Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


MS alum: Surface is doomed, Win8 is an "assault weapon"

  1. #31


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    we already sucking of the INTERNET'S teats, I can't imagine a world of sitting behind a computer without the Internet anymore, how absolutely frightening.
    I don't get it... my main pc is offline and life is good. When I was connected, ALL the time it gets updates and updates and then.... restarts for updates and then continues to update. That is not a normal daily workflow so yeah offline I'm not bothered by the updates that interrupt you constantly. Of course I have a pc or two connected all the time but those are not my favorites.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    we already sucking of the INTERNET'S teats, I can't imagine a world of sitting behind a computer without the Internet anymore, how absolutely frightening.
    I don't get it... my main pc is offline and life is good. When I was connected, ALL the time it gets updates and updates and then.... restarts for updates and then continues to update. That is not a normal daily workflow so yeah offline I'm not bothered by the updates that interrupt you constantly. Of course I have a pc or two connected all the time but those are not my favorites.

    Hmmm, yes. My Win 7 and Win 8 machines (both laptops) are connected, but my Vista, XP, ME and Win 98SE boxes are not, and are no less useable for it. None of my HDDs have anything but the OSes and programs installed, and my files are all on external drives so can be used by any of my setups. But I do need to get a wireless dongle for the older machines because XP needs to take some updates, and my Vista setup needs its Service Packs.
    Wenda.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post

    ... ME and Win 98SE boxes...
    Wow! You still run those?

    Just like my little brother!

    Well, I have one or two VM's with those but are no boxes anymore in my case.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    I'm a bit of an 'OS Collector and Enthusiast', Hopachi. I have quite a few others as well, which are not installed at present. In fact, yesterday I scored another. An original (not pirated) copy of NT4 still in its original case, with product key. I'll have some fun with it later in a VM, as I've never played with NT before.

    Wenda.



    EDIT: - My little brother is staunchly Win 7, and thinks I'm mad for even bothering with the older OSes. But I used them back in the day, and still like playing about with them. An added advantage is that there is nothing in my software collection (of over 25 years) that I can't run. Oh, except for some progs/files that are on 5.25 floppies. None of my current machines has a B drive.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    I'm a bit of an 'OS Collector and Enthusiast', Hopachi. I have quite a few others as well, which are not installed at present. In fact, yesterday I scored another. An original (not pirated) copy of NT4 still in its original case, with product key. I'll have some fun with it later in a VM, as I've never played with NT before.

    Wenda.



    EDIT: - My little brother is staunchly Win 7, and thinks I'm mad for even bothering with the older OSes. But I used them back in the day, and still like playing about with them. An added advantage is that there is nothing in my software collection (of over 25 years) that I can't run. Oh, except for some progs/files that are on 5.25 floppies. None of my current machines has a B drive.
    Nice, my brother is a collector himself. But he always tries weird combinations like too old OSes (Win ME and Win 98) on newer computers and some tweaks need to be made. He still uses Pentium 3....
    So here I'm the one with newer systems.

    I use VM's (Vmware Player runs them all, even the old ones).

    NT is something I've skipped too. It's not so wide spread like XP for example.
    Couldn't find a CD with it anywhere. You're lucky.

    I tested a OS2 Warp and Win95 in VM's two years ago, nice to see but a bit old to use, especially the first one.

    I still have a B drive somewhere in the Attic. I think it belongs to a pre-pentium 1 machine. Never found any floppies for that one.

    It's nice to see how things evolved so fast during the years regarding computers.

    Hopachi
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    You know it's funny, everyone always complains about ME and Vista and yet I never had any dramas with either. The one that gave me the most problems was Windows 98, if it wasn't freezing up it was BSODS, or within two months I'd have to reinstall everything because it was slowing down.

    I installed Vista on an older PC not long ago, after two days of updates I was amazed how well it ran, I can understand people not letting go of Vista.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    You know it's funny, everyone always complains about ME and Vista and yet I never had any dramas with either. The one that gave me the most problems was Windows 98, if it wasn't freezing up it was BSODS, or within two months I'd have to reinstall everything because it was slowing down.

    I installed Vista on an older PC not long ago, after two days of updates I was amazed how well it ran, I can understand people not letting go of Vista.
    I agree. Used both and Vista still does it's job on my dual core Acer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    I'm a bit of an 'OS Collector and Enthusiast', Hopachi. I have quite a few others as well, which are not installed at present. In fact, yesterday I scored another. An original (not pirated) copy of NT4 still in its original case, with product key. I'll have some fun with it later in a VM, as I've never played with NT before.

    Wenda.



    EDIT: - My little brother is staunchly Win 7, and thinks I'm mad for even bothering with the older OSes. But I used them back in the day, and still like playing about with them. An added advantage is that there is nothing in my software collection (of over 25 years) that I can't run. Oh, except for some progs/files that are on 5.25 floppies. None of my current machines has a B drive.
    My brother's like that he's got just about every OS that's ever been made, I used to be like that, but when I couldn't get into my computer room anymore I got rid of everything. But now it's nearly the same again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
MS alum: Surface is doomed, Win8 is an "assault weapon"
Related Threads
Hi all, So I'm kind of stuck.. I currently have the problem where I am in an endless cycle of "loading files" -> "Windows Boot Manager" (see: How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows 8 (The Easy Way)). I have tried to load all of the options -- and none successfully load. I also end up at...
Hi All, To make a long story short I have a win8 system on a SSD with about 200gb free on the left of the C: partition (left over from previous OS I dual booted). The ssd is gpt partitioned and boots using EFI. I tried moving the partition to the left using Gparted which worked but windows...
Hi guys, what do I do if the refresh install on W8.1 says that I'm missing files? I installed W8 from a retail disc and upgraded to 8.1 via Windows Update. I can't use the W8 disc, it says invalid media. Do I just follow the steps shown on the tutorial here? Thanks.
Hi I started having this BSOD after upgrading to win 8 and it is still persist after upgrade to 8.1. it happens every time I wake the system from sleep. Can someone please help me to pinpoint what triggering it?
Microsoft, it's time to start talking about "Surface v2" | ZDNet
Surface by Microsoft http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpzu3HM2CIo http://www.microsoft.com/global/surface/en/us/publishingimages/new/gallery_1_large.jpg There will be RT and full windows models
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook