Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Microsoft's 128GB Surface Pro sells out within hours

  1. #71


    DeLand, FL
    Posts : 380
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    There's no iPad or Android tablet in the same league as a Surface Pro'.
    True but the Surface Pro isn't in the same league as an iPad.

    The iPad isn't always used for the same thing as the Surface Pro is intended for. The Surface is intended as a hybrid tablet/PC. On the tablet side it's going to be a long time before the Surface Pro can match the iPad in terms of infrastructure and app availability. Trying to compare a Surface Pro to an iPad (or Android tablet for that matter) really isn't a fair comparison. I think the demographic is different for the two devices.

    I don't see anything (or, didn't ... I'm not on Win8 anymore) in the Windows App store that can touch certain iPad programs I have like "ForeFlight" (a pilots charting & navigation program). With my iPad, paper charts and approach plates have been rendered obsolete. Most of the Win8 "store" apps are far more basic than that. It's going to be awhile before companies producing top-flight programs like that come up to speed on Metro versions of those types of applications, if it happens at all. Personally I wouldn't want a Surface Pro in the cockpit with me; it doesn't have the battery life or the ease-of-use that my iPad3 has and, as much as I love Windows, I would not want a BSD taking place when I'm trying to navigate with a chart. The iPad is extremely stable.

    I don't use my laptop and iPad/iPhone for the same things most of the time. Sure there's some overlap between the two but not as much as you would think.

    It will be interesting to see how the Surface fits in. I don't think the cockpit is going to be one of the places it will fit. Maybe in the passenger cabin, but not up front.

    -Max

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #72


    DeLand, FL
    Posts : 380
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post

    I think I get your point, I've got a few tablets and none of them are anything compared to Windows. Your needs and the needs of others are a completely different thing.

    A 128GB iPad by the time its completely decked out will set you back more than a Surface and cant do half as much. There are millions of people ready to hand over more than a thousand dollars for a Surface Pro.

    There's no iPad or Android tablet in the same league as a Surface Pro'.
    I think you are ready for a job in the M$ advertising department. LOL
    I'm just stating a fact, there's simply nothing out there that can compete with Surface. I just wish my tablets would run Windows 8, I'd convert them right now.
    Not me. As I said in a previous post, I love Windows. I've developed for it for many moons - but if I'm going to use a tablet I want it to be completely a tablet O/S, not some hybrid of a desktop and the "Metro" interface. The model just doesn't work for me. I'm not an Apple "fanboy" but dadgum did they ever get the iPad (and iPhone) right, IMHO. Mac? Naah. Not unless I want to completely retool my development tools & methodology - but that's for another discussion.

    -Max
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #73


    DeLand, FL
    Posts : 380
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    I like trying the latest tech too, but unfortunately I gave too many other bills and expenses.

    And as I get older, and the fact that I work with computers everyday for a living, I've actually gotten to the point where I hardly touch them at home except for forum posts, email, and Facebook.
    Heh ... some days I feel like I'm ready for the Old Programmer's Home myself!

    -Max
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #74


    DeLand, FL
    Posts : 380
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    The latest tech? Windows tablets, running Windows 7, have been out for at least two years, yet you've chosen iPads? You just had no genuine love for Windows.
    Sure he does, Ray. I love Windows too but when it came to tablets I chose iPad.

    I don't think I'd ever get involved in heavy iOS development, I've spent most of my career developing to the Microsoft stack. However, I'm departing the upgrade path at Win7, I think. Nothing I'm doing requires 8. At least desktop and web stuff will still run on 8 but I don't have to go there. Kinda like having your cake and eating it too, in a way.

    -Max
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #75


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    I agree with your comments Max, especially with apps. Apple, especially, has consolidated its hold in a lot of professional and non-professional environments, aviation and medicine to name just two. Microsoft has always struggled to get developers on side to produce anything worthwhile. One of the things that I use my tablet for is off-road navigation and none of the major software providers cater for off-road, or on-road navigation on Windows; however, they all support Apple and Android.

    Microsoft can click-clack and play Funky Town all they like, but they really need to separate the funk from the functional.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #76


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    To be fair, Windows 7 kinda sucked in a tablet interface..hence the reason that Windows 8 was changed so much.
    The start menu was what was primarily changed on the Desktop of Windows 8, along with the Ribbon in File Explorer.... It went from a sucky menu to a decent Start Screen, with new apps and different interaction methods as well as more look and tap type UI changes like the Ribbon in File Explorer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #77


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Max Peck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    There's no iPad or Android tablet in the same league as a Surface Pro'.
    True but the Surface Pro isn't in the same league as an iPad.

    The iPad isn't always used for the same thing as the Surface Pro is intended for. The Surface is intended as a hybrid tablet/PC. On the tablet side it's going to be a long time before the Surface Pro can match the iPad in terms of infrastructure and app availability. Trying to compare a Surface Pro to an iPad (or Android tablet for that matter) really isn't a fair comparison. I think the demographic is different for the two devices.

    I don't see anything (or, didn't ... I'm not on Win8 anymore) in the Windows App store that can touch certain iPad programs I have like "ForeFlight" (a pilots charting & navigation program). With my iPad, paper charts and approach plates have been rendered obsolete. Most of the Win8 "store" apps are far more basic than that. It's going to be awhile before companies producing top-flight programs like that come up to speed on Metro versions of those types of applications, if it happens at all. Personally I wouldn't want a Surface Pro in the cockpit with me; it doesn't have the battery life or the ease-of-use that my iPad3 has and, as much as I love Windows, I would not want a BSD taking place when I'm trying to navigate with a chart. The iPad is extremely stable.

    I don't use my laptop and iPad/iPhone for the same things most of the time. Sure there's some overlap between the two but not as much as you would think.

    It will be interesting to see how the Surface fits in. I don't think the cockpit is going to be one of the places it will fit. Maybe in the passenger cabin, but not up front.

    -Max
    I've got 3 iPads, I don't see anything really fantastic about them, they crash more than my Android tablet, Apps crash, Safari used to crash numerous times per day, WiFi dropouts, slowdowns for no reason at all etc. Its not because there's anything wrong with a specific iPad it happens to all 3.

    I believe the main problem with iPads is Apple, they've got the worst software engineers on the planet. Every time they bring out an update something else goes wrong. As far as Apps go, Windows will end up with a lot more than Apple. There are a lot of good apps on the iPad but there's also a lot of rubbish. If Surface and Windows 8 start to take off developers will be jumping over the top of each other trying to get Apps ready.

    I don't mind the iPad, but I don't think I'll be buying anymore Apple stuff in the future, it's not that good.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #78


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Typing in general. Hitting the little x in the corner. Clicking with precision in a spreadsheet. Lack of things like pinch to zoom. I just never found interface too receptive to touch and too small on a tablet. At the end of the day, I hate typing on tablets..at least everyone that I have tried.
    That's why I have a typecover case and a wireless mouse, for when I'm using the tablet as a PC. I wouldn't dream of doing regular desktop work using touch, I wouldn't do it with Windows 8. My tablet allows pinch to zoom using Windows 7, but it's usually the program that dictates whether pinch to zoom works, not the OS.

    As a desktop, Windows 8 offers no benefits over Windows 7, but foists on people the horrible MPI that few desktop users want or need. Windows 8 compromised everything that was good in Windows 7.
    I actually would prefer to interact with the Desktop with touch. From my toying around with DPI settings on Windows 8 and a touchscreen, that makes a WORLD of a difference with touch input. Targets are just sized up a notch, which is all that you really need quite honestly is that DPI change, maybe changing icon size as well but that's dependent on the person.

    Typing with touch on Windows 8 is also what makes it better suited for tablets than 7, that keyboard layout in Windows 8 is honestly the very best touch keyboard on a tablet I've come across to date.

    But, if you have a tablet PC running 7 and end up using it more with a mouse and keyboard than touch.....it sounds like some purpose is defeated, no? Also, Windows 8 is just SO much more better on the Desktop than 7. There is Storage Spaces to take advantage of (if you're running Pro on a tablet, you have data redundancy features, on a TABLET!), Hybrid Boot, a revamped Task Manager, Windows Defender, and just overall improvements that makes using Windows 7 almost like using a rotary dial telephone over a keypad phone.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #79


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    I like trying the latest tech too, but unfortunately I gave too many other bills and expenses.

    And as I get older, and the fact that I work with computers everyday for a living, I've actually gotten to the point where I hardly touch them at home except for forum posts, email, and Facebook.
    That's why I like tablets so much, you don't always need a full blown PC when you're getting older, but there are occasions when you do, which is where the Surface Pro will come in handy, you wont need a desktop anymore. To be perfectly honest I cant wait till the day I don't need a desktop anymore at all.

    But even though I'm getting older I still love tech and new advancements, which is why I'm wrapped in Windows 8 especially for my HTPC's.
    I find trying to work on a tablet sucks ass. I'm in no hurry to get rid of a desktop. Give me a full size keyboard, and large multi monitor support, and ability to swap out hard drives and other components.

    Tablets to me are only incrementally better than working on my smartphone.

    And while I love tech, I don't have any love for Windows 8. It's just such a poor disjointed experience as far as I am concerned. Down the road, I think it will get better, but right now I cannot use it for anything real.
    That's because YOUR thinking of a tablet is the one that apple wants to you think of: low powered, long battery life, and forces you to use different and multiple devices.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #80


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    I agree with your comments Max, especially with apps. Apple, especially, has consolidated its hold in a lot of professional and non-professional environments, aviation and medicine to name just two. Microsoft has always struggled to get developers on side to produce anything worthwhile. One of the things that I use my tablet for is off-road navigation and none of the major software providers cater for off-road, or on-road navigation on Windows; however, they all support Apple and Android.

    Microsoft can click-clack and play Funky Town all they like, but they really need to separate the funk from the functional.
    Gee, I wonder how Microsoft managed to get 92% of the market with nothing worthwhile. Do you realise that Apple once had 16% of the market because of Professionals, they all left because Apple wasn't doing anything for them.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Microsoft's 128GB Surface Pro sells out within hours
Related Threads
Want to install a 128GB SSD in Installation & Setup
I have a Kingston SSDNow V200 128 GB SATA III 6 GB/s 2.5-Inch SSD I was using on my old Dell Precision 370. I now have a new Lenovo IdeaCenter K450 running Windows 8 X64 and I want to install the SSD in it. This is what the drives look like now: 34390 I want to clone the 1st 4 partitions...
Microsoft: Windows 8 Has Logged 60 Billion Hours of Usage I wonder how they came up with that figure?
Microsoft starts taking orders for 128GB Surface Pro, $999 gets one shipped on March 1st
128GB Surface Pro ships with 83GB free, 64GB has only 23GB I think I mentioned earlier, why bother with such a small capacity SSD in the first place and why not allow the option of installing larger capacity hard drives? What's left after installing an Office suite and other programs, such as...
Read more at source: Microsoft Surface Pro to have half the Surface RT's battery life | ZDNet
Read rest of the story here
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook