Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Microsoft's 'Blue' not just for Windows

  1. #31


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Coke, I don't think that they are doing the blue stuff following your logic.

    The main reason is probably financial - they need a more regular cash flow and not the dramatic ups and downs inherent in the current release patterns. They will charge extra for every blue layer - smaller amounts than for a full new version, but on a constant regular basis. That way they get their maintenance financed and we don't have to dish out a big amount each time - but in sum, it will probably be more than in the past.

    Hi there
    it's called that awful word "Monetisation".

    Office 365 is merely the first in this type of service, next XBOX , finally the OS itself -- a basic free version but then to access anything useful you have to PAY - probably what seems a trivial amount at first - then they will gradually ratchet up the price - especially as people become more dependent on it.

    Thank goodness the web has expanded in the way it has -- otherwise we'd already be paying subscriptions to access most web sites -- but as a lot of online publications are finding out that model is HUGELY unpopular.

    Once Ms go down the pay for this - pay for that by subscription then as the saying goes "I'm outta here". I don't mind buying my copy of OS / Office or anything else - but I'm certainly not signing up to subscription services -- which all add up almost unnoticeably until you suddenly find "Why am I paying nearly 1000 USD a month for all sorts of stuff I perhaps only want to use once in 6 months.

    Dreadful business model --might look good for some stupid CEO's but almost universally loathed by consumers.

    Time to get out those old Linux manuals again I think !!!!!

    Cheers
    jimbo

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    As I pointed out earlier, if Microsoft is even pondering going that course of action, then the device manufacturers will be looking at alternatives. I think that they are doing that regardless. Balmer has already sent a message to manufacturers that says Microsoft doesn't need them, has blamed them for lack of devices and poor sales of Window 8. It'll be interesting how that pans out.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Yeah once I have to pay for my, Electricity, Gas, Phone Bills, Broadband, Car Payments, Mortgage, Foxtel and mobile data plan every month, I'm outa here.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    Jimbo45 wrote: - "Once Ms go down the pay for this - pay for that by subscription then as the saying goes "I'm outta here". I don't mind buying my copy of OS / Office or anything else - but I'm certainly not signing up to subscription services".

    Well, don't stop too suddenly, mate, or I'm likely to run right up your jacksi, as I won't be far behind you.

    I'm all for the 'pay once - use forever' model of software purchase, and that's the way I'll be continuing. If MS monetise Windows beyond what I'm prepared to pay, well, there's always some form of Linux (I have several: Ubuntu; XandrOS, Puppy), and there's no shortage of good freeware and shareware programs out there, for both Windows and Linux.

    I don't see Apple products as an option, I have owned an iMac and it was fine for what it was. But I found their 'walled garden' approach to be way too restrictive.

    In fact, with the number of OSes and their associated programs that I currently own, I could probably go offline permanently tomorrow, never buy any software ever again, and what I have would probably see me to the grave. But I'd rather not have to do that.

    The saddest thing is that, after overcoming some initial issues, I really do like Windows 8. Just not the direction it's headed.

    Wenda.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    Jimbo45 wrote: - "Once Ms go down the pay for this - pay for that by subscription then as the saying goes "I'm outta here". I don't mind buying my copy of OS / Office or anything else - but I'm certainly not signing up to subscription services".

    Well, don't stop too suddenly, mate, or I'm likely to run right up your jacksi, as I won't be far behind you.
    I'm all for the 'pay once - use forever' model of software purchase, and that's the way I'll be continuing. If MS monetise Windows beyond what I'm prepared to pay, well, there's always some form of Linux (I have several: Ubuntu; XandrOS, Puppy), and there's no shortage of good freeware and shareware programs out there, for both Windows and Linux.
    I don't see Apple products as an option, I have owned an iMac and it was fine for what it was. But I found their 'walled garden' approach to be way too restrictive.
    In fact, with the number of OSes and their associated programs that I currently own, I could probably go offline permanently tomorrow, never buy any software ever again, and what I have would probably see me to the grave. But I'd rather not have to do that.
    The saddest thing is that, after overcoming some initial issues, I really do like Windows 8. Just not the direction it's headed.
    Wenda.
    I think we're all jumping the gun here a bit about this pay as you go. I know it's probably the way MS is headed but we don't know anything about pricing yet. Don't forget Windows and associated programmes are some of the most pirated programmes on the planet, this subscription scheme would be beneficial to MS, but also to us, as piracy will go down, hopefully.

    I've already said that prices in the store are comparable to over 20 years ago, which can be attributed to cutting out the middle man and piracy. With a bit of luck this will be a win for us the consumer, but then I'm a bit of a dreamer.

    I just hope developers don't get too greedy, otherwise I'll be outa here too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Trust Bill, he knows more about Microsoft's business that anyone here, apart from a few others. If Bill says that Microsoft isn't out to make you 'pay as you go' just yet, he's good for it. Bill also recommends that you buy a Surface, or two, or three, or...recommend it to your friends, relatives, workmates, buy a few as presents, they'll love you for it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    Jimbo45 wrote: - "Once Ms go down the pay for this - pay for that by subscription then as the saying goes "I'm outta here". I don't mind buying my copy of OS / Office or anything else - but I'm certainly not signing up to subscription services".

    Well, don't stop too suddenly, mate, or I'm likely to run right up your jacksi, as I won't be far behind you.
    I'm all for the 'pay once - use forever' model of software purchase, and that's the way I'll be continuing. If MS monetise Windows beyond what I'm prepared to pay, well, there's always some form of Linux (I have several: Ubuntu; XandrOS, Puppy), and there's no shortage of good freeware and shareware programs out there, for both Windows and Linux.
    I don't see Apple products as an option, I have owned an iMac and it was fine for what it was. But I found their 'walled garden' approach to be way too restrictive.
    In fact, with the number of OSes and their associated programs that I currently own, I could probably go offline permanently tomorrow, never buy any software ever again, and what I have would probably see me to the grave. But I'd rather not have to do that.
    The saddest thing is that, after overcoming some initial issues, I really do like Windows 8. Just not the direction it's headed.
    Wenda.
    I think we're all jumping the gun here a bit about this pay as you go. I know it's probably the way MS is headed but we don't know anything about pricing yet. Don't forget Windows and associated programmes are some of the most pirated programmes on the planet, this subscription scheme would be beneficial to MS, but also to us, as piracy will go down, hopefully.

    I've already said that prices in the store are comparable to over 20 years ago, which can be attributed to cutting out the middle man and piracy. With a bit of luck this will be a win for us the consumer, but then I'm a bit of a dreamer.

    I just hope developers don't get too greedy, otherwise I'll be outa here too.
    Hi there
    tend to disagree totally.

    In NO way is a subscription service beneficial to most consumers compared to what we have NOW -- i.e purchase Windows / Office / Photoshop etc and it's good FOREVER or until you get fed up with it and buy the next version on offer -- but YOUR CHOICE.

    Why on earth would anybody even THINK of starting up this type of service unless it increased (or they thought it would) their revenue stream.

    Assuming we could get W8 for around 120 USD one off price ---- that seems to be a typical average price that people are paying -- there's still a load of "cheapies" out there as well and the rest get W8 pre-installed with their computer.

    So that's 10 USD a month -- and after two years you've paid DOUBLE to say nothing of possible payments for "Upgrades" i.e "Service packs" which will sneakily come in the guise of new releases such as Windows 8.51 or whatever.

    The chances are anyway the minimum subscription would be at least 20 USD a month -- and at that price it starts getting seriously expensive for individuals.

    This is a model I have no hesitation in saying for an INDIVIDUAL --STAY AWAY. For businesses it could make sense as this type of expense can be deferred against taxes -- but even here this is not really a future business model as companies implement the "Bring your Own device" more and more.

    And to those who say we don't know anything about Ms's pricing -- well here's a start.

    (This is just a start - prices will surely rise too : Office 365 basic pricing is 99 USD a year -- small business is 149 USD a year) -- now OK Office 365 allows install on 5 machines for one home subscription -- but how many people at home need 5 copies of office.

    That's also the price BEFORE any taxes are added on -- sales / service / VAT or whatever. You can 100% be sure that governments won't allow Ms to deliver these services tax free. So add on say another 20 USD a year for tax -- up and up it goes. - Well I'm OFF that particular treadmill and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

    Then what happens if Ms introduce say Windows 365 -- will it also be similarly priced or cost more. Not difficult to see how pockets will get really squeezed.

    BTW You can still get the very capable Office 2007 student and teacher edition for around 35 USD in some places.

    Finally I can only say that if a subscription model is introduced -- in no way will Piracy go down --this is an EXTRA challenge I'm sure to people indulging in that type of activity so expect to see many more copies of THIS version around rather than fewer.


    Cheers
    jimbo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pirate.png  
    Last edited by jimbo45; 10 Feb 2013 at 06:03.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    You've sort of jumped from $10 to $20 a month Jimbo, that's a bit of a leap and looks a bit unreal to me. Like I said, lets wait and see before we say the Sky is Falling.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    You've sort of jumped from $10 to $20 a month Jimbo, that's a bit of a leap and looks a bit unreal to me. Like I said, lets wait and see before we say the Sky is Falling.
    Hi there
    Monthly cost :

    10 USD for Windows 365 (Guestimate), 8.50 USD for Office 365 basic -- Ms'es ACTUAL pricing so that's as near as matters to the 20 USD.
    I'm sure a huge majority of Windows users have Office in some form on their machines either for use at home or work or both.

    (Both Excluding any taxes). After taxes if this type of pricing is maintained will surely be over 20 USD.

    If you look at RETAIL costs of Windows compared with RETAIL costs of Office (basic editions - not the full blown enterprise versions) you'll see that Office / Windows pricings are roughly the same -- what did W7 Ultimate full retail cost at the time -- wasn't cheap from what I remember - especially if it wasn't an upgrade. So I think my "Guestimate" of a "Windows 365" would be fairly near the mark.

    In fact the Windows subscription may be significantly higher than the office one and finally - most finance depts. of large corporations don't want to deal with loads of separate tiny payments of a few dollars a month flooding their "Accounts Receivable" systems.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Trust Bill, he knows more about Microsoft's business that anyone here, apart from a few others. If Bill says that Microsoft isn't out to make you 'pay as you go' just yet, he's good for it. Bill also recommends that you buy a Surface, or two, or three, or...recommend it to your friends, relatives, workmates, buy a few as presents, they'll love you for it.
    Come on Ray these are all your words, I haven't told anyone to do anything. All I've ever said is that I like Windows 8 and I can see the sense in what Microsoft is doing as far as developing a single ecosystem goes. You obviously have other ideas which I don't agree with, simply because I can see disaster in that direction.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Microsoft's 'Blue' not just for Windows
Related Threads
Read more at: Could Windows Phone Blue be Microsoft's next tablet OS? | ZDNet and http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/windows-phone-81-rumors-emerge
Windows 'Blue': Microsoft blows it | Microsoft windows - InfoWorld
Microsoft gives timetable for Windows 'Blue' servers | Microsoft - CNET News
Microsoft's mea culpa? Five things that Windows Blue should do Microsoft's mea culpa? Five things that Windows Blue should do | ZDNet
With Windows Blue, Microsoft may (finally) do the right thing With Windows Blue, Microsoft may (finally) do the right thing | ZDNet
Read more at source: Microsoft job post gives more info about 'Windows Blue' | Microsoft - CNET News
Read more at: Microsoft's 'Blue' wave is coming to more than just Windows | ZDNet (Apologies that I don't seem to be able to post this in the 'News' section.)
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook