Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 swells to 2.7% of OS market

  1. #151


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post

    That's like saying someone is half pregnant. You either stick to facts or not.

    However, your repertoire is so expansive that us mere mortals can't quite comprehend your near omnipotence on all things technology.
    And I've been told I belittle people....

    Clearly there are language and cultural differences between Australia and wherever you are from.

    To wit, you can't have almost-facts, half-facts or near-facts; just like you can't be half pregnant, it's all or nothing.

    And yes, I am simply gobsmacked by Bill's repertoire; point out anything and he's been there, done that. Legends don't come about too often and when they do, you sit back in awe.
    Hi there
    I love 'OZ -- and distance between us is almost the maximum distance that it's possible to be on Planet Earth.

    Great people, good beer (generally), great fun -- and they aren't afraid to express their opinions either -- at least in their parliament the MP's REALLY show what they think of each other -- some of their "debates" make a typical Bar Brawl seem like a Sunday School sermon. !!!

    I've always had a good time down under and it's really hard getting on the plane again to leave.

    If there's one around and you want opinions on things then ask an 'Aussie -- they usually don't tolerate any form of B/S in my opinion. Good for them.

    G'Day Mates. !!!

    Cheers
    jimbo

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #152


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    . "Exhorting folk to follow where MS wants to lead them is collaborating"
    Me personally, I think our best path is to follow Microsoft, that is the path with the least amount of landmines, and its a technology most of the world already has.

    But hey, each to their own if the world ditches computers, I'm already halfway across both paths..
    ME PERSONALLY. And TO EACH THEIR OWN and I'm ALREADY HALFWAY ACROSS BOTH PATHS.

    Collaborating, I don't think so, sounds more like I DON'T CARE.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #153


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Hi there
    Has this thread REALLY reached 16 pages -- who would have thought it on such a "Dry Statistic". !!

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #154


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post

    And I've been told I belittle people....

    Clearly there are language and cultural differences between Australia and wherever you are from.

    To wit, you can't have almost-facts, half-facts or near-facts; just like you can't be half pregnant, it's all or nothing.

    And yes, I am simply gobsmacked by Bill's repertoire; point out anything and he's been there, done that. Legends don't come about too often and when they do, you sit back in awe.
    Hi there
    I love 'OZ -- and distance between us is almost the maximum distance that it's possible to be on Planet Earth.

    Great people, good beer (generally), great fun -- and they aren't afraid to express their opinions either -- at least in their parliament the MP's REALLY show what they think of each other -- some of their "debates" make a typical Bar Brawl seem like a Sunday School sermon. !!!

    I've always had a good time down under and it's really hard getting on the plane again to leave.

    If there's one around and you want opinions on things then ask an 'Aussie -- they usually don't tolerate any form of B/S in my opinion. Good for them.

    G'Day Mates. !!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Funny, you like coming over here and I like going over there, looks like I might be going again shortly. It is nice to get back home again though, although there's some wild weather at the moment, half the countries' on fire and the other half is flooding.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #155


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there
    Has this thread REALLY reached 16 pages -- who would have thought it on such a "Dry Statistic". !!

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Its like The War of the Worlds, some people want Windows 8 to die and others like me(not many) want Windows 8 to succeed. I have a habit of picking the underdog, I bought the HTC OneX.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #156


    Posts : 120
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass


    All this talk about how Windows 8 is being misunderstood by dumb users not willing to give it a fair chance sounds really familiar. It's what Linux apologists have been saying for years to cover up obvious shortcomings in the software. It's never a good sign.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #157


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by mcnulty View Post
    All this talk about how Windows 8 is being misunderstood by dumb users not willing to give it a fair chance sounds really familiar. It's what Linux apologists have been saying for years to cover up obvious shortcomings in the software. It's never a good sign.
    Hi there
    Actually the Linux discussions are great -- a load of devices etc would NEVER work if people hadn't done a lot of work IN THEIR SPARE TIME to program and test this stuff. Being Open Source also helps - but the downside of this is that there generally isn't any central repository for development etc so it's often trial and error as to what devices work on what distro.

    The problem with a lot of Linuxes now is that people want to make it a "Better Windows than Windows" as the latest posts about Linux Mint seem to imply.

    Linux to me is a 100% fantastic SERVER type system -- bloating some of the modern distros seems to just ruin what the original idea was all about. I'll bet that a Lean and mean W8 installation now works FASTER than a load of current Linuxes and once you start messing about with USB3 -- good luck to you. !!

    Linux has its uses -- but replacing Windows -- "No Way Jose .."

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #158


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)

    The World won't end


    Quote Originally Posted by R0bR View Post
    Little effect huh? Maybe you should step back to reality.
    I'm sorry to hear that your PC would explode, wiping out all life in your immediate vicinity.

    My PC and software (including Windows and Office) would continue to function serenely (as per usual).
    I'm also pretty sure that everyone else's Windows PC would also continue to function.

    The bottom line is that the World won't end if MS vanishes.

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there
    Has this thread REALLY reached 16 pages -- who would have thought it on such a "Dry Statistic". !!
    Oh right ... the statistics.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #159


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there
    Has this thread REALLY reached 16 pages -- who would have thought it on such a "Dry Statistic". !!

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Could grow even more.

    Windows 8 Critics Keep the Party Going on Microsoft?s Forums - Softpedia
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #160


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Teerex View Post
    Just to add two more cents, the battery life of Surface Pro has shown that the OS alone can do squat about power efficiency. Hardware support is the only one that makes a difference. Now, that said, they can just as easily update the Windows 7 kernel to do connected standby, but we know that they won't. And if there is no Windows 7 SP 2 to help us reduce update bloat in the servicing folder for the sole reason of pushing people towards Windows 8, then Microsoft is evil. And I'll start to hate Monkeyboy and the rest of the management, although I'll still love one of their products. Apple will be more fair than them.
    I don't understand why some think Microsoft should support a three year old OS just because it's the most used right now. That will end up with another xp....

    Are you serious?

    It has life left. It's usable and gets the job done. People understand it.
    There is cost and time involved in changing OS's. The benefits of Windows 8 don't seem to be appealing enough for businesses to make the change to 8.

    Saying we will end up with another XP is a really bad comparison. Windows XP was great and I STILL have about 10-15 systems running XP where I am at and they keep chugging away and getting the job done. That's almost 12 years of use from that OS. I hope we get the same longevity from Windows 7.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Windows 8 swells to 2.7% of OS market
Related Threads
Windows Phone bumps along with only 3.2% of U.S. market | Computerworld Blogs
Windows 8.1 won't rescue PC market this year, IDC says - Computerworld
Windows 8 Grabs 5.42% of the OS Market
http://i39.tinypic.com/2lsfntt.png Source A Guy
How to market Windows 8 in Windows 8 News
Microsoft Releases a New Round of Cringe Worthy Ads | Maximum PC
Okay, let me get this straight. Did Microsoft just kill the Windows tablet OEM market? | ZDNet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook