Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Microsoft Surface Pro review

  1. #1


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64

    Microsoft Surface Pro review


    It's a compelling proposition: all the power and application compatibility of a laptop running a proper desktop operating system, all the portability and convenience of a tablet, all mixed together in one package. That's the core idea behind Microsoft's Surface tablets but, as we saw with the Surface for Windows RT a few months ago, its ARM-based nature resulted in some substantial drawbacks. Namely: app selection.

    Running Windows is all well and good, but when you're running the RT flavor, which strips compatibility with the entire, massive and still-swelling catalog of Windows applications, you're left with a desktop-class operating system completely bereft of any desktop apps. Welcome, then, to the Surface for Windows Pro, which promises all the niceties of the Surface RT -- compelling design, build quality, performance -- with full support for x86 Windows applications. (That is: every single Windows app released before the end of last year.) And, adding a 1080p display to the mix doesn't hurt. So, then, is this perfection in a single 10-inch, $899 device? Let's find out.


    Read more at source:
    Microsoft Surface Pro review
    Last edited by Brink; 05 Feb 2013 at 21:46. Reason: fixed format to meet news posting guidelines

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Another review:

    Microsoft Surface Pro Review: Too Much Future? | Gizmodo Australia

    And it actually touches on an issue that I've raised previously, albeit in a different but relevant context, and that is the screen resolution. There is clearly a disconnect between touch and other means of using the tablet, especially as screen resolution increases.

    On my tablet, the screen resolution needs to be artificially increased so that the apps work, even though the icons look perfect at the native resolution. On the other hand, that artificial resolution increase then kills the desktop clarity. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Considering this tablet is a full computer on the go, and the pricing falls between a poorly made iPhone 5 and a 128GB fat iPod, it's got be reasonably close to perfection, certainly closer than the iPad at $1000.


    Oh sorry Ray, you see the glass half empty, I see it half full.
    Last edited by BillWindows; 06 Feb 2013 at 01:18.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Those are good reviews. MS have made a pretty decent fist of this thing.

    Observant comment here:

    The Surface Pro is ultimately the best answer to questions a lot of people havenít bothered asking yet
    Yet? Not clear to me if MS are chasing something that isn't there.

    Is there a big market for something that attempts to straddle both camps adequately?

    Perhaps.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Those are good reviews. MS have made a pretty decent fist of this thing.

    Observant comment here:

    The Surface Pro is ultimately the best answer to questions a lot of people havenít bothered asking yet
    Yet? Not clear to me if MS are chasing something that isn't there.

    Is there a big market for something that attempts to straddle both camps adequately?

    Perhaps.
    Steve Jobs was famous for making products nobody had asked for, besides if you hang around on forums like I do, there seems to be a huge pent-up demand for the Surface Pro.

    Is everybody going out to buy one, I doubt it, but it should be good enough for millions of people. I even hope the Surface RT makes it, because I see that as more of the future.

    Besides the Surface there are also going to be a lot more Windows 8 devices coming out, so interesting to see what comes up.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Yes, it will be interesting.

    There probably is some kind of market for it - but how big is it?

    Are a lot of people prepared to pay - either in money or functionality - so it carries the other o/s as well. Or would they rather get something that is optimised for either a desktop style, or a tablet.

    They may well take the other thrown in at no penalty - but that is a different question.

    I don't know the answer - MS might be onto something. We shall see.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Yes, it will be interesting.

    There probably is some kind of market for it - but how big is it?

    Are a lot of people prepared to pay - either in money or functionality - so it carries the other o/s as well. Or would they rather get something that is optimised for either a desktop style, or a tablet.

    They may well take the other thrown in at no penalty - but that is a different question.

    I don't know the answer - MS might be onto something. We shall see.
    One thing is for certain, Microsoft is unchaining the desktop, and I wouldn't exactly say this machine is expensive, just a few paltry dollars more than I paid for my first 17" monitor many years ago.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    It's interesting that all I did was mentioned the screen resolution issue and that prompts more negative comment about me as a person. Is that the best that some here can do?

    I have a Fujitsu 9" notebook with a high screen resolution and, as mentioned in one of the reviews, high resolution tends to make desktop programs visually very small. The 1024x600 native resolution of my tablet makes it easy for me to read the screen (with glasses), so the higher the resolution on a small(ish) screen, the more difficult it becomes for me, and likely many others with less than perfect eyesight, to read.

    The insecurity, regarding criticism levelled at some aspects of Windows 8, is palpable. I wonder how many Microsoft employees or relations are members of this forum? If none, then there's a team of unpaid Microsoft Evangelists like never seen before.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    You are missing the point, Bill.

    If people want desktop functionality in a portable device - will they pay extra in money, or in some compromise to use - if they didn't want the tablet stuff in the first place?

    If people want tablet functionality, will they be prepared to pay some sort of penalty for a desktop to be thrown in - again they might have no use for it.

    That is the question.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    It's interesting that all I did was mentioned the screen resolution issue and that prompts more negative comment about me as a person. Is that the best that some here can do?

    I have a Fujitsu 9" notebook with a high screen resolution and, as mentioned in one of the reviews, high resolution tends to make desktop programs visually very small. The 1024x600 native resolution of my tablet makes it easy for me to read the screen (with glasses), so the higher the resolution on a small(ish) screen, the more difficult it becomes for me, and likely many others with less than perfect eyesight, to read.

    The insecurity, regarding criticism levelled at some aspects of Windows 8, is palpable. I wonder how many Microsoft employees or relations are members of this forum? If none, then there's a team of unpaid Microsoft Evangelists like never seen before.
    The problem is Ray, you seem to think that a lot of these things are only Microsoft problems, go out and buy an iPad 2 or iPad Mini, they have the same problems with resolution, yet everyone thinks they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. The iPad Mini is almost unreadable when surfing the net and the iPad 2 isn't worth talking about.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
Microsoft Surface Pro review
Related Threads
Microsoft Surface Pro. in Chillout Room
Well I bought a new Surface Pro about three weeks ago. Just love it, everything I wanted and more. Dog got in front of me today, ended up falling over him and my new Surface Pro ended in pieces all over the floor. Well, I just went out and bought another one and hopefully it won't get broke like...
Read more at: Microsoft 2013 year in review: It was (almost) all about 'Blue' | ZDNet
Surface 2 Review: First Week. in Drivers & Hardware
http://www.flickr.com/photos/moonpussy/10470584025/in/set-72157634976691303http://www.flickr.com/photos/moonpussy/10470584025/http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7359/10470584025_0f536063e8_z.jpg I shall start by saying this purchase was not an impulse buy. Few of my gadgetry purchases are...
My Surface RT review in Drivers & Hardware
So, Iíve had my Surface RT for a couple of weeks and I wanted to lay out mythoughts/impressions about the device. Hopefully itíll be an interesting read. HARDWARE The Surfaceis a beautiful device. Everything aboutthe hardware design and feel speaks volumes about the care, precision and...
Read more at source: Microsoft Surface Pro to have half the Surface RT's battery life | ZDNet
Hi everyone This seems for once a complete (with pics) and unbiased review of the surface RT tablet. Actually from this it looks far far better than I had imagined --and I'm not really a tablet lover either. If the PRO (full std W8 version) is as good even I might be sorely tempted. ...
Read more.. ITC to Review Xbox Ban Recommendation in Microsoft, Motorola Case | PCWorld
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook