Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Microsoft's 128GB Surface Pro sells out within hours

  1. #41


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post

    I don't see it being stupid. You have to update Windows, you have to stay on top of security updates, you have to run AV and malware sofware, you run things in a sandbox...yadda, yadda, yadda. Or you can use something else and not bother with any of this stuff. I can see that as very advantageous for lots of people.
    In this case I'm talking about a PC environment where you do real work, not where you just look at facebook or play the latest fart apps. All of my PC security works automatically, I don't need to intervene at all. IE10 is configured such that I don't get any crap and that's it. Where is the effort that people always seem to be going on about?
    People look at porn and download illegal torrented software and riddle their machines with problems. I've had to clean a many one up and it's a real mess when it happens.
    This is why we use internet filters along with Group Policy measures and admin/standard account controls to prevent unauthorized software installations.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #42


    Posts : 835
    Win 8.1 Pro


    WHS,

    yet, when referring to the Tablet, a portable device, you can not compare it to a desktop, non-portable device.
    Sure, you can get some decent deals And that 8300 is a decent deal, you can not get that now from dell, I just looked.
    Unless it's in the refurb outlet store, which I did not look at.

    But again, that is comparing crackers to shark bite. Just doesn't work.

    However, the statement was, 2 PC's and a Laptop for $1500.
    For quality systems, that can not be done. Maybe it was a flippant remark, however, it's not a factual one in any since of the word.
    Heck, I CAN build $199 PC's but they aren't going run worth a crap.

    And if we are to be honest, the Surface Pro is an UltraBook Tablet. Compare it to that, cause that is what it is.
    Stating anything different is a flat out lie.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #43



    I am Woman! Hear Me Roar!
    NJ
    Posts : 1,116
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robinb9 View Post
    I am curious also, do you beat them to follow your instructions? <g> because I give instructions and put security on all my clients computers but some just ignore anything I say or do, then they come crying to me that their computer is now acting like a monster.
    I have had one that when Avast popped up and told them that there was an infection and asked them what to do they picked ignore it instead of quarantine it, because this particular game they went to was a favorite of all their friends.
    This game put on more spyware onto their computer it took me hours to remove it all
    No, you simply explain to them what they have not done and what they have done wrong, to the best of their understanding. I then tell them what I'm doing to fix the issues. As I said, none of them have had problems thereafter. My wife plays on-line games on her laptop (Vista), which I've also setup and so far she hasn't had any issues.

    Considering that you have 'clients', then it's all money in the bank when they don't listen to you.


    true, but I would like them occasionally listen to the things I say
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #44


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Tepid,

    I do not disagree. Tablets and desktops are two different things. And I can do things with my tablet (32GB Nexus) that I cannot do with my desktop - e.g. navigate. I take the tablet on trips together with my superb Motorola bluetooth keyboard and my Logitech scrollball mouse. And that is good for doing my mail and a few little things. I also watch shows and movies.

    But for any serious work like a PowerPoint presentation or video editing I would not use my tablet - although I have a quad core processor, plenty of storage and programs that can do those tasks. For that kind of stuff, I prefer my XPS8300 and my 22" screen.

    So my point is - $1500 for a tablet is just too much money. I paid $230 plus $59 for the keyboard (the mouse I already had for my laptop). And mine has a battery life of 8 hours (tested) and not 4 hours like the Surface. So where is the extra $1210 value in the Surface.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #45


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Tepid,

    So my point is - $1500 for a tablet is just too much money. I paid $230 plus $59 for the keyboard (the mouse I already had for my laptop). And mine has a battery life of 8 hours (tested) and not 4 hours like the Surface. So where is the extra $1210 value in the Surface.
    Id love to see a Professional pull out a Nexus, keyboard and mouse at a meeting or maybe a train on the way to work.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #46


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Tepid,

    So my point is - $1500 for a tablet is just too much money. I paid $230 plus $59 for the keyboard (the mouse I already had for my laptop). And mine has a battery life of 8 hours (tested) and not 4 hours like the Surface. So where is the extra $1210 value in the Surface.
    Id love to see a Professional pull out a Nexus, keyboard and mouse at a meeting or maybe a train on the way to work.
    For one, I am not a professional any more. And second, the Nexus can be 100% operated with finger touch. The keyboard and mouse are just more convenient for 'stationary' use. I think you are not getting my point.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #47


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    I'd love to see a professional pull out their Surface Pro and start click-clacking and rap dancing on a train on the way to work.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #48


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Tepid,

    So my point is - $1500 for a tablet is just too much money. I paid $230 plus $59 for the keyboard (the mouse I already had for my laptop). And mine has a battery life of 8 hours (tested) and not 4 hours like the Surface. So where is the extra $1210 value in the Surface.
    Id love to see a Professional pull out a Nexus, keyboard and mouse at a meeting or maybe a train on the way to work.
    For one, I am not a professional any more. And second, the Nexus can be 100% operated with finger touch. The keyboard and mouse are just more convenient for 'stationary' use. I think you are not getting my point.
    I think I get your point, I've got a few tablets and none of them are anything compared to Windows. Your needs and the needs of others are a completely different thing.

    A 128GB iPad by the time its completely decked out will set you back more than a Surface and cant do half as much. There are millions of people ready to hand over more than a thousand dollars for a Surface Pro.

    There's no iPad or Android tablet in the same league as a Surface Pro'.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #49


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    I'd love to see a professional pull out their Surface Pro and start click-clacking and rap dancing on a train on the way to work.
    Right on Cue.

    Well at least they'll be able to update Excel while they're doing it, like the guy in the video.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #50


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    I'd love to see a professional pull out their Surface Pro and start click-clacking and rap dancing on a train on the way to work.
    Right on Cue.

    Well at least they'll be able to update Excel while they're doing it, like the guy in the video.
    Anyone who believes that, will believe anything. Oh, wait...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Microsoft's 128GB Surface Pro sells out within hours
Related Threads
Want to install a 128GB SSD in Installation & Setup
I have a Kingston SSDNow V200 128 GB SATA III 6 GB/s 2.5-Inch SSD I was using on my old Dell Precision 370. I now have a new Lenovo IdeaCenter K450 running Windows 8 X64 and I want to install the SSD in it. This is what the drives look like now: 34390 I want to clone the 1st 4 partitions...
Microsoft: Windows 8 Has Logged 60 Billion Hours of Usage I wonder how they came up with that figure?
Microsoft starts taking orders for 128GB Surface Pro, $999 gets one shipped on March 1st
128GB Surface Pro ships with 83GB free, 64GB has only 23GB I think I mentioned earlier, why bother with such a small capacity SSD in the first place and why not allow the option of installing larger capacity hard drives? What's left after installing an Office suite and other programs, such as...
Read more at source: Microsoft Surface Pro to have half the Surface RT's battery life | ZDNet
Read rest of the story here
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook