Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Microsoft's 128GB Surface Pro sells out within hours

  1. #111


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Photoshop and Autocad on an 11 inch tablet sounds a real joy.
    It actually does.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #112


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    If you ask me right now, why there is hesitation all around against tablet PCs is simply because...........

    This hasn't been done in the mainstream before. This is an old idea that has been reinvigorated in a time where the idea of a tablet is a neutered smartphone OS on a 10 inch screen that does simple tasks. Keyword here, SIMPLE TASKS. Ask anyone who hates the idea of a tablet what they consider a tablet does, SIMPLE TASKS. A the term PC to tablet, tablet PC, it ends up doing EVERTYHING that a phablet does and what a PC does.

    In the case of the Surface Pro, it's either a sucky laptop, sucky tablet, great ultrabook, awesome tablet, iffy device replacement, or all of the above. It's being interpreted by so many different people with different interpretations of what a form factor like that should do.

    Better yet, anyone here would probably choose a netbook over an android or ipad. Why? It costs less, it runs Windows software on a Desktop. Add a touch screen to the netbook, all of a sudden it becomes this awful monstrosity. Why is that?

    And pparks, yes, I am different. I approach new technology not with hesitation because it's different, I approach new technology as a new opportunities to get to point A to point B better and faster. That's what Windows 8 has been for me, point A to point B faster and easier, ESPECIALLY with a Microsoft Touch Mouse. I don't believe Windows 8 took anything away from 7, things were just added. Some have seen this as preposterous as they firmly believe EVERYTHING was taken away from Windows 8 over 7. But that's them. That's not who I'd be particularly concerned about at all. The people I'd be concerned about using Windows 8 are the young, the ones who are more OPEN to new changes versus the older who are dead set in certain ways, like a desktop tower and mouse and Ethernet cabling; not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just that young people are the reason why that's not the norm anymore, laptops with touchpads and even touchscreens are the norm along with wifi. They're the reason why phablets are being used over laptops. That's just change. Windows 8 is change. At this point, I could really care less what the more older Windows user thinks about Windows 8 simply because different times dictate different things will be adopted, and right now, the young and young at heart care more for Windows 8 oddly enough, than some people here on this forum.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #113


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    There's a reason why the resolution was bumped up for the first time in six years: too low of resolution and too small screen size can cause issues with certain Desktop software. Some programs that don't resize the window and display in one window size won't actually fit in the screen. This was a problem I saw with netbooks and that screen resolution, a program I once had installed and usually they're utilities than anything, the Taskbar hides certain pieces of the program's window, so the user experience suffers, and the UI suffers some. Also, standards need to be improved. Just because YOUR tablet PC doesn't meet the proper resolution isn't cause to make industry standard for a software to change just for you.

    And there is a reason why the clicky clacky keyboard doesn't come as standard equipment with a base Surface tablet.

    And no, every person that uses Windows that actually KNOWS how to use it will use those features. Task Manager is one that will be used more often, as Action Center notifies you of start up programs that causes long boot times, which will open Task Manager. People that don't buy or install an anti-virus program benefits from Windows Defender after the first boot up of their PC. People that shut down their PC daily and boot up daily benefits from Hybrid Boot even if they don't know what it is, if it's faster it's better.
    I've never had any software that hasn't scaled to the native resolution of the screen, ever! Why is it that Office, Photoshop and every other program on my tablet, my 9" screen notebook, my 23" desktop screen and my other devices all display correctly? The only software that displays but won't work, is the Windows 8 MPI, everything else works fine. Your argument is rubbish.

    And who said anything about the keyboard coming standard or not? It wasn't me. I was saying that if a keyboard wasn't important, Microsoft would not have made one. I believe that a keyboard with a tablet is important, that's why I have one for my tablet.

    And, as I've said repeatedly, there is nothing wrong with the underlying OS and the features that have been available in Windows 7 and improved upon in Windows 8. The problem is with the MPI.

    Why are you accusing me of, and then debating, things that I haven't said?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #114


    Posts : 228
    Black Label 7x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    The people I'd be concerned about using Windows 8 are the young, the ones who are more OPEN to new changes versus the older who are dead set in certain ways, like a desktop tower and mouse and Ethernet cabling;

    Great irony here because you have not changed your POV on this since - ever. People have told you over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over specifically why they don't like Windows 8 and it ain't because of some generic change. You can't grasp it. Not everyone thinks like you, not everyone works like you. This flies over your head. It's staggering.

    Repeatedly I've said - make everyone communicate in eightforums in a language other than English. Pick any language. From now on Coke, you gotta type in Sumerian cuneiform. It's change! Change is always good no matter what!

    I would guess that 99.999999% of every single Windows 8 hater is a Windows 7 lover. Where did those Windows 7 people come from? Vista/XP or thin air? I'm gonna guess Vista/XP and I'm also gonna guess their overall demand for change didn't come to a screeching halt in the last decade.

    Ethernet cable - I've got FiOS internet. The speed is beyond insane. Theoretically, a 802.11n router can handle my speed. In most real life situations, it cannot. My patience for beyond blazing, 100%-pure wireless internet is thin. I want it yesterday.

    Yet I don't like Windows 8.

    The other month I bought a new subwoofer. It's wired. I hate that it's wired. I wish it were wireless. Many reasons why wireless is not an option, including wireless systems flat-out do not sound as good as wired ones yet. That's unfortunate because, like I said, I want wireless (i.e., change.)

    Yet I don't like Windows 8.

    I've got a quad-core smartphone with a big huge screen.

    Yet I don't like Windows 8.

    I watch almost all movies, watch almost all TV shows, read almost every book, read every newspaper and magazine, listen to all music on my iPod, phone, tablet, laptop or desktop.

    Yet I don't like Windows 8.

    Minor clarification: I like Windows 8 tablets and phones.

    Yet I don't like Windows 8 for desktops.

    I'm telling you, Coke, you aren't as thoughtful about this subject as you think you are.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #115


    UK
    Posts : 177
    Win 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Photoshop and Autocad on an 11 inch tablet sounds a real joy.
    It actually does.
    Sorry I actually spend my time working in Creative Suite, believe me you want a big monitor (three is even better) not a 10 inch tablet. The iPad has Photoshop Touch which is very nice but a 10 inch screen is never going to replace a real work set up.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #116


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Photoshop and Autocad on an 11 inch tablet sounds a real joy.
    It actually does.
    Sorry I actually spend my time working in Creative Suite, believe me you want a big monitor (three is even better) not a 10 inch tablet. The iPad has Photoshop Touch which is very nice but a 10 inch screen is never going to replace a real work set up.
    I don't think a 10" tablet will ever replace a real work setup either, but what if the tab and PC are running the same Apps like Photoshop and you save your work to Skydrive, jump on a plane with your tablet and do some editing while you're on a flight, surely that's got to be a bonus and can easily be done.

    Or if you're writing a novel at home, it's a nice day, you go and sit in a park under a tree and start where you left off, it's all possible with Windows 8 and Surface, or any Windows 8 tablet.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #117


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    You can connect to Skydrive while flying over the Pacific or Atlantic? Mind you, wouldn't it be easier to save the entire file, or set of files, on your tablet/laptop?

    I never realised that you couldn't write a novel on a tablet/laptop running anything less that Windows 8. What is this 'novel' feature that Windows 8 has that the previous versions do not?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #118


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Microsoft starts shipping Surface Pros again, promises more to market 'quickly'

    As such, it's begun dispatching 64GB SKUs to Best Buy, Staples and its own Microsoft Store in the US, with Canada to follow in a few days.
    Microsoft starts shipping Surface Pros again, promises more to market 'quickly'

    Why even bother with the 64GB version? It's like doing everything backwards. First the RT and then the lowest specced versions of the Pro. The Surface should have been available with a 256GB SSD as standard, as these are now so cheap that 64GB is what you have on an SD card.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #119


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    You can connect to Skydrive while flying over the Pacific or Atlantic? Mind you, wouldn't it be easier to save the entire file, or set of files, on your tablet/laptop?

    I never realised that you couldn't write a novel on a tablet/laptop running anything less that Windows 8. What is this 'novel' feature that Windows 8 has that the previous versions do not?
    Well actually you don't have to save stuff to Skydrive once you set it up, it does it automatically, and yes you can use it offline, it's pretty neat actually. You can do most things on all the latest versions of Windows, it's just that Windows 8 is much more connected. I downloaded Office 365 today, the new interface is a bit of a shock, but the Skydrive connection is great.

    The more I use Windows 8, there's just no way I could ever go back to 7.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #120


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Microsoft starts shipping Surface Pros again, promises more to market 'quickly'

    As such, it's begun dispatching 64GB SKUs to Best Buy, Staples and its own Microsoft Store in the US, with Canada to follow in a few days.
    Microsoft starts shipping Surface Pros again, promises more to market 'quickly'

    Why even bother with the 64GB version? It's like doing everything backwards. First the RT and then the lowest specced versions of the Pro. The Surface should have been available with a 256GB SSD as standard, as these are now so cheap that 64GB is what you have on an SD card.
    I hate to keep saying this Ray, but tell Apple and Google as well. If MS brought out a 256GB version for a couple of hundred dollars more, imagine what the hordes would have done then.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Microsoft's 128GB Surface Pro sells out within hours
Related Threads
Want to install a 128GB SSD in Installation & Setup
I have a Kingston SSDNow V200 128 GB SATA III 6 GB/s 2.5-Inch SSD I was using on my old Dell Precision 370. I now have a new Lenovo IdeaCenter K450 running Windows 8 X64 and I want to install the SSD in it. This is what the drives look like now: 34390 I want to clone the 1st 4 partitions...
Microsoft: Windows 8 Has Logged 60 Billion Hours of Usage I wonder how they came up with that figure?
Microsoft starts taking orders for 128GB Surface Pro, $999 gets one shipped on March 1st
128GB Surface Pro ships with 83GB free, 64GB has only 23GB I think I mentioned earlier, why bother with such a small capacity SSD in the first place and why not allow the option of installing larger capacity hard drives? What's left after installing an Office suite and other programs, such as...
Read more at source: Microsoft Surface Pro to have half the Surface RT's battery life | ZDNet
Read rest of the story here
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook