Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Ubuntu does what Microsoft couldn't?

  1. #41


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    I can look back at the debates that I've had over the years with Apple and Linux fanboys (this goes back to at least 1997) and I now really appreciate that Microsoft fanboys are just as bad, if not worse, than the former. However, Windows 8 has brought out the very worst in Microsoft fanboys, always on the immediate and often irrational attack over any slight, perceived or real. At the end of the day, this rampant fanboyism and inability to consider anything contrary in a balanced way, will come back to haunt you.

    I've tried Linux numerous times (Ubuntu from at least version 10 and the latest Mint) and yesterday removed and installed Vista back on my test bed notebook that contained Mint (I'm still installing updates 24 hours later, not without issues), so that I can better evaluate LibreOffice and Thunderbird on a low spec device. Linux is good, but it's not great and still has a long way to go before it can compete with Windows (of any flavour) when it comes to versatility. That said, things are happening and anyone that ignores what's going on is either wilfully blind or a fool.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #42


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    I can look back at the debates that I've had over the years with Apple and Linux fanboys (this goes back to at least 1997) and I now really appreciate that Microsoft fanboys are just as bad, if not worse, than the former. However, Windows 8 has brought out the very worst in Microsoft fanboys, always on the immediate and often irrational attack over any slight, perceived or real. At the end of the day, this rampant fanboyism and inability to consider anything contrary in a balanced way, will come back to haunt you.

    I've tried Linux numerous times (Ubuntu from at least version 10 and the latest Mint) and yesterday removed and installed Vista back on my test bed notebook that contained Mint (I'm still installing updates 24 hours later, not without issues), so that I can better evaluate LibreOffice and Thunderbird on a low spec device. Linux is good, but it's not great and still has a long way to go before it can compete with Windows (of any flavour) when it comes to versatility. That said, things are happening and anyone that ignores what's going on is either wilfully blind or a fool.
    I just asked you to explain what you said, I knew you wouldn't be able to, so now you call me a Fanboy. I know exactly what's going on around me, I should I've got my feet firmly embedded in three different OS's, well four if you count Linux.

    If I were a MS Fanboy I wouldn't have all the tech that I've got, all I'm trying to point out is that their plan is the best that I can see at the moment, especially as most of the world is already heavily invested in Windows products.

    I don't want any of this other stuff to go away, I just want MS to be given credit for what they're trying to do and not get continually bagged for doing it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #43


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    I can look back at the debates that I've had over the years with Apple and Linux fanboys (this goes back to at least 1997) and I now really appreciate that Microsoft fanboys are just as bad, if not worse, than the former. However, Windows 8 has brought out the very worst in Microsoft fanboys, always on the immediate and often irrational attack over any slight, perceived or real. At the end of the day, this rampant fanboyism and inability to consider anything contrary in a balanced way, will come back to haunt you.

    I've tried Linux numerous times (Ubuntu from at least version 10 and the latest Mint) and yesterday removed and installed Vista back on my test bed notebook that contained Mint (I'm still installing updates 24 hours later, not without issues), so that I can better evaluate LibreOffice and Thunderbird on a low spec device. Linux is good, but it's not great and still has a long way to go before it can compete with Windows (of any flavour) when it comes to versatility. That said, things are happening and anyone that ignores what's going on is either wilfully blind or a fool.
    I just asked you to explain what you said, I knew you wouldn't be able to, so now you call me a Fanboy. I know exactly what's going on around me, I should I've got my feet firmly embedded in three different OS's, well four if you count Linux.

    If I were a MS Fanboy I wouldn't have all the tech that I've got, all I'm trying to point out is that their plan is the best that I can see at the moment, especially as most of the world is already heavily invested in Windows products.

    I don't want any of this other stuff to go away, I just want MS to be given credit for what they're trying to do and not get continually bagged for doing it.
    I responded to your questions here: Ubuntu does what Microsoft couldn't?, in case you failed to notice (which appears most likely considering your subsequent confusion).

    My follow-on post was to your general statement here: Ubuntu does what Microsoft couldn't?, which sought no answers, and included a response to Mr Robot's post on Linux.

    In what I understand to be the American vernacular, 'you need to take a chill pill.'
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #44


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Don't tell me you haven't worked out yet that I'm Australian.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #45


    Fiji
    Posts : 77
    7HP x64/7 Ultimate x32


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Don't tell me you haven't worked out yet that I'm Australian.
    Fair dinkum Mate

    South Pacific is a little too small for all of us, gotta go conquer the world.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #46


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Don't tell me you haven't worked out yet that I'm Australian.
    Are you ashamed to put the flag in your sig?

    And it seems a rabid Microsoft fanboy since at least 2009: BillWindows's CNET Community Member Profile.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #47


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Don't tell me you haven't worked out yet that I'm Australian.
    Are you ashamed to put the flag in your sig?
    Why should I be, I've never thought about it really, I'll get around to it one of these days, cant rush these things.

    Our actors seem to be conquering the world, good on em.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #48


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Our actors seem to be conquering the world, good on em.
    It goes in cycles.
    Remember Paul Hogan and Nicole Kidman?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #49


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    I think I'm gonna give the mint a try, just for kicks...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #50


    Posts : 835
    Win 8.1 Pro


    Just to iterate some points here.

    In Win8, You can run an app and desktop at the same time, however, it is 2 different panes and not all apps function when quarter or 3/4's screen.

    I have been playing with ubuntu now for a couple of days, and tried both 12.10 and now 12.04 LTS. 12.04 is better, and smoother.

    To start, I am not slamming Ubuntu, just stating my first impressions of Ubuntu at this time, and they are not entirely favorable.

    The wubi installer is a slight PIA to get working properly. It will not always detect that you have the ISO, and forces you to download the ISO again, which it does automatically, but still, I already have it, detect it and use it, PINTA. And you can't point it to the ISO, or mount/drive location. Especially if you have to reinstall.
    This is for Dual Booting with Win8 (or other), it installs as a Virtual Hard Drive in a folder called Ubuntu wherever you point it.
    This is nice for a few reasons, but also a PIA to get working properly with no real settings. So, this is just a really stupid way of how they do it.

    Trying it out in say Vbox or other, is fine, but you don't get full hardware support, or as much from a full install, or from the VHD wubi install.

    I could install it in a Hyper-V VHD, which I have not tried yet. but not sure I want to go that far yet.

    2. this is not just me, but others as well. using a USB Wireless Mouse (not BT), once booted, you have to unplug or turn the mouse off and back on, because, the mouse will scroll like 15 lines or more.

    3. I have had 12.10 apps crash numerous times, such as Terminal, their App Store browser, gpedit and other stuff.
    you can open it right back up, but, still they are crashing.

    It's still not as user friendly as even Win8 is. Yes, Win8 is different, but if you have used windows for a long time, you pretty much know what you are looking for and can find it eventually. Software installs much quicker in Windows. I have tried installing a number of things in Ubuntu from the Software App they have, and it has not been exactly,,, quick, quite long for some small things to install. this could be their server. Cause I know it isn't my system, or my internet.

    12.04, things open fast, but there are some apps that have been recommended, so I went looking and installed them, either they don't work anymore, or they are hard to find, and for the ones that don't work anymore, development has stopped.

    So, with Linux, you run the risk, quite often of that happening.
    Yeah, you do in Windows to, but, the software does continue to work in new versions, not always so in Linux

    Linux has far too many flavors, and trying to find one you like is a daunting task in of itself. Then you have different shells, and again, finding one you like takes a lot of time. Then, you have to worry about having things work even across shells.

    Linux, has a VERY VERY long way to go still before it can even be a contender to Mac, let alone Android, hell, ChomeOS has a better chance to be honest.

    As for fanboyism, I don't call them Lin-Nazis for no reason. Sorry, but Windows people are really much more forgiving.
    Sure, you have a rabid few, but honestly, not like Linux rabies. Lin-Nazis really does fit.

    Now, Win8 has issues with how apps and desktop work, yes, it has separated the 2 areas, these really should be/need to be, brought together. And not in the App Area, in the Desktop. Otherwise I could see Windows dying a slow death.
    The concepts that Ubuntu has for cross platform are what MS needs to focus on. I know they won't to that though.

    IF, and that is a really huge IF, Ubuntu DOES happen to pull off the cross platform stuff, they will still have numerous issues with hardware and software support, and maintaining a repository of working software. Plus, they still need to get a whole lot more user friendly. I found a way to add shortcuts to the desktop, but they removed the Launcher creator and it's a pain to do it by command line.

    Ubuntu still has continents to cross before it's even close to ready for prime time.

    You could say, that my problems with ubuntu or Linux in general are, that I don't know the system. That's true, not as well as I know Windows. But, I'm a tech, I know how software works, I know how to use a command line and syntax, it's not difficult for me to know what I am reading when i go looking for help. But, Joe Schmo and his Grandma, well, let's just say, they can figure out Windows, good luck with Linux (any flavor).

    Sure, you can surf and do some things out of the box in Linux, but if you want to do more, say watch Netflix? How to get Netflix streaming on Ubuntu 12.10 | TechRepublic

    Have fun explaining that to Grandma, and when something goes wrong with Wine or it's missing something, how to fix it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Ubuntu does what Microsoft couldn't?
Related Threads
Hello guys!! I can't change the screen brightness now, but before i can, and it's already Windows 8.1. But at the beginning of October, i can't change my brightness. My hotkey still work, but only move one stage and the screen brightness is still there. Is there something that's spanking up my...
Solved n*(C) ITEMS COULDN'T BE RECYCLED! in Software and Apps
Hi guys, I want to delete few images from my Photos app in Metro. These images are not there in the specified folder when I looked upon in File Explorer. 48497
Windows couldn't be activated in Windows Updates & Activation
My computer came with pre-installed Windows 8 Single Language but I can't active it. I tried all solutions on google but nothing useful. I contacted Microsoft but they didn't response. My error code: 0xC004F074.:rolleyes:
After Windows 8.1 downloaded and installed an update and also SQL Server 2012 SP1, I restarted it and then it no longer booted. The BIOS splash screen would pop up, then the screen went black and nothing else happened. Even the hard drive activity stopped. I booted from the Windows 8 DVD and...
couldn't activate [cbs.log included] in Windows Updates & Activation
Here is my cbs log Dropbox I replaced the hdd on my laptop with a ssd. By cloning, I move everything over and it was working, but today, the activation pops up saying I need to activate my copy of windows. I tried entering the key but its not working...:(
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in but.. Have installed Windows 8 64bit on three computers, all similar spec (amd a8 processors and gigabyte f2 motherboards with 8gig ram.) Windows seems to be ok in every other respect other than I am getting an error in the metro store....
couldn't mount image in Virtualization
i use windows 8 professional edition, when i want to mount the image, the warning message came and it says "couldn't mount image because its in use" although i'm not mount it, do you have any answers ? thanks :D
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook