, and desktops.
    "It's confusing!" Then learn it and don't be confused anymore.
    "I want a start menu!" Then install one.

    I've seen toddlers get over tantrums faster than this....
    Some people don't like a touch UI slapped on top of their desktop OS. I don't know why that is so hard for you to grasp.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #56


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Microsoft will be jumping for joy. Makes you wonder.
    I don't think Microsoft really cares what goes on on a daily basis, I think they just look at the figures. Maybe if you're lucky they'll dump Windows 8, if I'm lucky they'll continue it and make it better.
    Hi there
    You seem to be having a personal ONE MAN vendetta against Windows 8 -- True Windows 8 really Does have a few -- but not nearly as many as is often portrayed -- problems but surely just 100% rants against W8 mouthing the same stuff over and over again doesn't really add anything worthwhile to the debate -- especially on a W8 Forum where most of us try and HELP users with their problems or discuss ways of overcoming Windows 8 shortfalls.

    Anyway a reality check -- DESKTOP users especially in a work place AREN'T the people driving new hardware or need faster and faster software / hardware mixes -- most companies that still supply users with computing equipment probably have hardware that's almost in the Stone age compared to what those same users have at home.

    Ms has realized this -- and while they *may* have alienated a load of Desktop users -- these same users can stick with W7 for at least another 7 years - and if people want to use earlier OS'e --well XP is still OK for another 18 months and there are plenty of "Mom and Pop" type home users still managing with VISTA or earlier systems.

    I'm actually GLAD Ms is investigating and designing the OS for more modern hardware including touch and mobile - and this type of hardware is GROWING whereas pure Desktops will basically go nowhere and become just legacy devices.

    I HATED W8 at first but I spent a little time with it and it really is much more flexible to make it work how you want it to --almost replicating W7 if that's your wish.

    Of course some people want bits of the GUI changed and allow a load more customisation of Metro tiles - especially when installing standard Windows applications -- but by judicious use of TOOLBARS you never need to look at the windows 8 start screen after first boot -- and really about 90% of people who are just basic casual users will just take a computer home and use it whatever OS is on it. W8 will of course morph into something else - remember this is only a first iteration of Ms's new OS.

    However just carrying on a one man tirade against Ms gets a bit pointless and uninteresting as it's going exactly NOWHERE fast.
    You might just as well try a one man campaign to "Unseat" President Obama before his term expires. You'd probably have more success with that one however unlikely than getting Ms to shut down.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #57


    Posts : 239
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Microsoft will be jumping for joy. Makes you wonder.
    I don't think Microsoft really cares what goes on on a daily basis, I think they just look at the figures. Maybe if you're lucky they'll dump Windows 8, if I'm lucky they'll continue it and make it better.
    Hi there
    You seem to be having a personal ONE MAN vendetta against Windows 8 -- True Windows 8 really Does have a few -- but not nearly as many as is often portrayed -- problems but surely just 100% rants against W8 mouthing the same stuff over and over again doesn't really add anything worthwhile to the debate -- especially on a W8 Forum where most of us try and HELP users with their problems or discuss ways of overcoming Windows 8 shortfalls.

    Anyway a reality check -- DESKTOP users especially in a work place AREN'T the people driving new hardware or need faster and faster software / hardware mixes -- most companies that still supply users with computing equipment probably have hardware that's almost in the Stone age compared to what those same users have at home.

    Ms has realized this -- and while they *may* have alienated a load of Desktop users -- these same users can stick with W7 for at least another 7 years - and if people want to use earlier OS'e --well XP is still OK for another 18 months and there are plenty of "Mom and Pop" type home users still managing with VISTA or earlier systems.

    I'm actually GLAD Ms is investigating and designing the OS for more modern hardware including touch and mobile - and this type of hardware is GROWING whereas pure Desktops will basically go nowhere and become just legacy devices.

    I HATED W8 at first but I spent a little time with it and it really is much more flexible to make it work how you want it to --almost replicating W7 if that's your wish.

    Of course some people want bits of the GUI changed and allow a load more customisation of Metro tiles - especially when installing standard Windows applications -- but by judicious use of TOOLBARS you never need to look at the windows 8 start screen after first boot -- and really about 90% of people who are just basic casual users will just take a computer home and use it whatever OS is on it. W8 will of course morph into something else - remember this is only a first iteration of Ms's new OS.

    However just carrying on a one man tirade against Ms gets a bit pointless and uninteresting as it's going exactly NOWHERE fast.
    You might just as well try a one man campaign to "Unseat" President Obama before his term expires. You'd probably have more success with that one however unlikely than getting Ms to shut down.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Agreed Jimbo - I think everything negative that's been said about Win8 has been repeated over and over and I count myself in that crowd. Maybe MS will fail with Win8 and maybe it will be a raging success, only time will tell. It's not for me as my Win7 rig is running just fine so I'll stay as I am.

    Clearly MS have some sort of game plan which again will succeed or fail - another time teller. I think though that the forum should really revert to it's intended roots of helping those that have installed Win8 and are having problems/queries/etc with the OS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #58


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by mart4494 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    I don't think Microsoft really cares what goes on on a daily basis, I think they just look at the figures. Maybe if you're lucky they'll dump Windows 8, if I'm lucky they'll continue it and make it better.
    Hi there
    You seem to be having a personal ONE MAN vendetta against Windows 8 -- True Windows 8 really Does have a few -- but not nearly as many as is often portrayed -- problems but surely just 100% rants against W8 mouthing the same stuff over and over again doesn't really add anything worthwhile to the debate -- especially on a W8 Forum where most of us try and HELP users with their problems or discuss ways of overcoming Windows 8 shortfalls.

    Anyway a reality check -- DESKTOP users especially in a work place AREN'T the people driving new hardware or need faster and faster software / hardware mixes -- most companies that still supply users with computing equipment probably have hardware that's almost in the Stone age compared to what those same users have at home.

    Ms has realized this -- and while they *may* have alienated a load of Desktop users -- these same users can stick with W7 for at least another 7 years - and if people want to use earlier OS'e --well XP is still OK for another 18 months and there are plenty of "Mom and Pop" type home users still managing with VISTA or earlier systems.

    I'm actually GLAD Ms is investigating and designing the OS for more modern hardware including touch and mobile - and this type of hardware is GROWING whereas pure Desktops will basically go nowhere and become just legacy devices.

    I HATED W8 at first but I spent a little time with it and it really is much more flexible to make it work how you want it to --almost replicating W7 if that's your wish.

    Of course some people want bits of the GUI changed and allow a load more customisation of Metro tiles - especially when installing standard Windows applications -- but by judicious use of TOOLBARS you never need to look at the windows 8 start screen after first boot -- and really about 90% of people who are just basic casual users will just take a computer home and use it whatever OS is on it. W8 will of course morph into something else - remember this is only a first iteration of Ms's new OS.

    However just carrying on a one man tirade against Ms gets a bit pointless and uninteresting as it's going exactly NOWHERE fast.
    You might just as well try a one man campaign to "Unseat" President Obama before his term expires. You'd probably have more success with that one however unlikely than getting Ms to shut down.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Agreed Jimbo - I think everything negative that's been said about Win8 has been repeated over and over and I count myself in that crowd. Maybe MS will fail with Win8 and maybe it will be a raging success, only time will tell. It's not for me as my Win7 rig is running just fine so I'll stay as I am.

    Clearly MS have some sort of game plan which again will succeed or fail - another time teller. I think though that the forum should really revert to it's intended roots of helping those that have installed Win8 and are having problems/queries/etc with the OS.
    Hi there
    well said -- you are honest -- and if you don't like it that's fine -- there ARE issues as you can see.
    Anyway I really do believe this is part of an evolving situation -- and we do have a load of hardware devices that were inconceivable a few years ago.

    These devices do need a different type of OS -- and I can understand 100% with some people that computing in some areas is moving "out of their comfort zone".

    For instance it took me ages and ages before I'd even think about LOOKING at a smart phone much less actually using one -- but honestly these days I wouldn't do without it -- I've found things like catching trains, getting buses in central London / Berlin / Paris etc absolutely simple with mobile phone apps and other things too numerous to even start writing about.

    I used to do this type of research with a Laptop in a Hotel or even go into an Internet Café. Sometimes now I don't even bother to TAKE a laptop with me when I'm just away for 3 or 4 days.

    I certainly don't blame Ms for attempting to join the party - even if they are a bit late in turning up --in fact my next phone will definitely be a Windows 8 phone -- they seem excellent here.

    It will be hard on some traditional Die hard desktop users but if you've been in business you will realize that it's very very costly indeed to maintain a load of separate lines which are really intended to do the same thing - and it's quite obvious that there is a DWINDLING market for the classical desktop -- however sad that is for a lot of people. - However -- like Vinyl there will be a desktop OS around for as long as you want so you don't have to embrace things like touch, mobile , smart devices etc if you don't want to. You can still buy Vinyl records too if you like but nobody suggests these are mainstream any more -- although they probably will outlive the CD. !!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #59


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    The thing with all this hating on Windows 8 is that it's killing the goose that lays the Golden Eggs. Microsoft made it possible for the whole world to own cheap computers in all shapes and sizes, and now we're condemning them for trying to stay afloat.

    What would happen if MS were to close down tomorrow, I know what would happen, the world would be in turmoil. I know this is a bit melodramatic, but to me it almost seems that that's what people want.

    Surely it's time to make a choice, go with Windows 8 or stick with Windows 7.

    I'm not saying that if you have real problems you should accept it, that's what this forum is here for to help people, surely it's not here to scare them away.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #60


    Posts : 120
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    I'm actually GLAD Ms is investigating and designing the OS for more modern hardware including touch and mobile - and this type of hardware is GROWING whereas pure Desktops will basically go nowhere and become just legacy devices.
    Perhaps they need to be able to do that without upsetting their existing, huge, customer base. Otherwise they risk people simply sticking with Apple and Google for their mobile devices, while at the same time ignoring or flat-out rejecting also Windows 8 on traditional devices. And this precise scenario seems to be exactly what's going on at the moment. I want Microsoft to become an important player on the mobile space, but not at the expense of the traditional desktop.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Windows 8 swells to 2.7% of OS market
Related Threads
Windows Phone bumps along with only 3.2% of U.S. market | Computerworld Blogs
Windows 8.1 won't rescue PC market this year, IDC says - Computerworld
Windows 8 Grabs 5.42% of the OS Market
http://i39.tinypic.com/2lsfntt.png Source A Guy
How to market Windows 8 in Windows 8 News
Microsoft Releases a New Round of Cringe Worthy Ads | Maximum PC
Okay, let me get this straight. Did Microsoft just kill the Windows tablet OEM market? | ZDNet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook