Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

There is no Plan B

  1. #111


    Posts : 138
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sashlon View Post
    Well, you know what they say about sarcasm...

    Also, those sales figures don't take the last 2 quarters into account where, according to most of the info out there, there's been a huge jump in tablet sales, and and PC sales are stagnant at best.

    Also, I never said users were the problem. I said if you don't want to use Windows 8 then don't use it. Use what you're happy with.
    I don't know. What do they say about sarcasm?

    I also pointed out that the graph was but one of many showing the 'steady state' status of PCs. It has been at this steady state for many years. The PC market is pretty much saturated and there hasn't been much scope for growth for years. I made no statement about the sales of tablets.

    Nor did I say that you said users were the problem, but you did say:

    People lament about it being 'confusing' or 'unproductive'. People are often afraid or unsettled by change. If you don't like windows 8, then don't suffer needlessly.
    Most people who are critical of some aspects of Windows 8 do not find it confusing or unproductive, are afraid or unsettled by change, or are suffering. I'm not sure where you've gained this idea? However, that does seem to be the common view, amongst a few, whenever anyone raises any criticism of Windows 8.
    Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #112


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Sarcasm is generally a polite way of being rude...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #113


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Oh, you're now trying to define the meaning of sarcasm. Here it is (from varying sources):

    the use of remarks which clearly mean the opposite of what they say, and which are made in order to hurt someone's feelings or to criticize something in a humorous way
    1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
    2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or
    ridicule.
    A tongue of which the user speaks of something the complete opposite of what the user means. It often has the best comedic value.

    the b_arstard stepchild of irony

    Your body's natural defense against stupid.

    A word that gives you the possibility to play with your imagination when asked stupid questions.

    A very British form of humour which derives laughs from saying something while really meaning something else. Often (though not always, contrary to popular belief) used in scathing remarks.
    I think most fits what I said. Oddly, none of the references had:

    Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #114


    Posts : 138
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Oh, you're now trying to define the meaning of sarcasm. Here it is (from varying sources):

    the use of remarks which clearly mean the opposite of what they say, and which are made in order to hurt someone's feelings or to criticize something in a humorous way
    1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
    2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or
    ridicule.
    A tongue of which the user speaks of something the complete opposite of what the user means. It often has the best comedic value.

    the b_arstard stepchild of irony

    Your body's natural defense against stupid.

    A word that gives you the possibility to play with your imagination when asked stupid questions.

    A very British form of humour which derives laughs from saying something while really meaning something else. Often (though not always, contrary to popular belief) used in scathing remarks.
    I think most fits what I said. Oddly, none of the references had:

    Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
    Sigh. Do you make a habit of badgering people? Great way to interact with a new poster.

    Anyway, I'll play your childish game. Found these in 2 minutes:
    http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/18/tablet-sales-will-surpass-pc-sales-by-late-2012-or-early-2013/
    http://www.firstpost.com/tech/microsoft-defends-pc-ecosystem-with-2-bn-loan-to-dell-615646.html
    http://www.fierceenterprisecommunications.com/press-releases/gartner-says-pc-market-western-europe-declined-117-percent-fourth-quarter-2
    http://www.benzinga.com/trading-ideas/13/02/3327017/pc-era-continues-to-fade

    And:
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/sarcasm

    There. Well done, you got me to play at your level.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #115


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    I watched two of them on YouTube:

    Apple - iPad - TV Ad - Together - YouTube

    Apple - iPad - TV Ad - Alive - YouTube

    A small difference between those and the Microsoft ads.
    Thinking about this (as I just saw one of those ipad commercials just now) if one were to watch that commercial next to one of the Surface commercials, what grabs your attention and holds it more? A white background with a crowd yelling a random adjective and seeing random snippets of some apps versus a large crowd of people break dancing and tossing and clicking touch covers together and in the case of the Pro, tapping, typing, and writing with the stylus?

    A normal subject would probably be more intrigued by the break dancing than anything...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #116


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by sashlon View Post
    Sigh. Do you make a habit of badgering people? Great way to interact with a new poster.
    If this was an Australian forum, where we tend to be somewhat forthright, you would never have posted that statement, well aware that you would be crucified. And, as a 'new' poster, you appear to be well prepared to take on that which you decry. We are so innocent and nave, are we not?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #117


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Thinking about this (as I just saw one of those ipad commercials just now) if one were to watch that commercial next to one of the Surface commercials, what grabs your attention and holds it more? A white background with a crowd yelling a random adjective and seeing random snippets of some apps versus a large crowd of people break dancing and tossing and clicking touch covers together and in the case of the Pro, tapping, typing, and writing with the stylus?

    A normal subject would probably be more intrigued by the break dancing than anything...
    As much as I don't like Apple, the ads were simple, clear, to the point, aimed at the 'everyman' and quite engaging.

    I'm half expecting Microsoft to bring in 50c or some other rap/hip hop artist (I use the term artist very loosely) to engage with what they see the common man (or woman).

    I think your and my definition of 'normal' subject differs wildly.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #118


    Tropical Island Pair a Dice
    Posts : 3,030
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64


    Quote Originally Posted by sashlon View Post
    I don't think Microsoft made a mistake at all.

    The PC market has been declining for years. That's not going to change. People's computing needs are changing. The tablet and the smartphone are here to stay wether you like it or not. Sure, they could bury their heads in the sand and pretend that nothing has changed, and be dead in a few years.

    Windows 8 is here. It is what it is. It's exactly how they intended to release it. The reasons behind the metro/desktop combo are pretty obvious really. People lament about it being 'confusing' or 'unproductive'. I figured windows 8 out in a few days back when the Release Preview came out. Its really not that hard. Also, it is as productive as you make it.

    Microsoft is trying to build a platform with PCs, tablets and smartphones that is as unified as possible. That's why Windows 8 is the same on a laptop as it is on a tablet, with or without touch. Apple and Google have been doing this for years. Microsoft's first real effort to match them is the windows 8/RT/phone platform, and they've done a great job. My wife has an iPad 3, I have a Nexus 7 and a Surface RT. The Surface RT smokes the other two in web browsing speed, productivity, battery life and general speed. The only area its lacking in is apps. Those will come.

    Windows 8 on a computer is great. I have never enjoyed an OS so much. You can make it whatever you want. Want a Start Button? Easily done. Want to skip the Metro interface? Easily done. Want to unify the two interfaces? Easily done. Its highly customizable.

    People are often afraid or unsettled by change. If you don't like windows 8, then don't suffer needlessly. Use windows 7. It does still work after all. I think Microsoft have done great with it though. I'm looking forward to the future. I want to see what 'Blue' will bring, and I'm itching to buy a new computer in July, so I can trick it out, just the way I want it.
    Well said, they have to stay relevant or get left behind, W8 is a step in that direction. They will improve it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #119


    Quote Originally Posted by sashlon View Post
    Sigh. Do you make a habit of badgering people?
    G'day "pot"!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #120


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    Quote Originally Posted by DMHolt57 View Post
    Just for funsies, let's trash BeOS for awhile today...

    Geez, I thought I was the only one who'd ever heard of it.
    Good one!... :-)
    (I actually have a copy, somewhere).
    Wenda.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
There is no Plan B
Related Threads
Power Plan Affecting WiFI? in Performance & Maintenance
I was on a balanced power plan on my laptop while streaming on Netflix from my xbox. I couldn't get on any site on the laptop but I was able to use my iphone. On a hunch I switched to high performance and it works. Not sure if there is a relationship between power and the wifi on my laptop.
Solved how to remove entry's in win 8.1 power plan in Performance & Maintenance
Hi so is there any way to remove old not needed advanced entries in the windows 8.1 power plan settings. here is a picture of what i'm talking about. highlighted in red is what i don't need anymore any way to remove it?. 51352
Verizon's diabolical plan to turn the Web into pay-per-view | The Industry Standard - InfoWorld
Here is the whole story hope some one at M$ listens. A Windows 8 rebuild plan for Microsoft | ZDNet
What Power Plan do you use? in Performance & Maintenance
As title suggests, what power plan do you normally use on Windows 8? Do you switch between power plans depending on the situation at hand? I run Balanced most of the time, since my AMD CPU has Cool'N'Quiet technology, then switch over to High Performance when gaming.
Is there a plan B.? in General Support
Hi all, what happens if MS dont call there next OS Windows 8.:eek:
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook