Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Ubuntu does what Microsoft couldn't?

  1. #71


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    To be frank, sounds like primo FUD.
    Nope.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #72


    Posts : 835
    Win 8.1 Pro


    Parks, that is the the same thing that people say "I have nothing to hide, so I don't care"

    Guess what, those are the last words of a people that lose their rights to privacy. Soon after, they will collect stuff you care about.
    and if you seriously don't care what anyone collects on you, I do care what they collect on me. Not because I have anything to hide, but because it is none of their business.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #73


    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
    Parks, that is the the same thing that people say "I have nothing to hide, so I don't care"

    Guess what, those are the last words of a people that lose their rights to privacy. Soon after, they will collect stuff you care about.
    Again, I ask of you guys...what are they collecting and how do you suppose they are going to use it against you? How do you people live real lives in the real world? Ever go to a bar and have people see you drinking? Even go to a strip club and have people see you there? Ever visit a store for couples and have somebody see you buying something for your wife/girlfriend? Could any of this ever be somehow used against you? Sure it could. But I would hope that you don't sit around worrying about it 24x7 and instead live your life.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
    and if you seriously don't care what anyone collects on you, I do care what they collect on me. Not because I have anything to hide, but because it is none of their business.
    You have a right to care. I just feel that people jump to conclusions and assume that Google is some sort of evil empire engaging in mysterious practices which will ruin your life. I ask people to step forward and explain what it is that they do and how they go about doing it and how it will ruin you? Because I think in the end people have heard stuff, and assume some stuff, and just run with it. That's why I call it FUD. Just the fact that you use the Internet and you use an ISP should pretty much assure you that somebody could be listening.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #74


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    To be frank, sounds like primo FUD.
    Nope.
    Well, your argument is compelling. No offense intended.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #75


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    I don't know what they are collecting, if anything, but Google installs .exe files without your permission and runs them without your permission.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #76


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    I don't know what they are collecting, if anything, but Google installs .exe files without your permission and runs them without your permission.
    Says you. I say they are not installing random .exe files and running them without your permission. You are trying to convince me that something IS there and if there is, it can be proven. I'm asking you to provide that proof.

    It's hard for me to provide proof that something doesn't exist, if it doesn't exist. So, I apologize if it seems I am just trying to skip out on doing the leg work or the heavy lifting.

    You MUST have something more to go on than a feeling that they are doing something we don't know about. If this were really going on, people would be absolutely up in arms. Security nerds would be screaming from their soapboxes. TheRegister and Slashdot would be having an absolute hayday.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #77


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    I don't know what they are collecting, if anything, but Google installs .exe files without your permission and runs them without your permission.
    Says you. I say they are not installing random .exe files and running them without your permission. You are trying to convince me that something IS there and if there is, it can be proven. I'm asking you to provide that proof.

    It's hard for me to provide proof that something doesn't exist, if it doesn't exist. So, I apologize if it seems I am just trying to skip out on doing the leg work or the heavy lifting.

    You MUST have something more to go on than a feeling that they are doing something we don't know about. If this were really going on, people would be absolutely up in arms. Security nerds would be screaming from their soapboxes. TheRegister and Slashdot would be having an absolute hayday.
    I never state anything without the facts to back me up. It took me a while to remember what name some of the files went under, so that a Google search (ironic) would provide the evidence. He's one reference: How to Remove GoogleUpdate.exe
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #78


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)

    Given the track record ...


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    As a longtime Ubuntu user on desktops and laptops, I gave up on the distro completely with Unity. It's a horrible interface, doesn't work at all in a way that I prefer. Linux mint is what I play around with now on desktops. On my servers, it's CentOS all of the way.
    CentOS is nice.
    We used that in my TAFE Linux Server subject.

    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    How much of your usage is being "accidentally" collected by Google, when you use a Chromebook?
    The collecting of data sure does seem to concern a lot of people. I honestly don't care at all. I fully expect my ISP and my search engine can tell a lot from what I search on. And for me, that's fine. I don't do anything questionable. I don't download/pirate software, music, movies, tv shows, etc. I'd be perfectly happy to have my surfing history provided to my wife, my mom, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Like I said above, I'm unsure why so many are so paranoid about this. I use Google Chrome pretty much exclusively. I use gmail for my email. And I have a personal Google Apps account my family uses. Nothing bad has ever come my way as far as I know from any of this.
    As long as Google isn't "accidentally" collecting your financial details (and other passwords and logins).
    They got caught "accidentally" creating a database of unsecured WAPs.

    Given the track record of giant companies (Google, MS, Sony, etc.) regarding data security; the less they know, the better.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #79


    Ummm...seriously...these are the executables that are installed to check to see if you are running the latest versions of the software. And Google has a pretty wide array of software.
    Google Updater and Google Update - Google Help

    There are many reasons why you would want to be on the latest versions. Known incompatibilities, security vulnerabilities, new features, bug fixes, etc.

    If you want a real eye opening experience, run something like Wireshark on your computer, or critically analyze your router logs to see how much stuff is happening behind the scenes from Microsoft.

    If things like Googleupdate.exe are going to really freak you out, there isn't anything I am going to be able to say or show you to make you change your mind.

    Software gets updated. My Xbox360 downloads updates, my 360 games get updates, my PS3 gets updates, my Wii gets updates, my Kindle gets updates, my cell phone gets updates, my PC gets Windows updates, my Linux machines get updates, even my home theater receiver and my BluRay player are connected to the Internet and get updates.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #80


    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    As long as Google isn't "accidentally" collecting your financial details (and other passwords and logins).
    They got caught "accidentally" creating a database of unsecured WAPs.
    If people run an unsecured WAP, that is their issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Given the track record of giant companies (Google, MS, Sony, etc.) regarding data security; the less they know, the better.
    While I do agree and especially with things such as credit cards, debit cards, social security numbers, etc......like you said, it's lots of big companies that have lots of information about you. I don't honestly believe that Google has put me in any more jeopardy than anything else.

    I recently had a debit card compromised. I caught it right when it happened, it was 2 transactions for $47 to Walmart.com (a site I have never ever purchased from). I shut down my card, I filed a police report, I disputed the charges with my bank and I got my money back. I got a new debit card, I changed my online sites to use it, and I have continued to use my card. Sure, I could have gone to nothing but cash and become truly paranoid, but I just dealt with the situation, and have moved on. There were safeguards and measures in place and the end result wasn't too terrible for me, just slightly inconvenient. But the convenience of using that debit card for the past 10 years certainly outweighed this one experience.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Ubuntu does what Microsoft couldn't?
Related Threads
Hello guys!! I can't change the screen brightness now, but before i can, and it's already Windows 8.1. But at the beginning of October, i can't change my brightness. My hotkey still work, but only move one stage and the screen brightness is still there. Is there something that's spanking up my...
Solved n*(C) ITEMS COULDN'T BE RECYCLED! in Software and Apps
Hi guys, I want to delete few images from my Photos app in Metro. These images are not there in the specified folder when I looked upon in File Explorer. 48497
Windows couldn't be activated in Windows Updates & Activation
My computer came with pre-installed Windows 8 Single Language but I can't active it. I tried all solutions on google but nothing useful. I contacted Microsoft but they didn't response. My error code: 0xC004F074.:rolleyes:
After Windows 8.1 downloaded and installed an update and also SQL Server 2012 SP1, I restarted it and then it no longer booted. The BIOS splash screen would pop up, then the screen went black and nothing else happened. Even the hard drive activity stopped. I booted from the Windows 8 DVD and...
couldn't activate [cbs.log included] in Windows Updates & Activation
Here is my cbs log Dropbox I replaced the hdd on my laptop with a ssd. By cloning, I move everything over and it was working, but today, the activation pops up saying I need to activate my copy of windows. I tried entering the key but its not working...:(
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in but.. Have installed Windows 8 64bit on three computers, all similar spec (amd a8 processors and gigabyte f2 motherboards with 8gig ram.) Windows seems to be ok in every other respect other than I am getting an error in the metro store....
couldn't mount image in Virtualization
i use windows 8 professional edition, when i want to mount the image, the warning message came and it says "couldn't mount image because its in use" although i'm not mount it, do you have any answers ? thanks :D
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook