Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Low Prices are Driving Rapid Tablet Adoption...

  1. #1


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64

    Low Prices are Driving Rapid Tablet Adoption...


    ...Where Does That Leave Surface?

    "There is no question that Microsoft is in this tablet race to compete for the long haul. However, devices based upon its new Windows 8 and Windows RT operating systems failed to gain much ground during their launch quarter, and reaction to the company's Surface with Windows RT tablet was muted at best," said Ryan Reith, program manager, Mobile Device Trackers at IDC. "We believe that Microsoft and its partners need to quickly adjust to the market realities of smaller screens and lower prices. In the long run, consumers may grow to believe that high-end computing tablets with desktop operating systems are worth a higher premium than other tablets, but until then ASPs on Windows 8 and Windows RT devices need to come down to drive higher volumes."
    Low Prices are Driving Rapid Tablet Adoption, Where Does That Leave Surface? | Maximum PC

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    When did the Surface tablets become the ONLY Windows based tablet PC?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    When did the Surface tablets become the ONLY Windows based tablet PC?
    'We believe that Microsoft and its partners'
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Why does Microsoft have to drop its prices, we don't see Apple dropping prices, as a matter of fact they've just gone up to $1000 for their new iPad.

    I think there has to be a distinction between tools and toys, I mean the latest iPod is over $400 and we're complaining that a computer costs $500 and $800.

    Just to get the facts right the new iPod is $439.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    When did the Surface tablets become the ONLY Windows based tablet PC?
    'We believe that Microsoft and its partners'
    True, but the huge majority of articles and coverage in the media are on the Surface tablets and mention OEMs like HP, Lenovo, and Dell as, "its partners" when "its partners" like Lenovo are basking in Windows 8 glory.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Why does Microsoft have to drop its prices, we don't see Apple dropping prices, as a matter of fact they've just gone up to $1000 for their new iPad.

    I think there has to be a distinction between tools and toys, I mean the latest iPod is over $400 and we're complaining that a computer costs $500 and $800.
    This is SO freaking true!

    The ipad is in essences a 1,000 dollar ipod.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Whilst I don't like Apple, what I've seen of the iPad, it has some pretty good apps available which clearly make it a compelling purchase for a lot of people, even professionals. Windows 8 provides nothing like that. Is there a GPS app, an automotive diagnostics app, and bucket loads of other functional apps? Other than games (?), there is nothing really in the Windows apps store that can't be done on the desktop.

    There are many professionals using the iPad as a tool, not as a toy. And if it is a toy, then that's exactly what Microsoft has produced with its apps/start menu interface and especially Surface RT. Little wonder so few aftermarket manufacturers have produced RT tablets; why try and compete with Apple and Android? Every time someone starts to defend Windows 8, they just dig themselves deeper.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Whilst I don't like Apple, what I've seen of the iPad, it has some pretty good apps available which clearly make it a compelling purchase for a lot of people, even professionals. Windows 8 provides nothing like that. Is there a GPS app, an automotive diagnostics app, and bucket loads of other functional apps? Other than games (?), there is nothing really in the Windows apps store that can't be done on the desktop.

    There are many professionals using the iPad as a tool, not as a toy. And if it is a toy, then that's exactly what Microsoft has produced with its apps/start menu interface and especially Surface RT. Little wonder so few aftermarket manufacturers have produced RT tablets; why try and compete with Apple and Android? Every time someone starts to defend Windows 8, they just dig themselves deeper.
    No, you're not getting the point very well. The ipad is literally a giant ipod touch and has been considered a PC or a PC replacement. Would you call an ipod touch a PC or a PC replacement? I'd doubt it. That's why it's a toy and very little else. Most things that functional and useful are generally like a Swiss Army knife: it's there and you use it often as it's on you, but it pales in compare to a full tool box of that being Windows and the Desktop. That's partly why there is an allure for the Surface Pro over RT, you have that Swiss Army knife like capability while having your tool box right there with you, something ios and android have failed to offer. I'm not going to renovate a bathroom with a Swiss Army knife anytime soon.

    No, there aren't many apps, but then again humanity has a tendency to not remember history. apple's app store opened to a mere handful of apps and it took a while to grow. android was pretty much the same. Windows Phone as well, but compared to android and ios, it has outpaced android's initial growth.

    The most I've seen the ipad being used in a professional sense is as a POS terminal in some small businesses.

    Which reminds me, there was once this Samsung commercial showing off the wireless display connectivity of one of their Galaxy phones and mocking a group of people in a board room asking if someone had a dongle. Now, dongle is used by apple instead of adapter. And I think something that looked like an ipad was used too.... Point being, having to need a small handbag full of third party accessories to make the ipad be something more than a giant ipod touch for old people is both not cost effective and takes too much time to work around simple hardware and software faults of the product. You don't see people using an ipad as a PC with a keyboard in the learning environment. You might, but that person doing so probably failed their economics class.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Whilst I don't like Apple, what I've seen of the iPad, it has some pretty good apps available which clearly make it a compelling purchase for a lot of people, even professionals. Windows 8 provides nothing like that. Is there a GPS app, an automotive diagnostics app, and bucket loads of other functional apps? Other than games (?), there is nothing really in the Windows apps store that can't be done on the desktop.

    There are many professionals using the iPad as a tool, not as a toy. And if it is a toy, then that's exactly what Microsoft has produced with its apps/start menu interface and especially Surface RT. Little wonder so few aftermarket manufacturers have produced RT tablets; why try and compete with Apple and Android? Every time someone starts to defend Windows 8, they just dig themselves deeper.
    Listen Ray, you know nothing about the iPad, even iPad owners rubbish it for its closed ecosystem. Most people don't buy it for its GPS or automotive diagnostic app, they buy it for Angry Birds and other stupid little games for their kids.

    Admittedly it has some very nice Apps, but I'd say they make up about 5% or less of all the Apps. Even Apples own apps haven't got a very good reputation, but you'd have to own an iPad to know that.

    Most people use the iPad for consumption.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Low Prices are Driving Rapid Tablet Adoption...
Related Threads
microsoft-cuts-surface-pro-tablet-prices-by-$100
Big hurdle facing Windows 8 tablet adoption | ZDNet
Read more at source: Hard drive prices - and innovation - decline | ZDNet
Surprised nobody mentioned this, but Apple announced a price drop of $200 on their MacBook Pro laptops.
Windows 8 upgrade prices in Windows 8 News
Wow, $200 for the upgrade to Windows 8 pro. Prices were confirmed...I'm still somewhat skeptical that they won't keep the low priced upgrades around since sales haven't been crazy high...considering the low cost. ...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook