Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 to mainstream solid-state drives, says analyst

  1. #11


    England
    Posts : 24
    Windows 8 Pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by headonastick View Post
    In the UK I can buy a 1TB Sata drive for just over 50, whys would I even consider spending an extra 90+ for a 200 GB SSD, the figures just don't add up for me !
    Oh but I don't have a notebook/laptop by the way hate them both with a passion !!!!
    Why, because they make any PC faster, and that's the main aim of Geeks, you know, the type of person that hangs around on these forums.

    I myself have bought 2 in the last 12 months, I find they're big enough now for the OS and a few programmes, photos, music and videos I put onto external drives or just put a second Sata drive in the case.
    Well 1stly allow me to apologise for not being a 'geek', and for using these forums to connect with other people, hell if I knew there was a requirement I wouldn't have bothered ! Aren't you the same guy who criticised people for using useless 3rd party software like Classic Shell (probably written by a geek) ? I think that everyone is entitled to an opinion and use this forum without needing to be labelled, so I will keep my dim views to myself then I don't have to be patronised by you !
    KINDEST REGARDS
    Ricky

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Covington, La
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT


    There a place for that:

    Geeks R Us Forums - Index page

    Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Some more reasons for switching to SSD.

    Whoa. I should have upgraded to an SSD last year | Crave - CNET
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)

    Performance vs Storage


    Quote Originally Posted by headonastick View Post
    In the UK I can buy a 1TB Sata drive for just over 50, whys would I even consider spending an extra 90+ for a 200 GB SSD, the figures just don't add up for me !
    Oh but I don't have a notebook/laptop by the way hate them both with a passion !!!!
    You're not the only one.

    My supplier has 120GB SSDs for ~$100.
    However, they also have 2TB HDDs for ~$100.

    HDDs still have the advantage (for me), since:
    • It's not difficult to chew up huge amounts of storage
    • I have no complaints about PC's performance


    Also, despite claims of a million(?) write cycles, I'm not convinced of their reliability.
    My friend spent $3k on a custom laptop with a 512GB SSD in it.
    He's had it for about 12 - 18 months and his SSD is starting to act up.

    His laptop's reboot times are nice though.

    The choice is (relatively) simple:
    • If you need performance, buy a SSD.
    • If you need storage, buy a HDD.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    That article also raises some further questions regarding its validity.

    Firstly, there's been a declared fall in PC sales, which clearly include laptops, as everyone is saying that tablets and smartphones are taking over. Noting that most tablets (for at least the last year or more) already come with an SSD fitted and most don't have the ability to change the hard drive, so where is this increase in SSD sales actually being generated? The Microsoft Surface Pro hasn't been released, so these can't be included in the supposed increase.

    Secondly, given that some tablets do allow the hard drive to be exchanged, there are not a great many manufacturers that make 7mm, or thinner, SSDs that are able to fit into a tablet. Desktop/laptop users have traditionally been the ones changing and upgrading hard drives and the biggest sales seem to be in the traditional 2.5" form factor SSDs (9.5mm), which desktop and laptop users buy.

    Thirdly, enterprise users have been the most significant group to take up SSD use over the last year or so and continue to do so, as capacities, speed and reliability increase, and costs reduce. So has the increase in SSD sales quoted in the article been somewhat misplaced as to the reason?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    That article also raises some further questions regarding its validity.

    Firstly, there's been a declared fall in PC sales, which clearly include laptops, as everyone is saying that tablets and smartphones are taking over. Noting that most tablets (for at least the last year or more) already come with an SSD fitted and most don't have the ability to change the hard drive, so where is this increase in SSD sales actually being generated? The Microsoft Surface Pro hasn't been released, so these can't be included in the supposed increase.

    Secondly, given that some tablets do allow the hard drive to be exchanged, there are not a great many manufacturers that make 7mm, or thinner, SSDs that are able to fit into a tablet. Desktop/laptop users have traditionally been the ones changing and upgrading hard drives and the biggest sales seem to be in the traditional 2.5" form factor SSDs (9.5mm), which desktop and laptop users buy.

    Thirdly, enterprise users have been the most significant group to take up SSD use over the last year or so and continue to do so, as capacities, speed and reliability increase, and costs reduce. So has the increase in SSD sales quoted in the article been somewhat misplaced as to the reason?
    I think that most of the sales for SSDs have been upgrades for older systems and that has cannibalize the new PC and laptop sales as that upgrade is expensive and you get a much snapper system than what a new box does.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    I think that most of the sales for SSDs have been upgrades for older systems and that has cannibalize the new PC and laptop sales as that upgrade is expensive and you get a much snapper system than what a new box does.
    Indeed, but why let reality spoil wishful thinking.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    It is interesting to see the price discussion for SSDs. I bought my first 60GB SSD 4 years ago - for $259 from Newegg - and I never looked back. My 7th SSD is on the way (128GB for half the money) and should get here tomorrow.

    The SSDs are by far the most cost effective device for boosting your PC's performance. I never buy big SSD - 60, 80, 90 and now 128GBs. The 80 and 90 size are in my laptops. The data I keep on spinners or on sticks in case of the laptops.

    There is really no way to compare GBs versus Dollars. It is a matter of whether you want a Ferrari or a truck.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    It is interesting to see the price discussion for SSDs. I bought my first 60GB SSD 4 years ago - for $259 from Newegg - and I never looked back. My 7th SSD is on the way (128GB for half the money) and should get here tomorrow.

    The SSDs are by far the most cost effective device for boosting your PC's performance. I never buy big SSD - 60, 80, 90 and now 128GBs. The 80 and 90 size are in my laptops. The data I keep on spinners or on sticks in case of the laptops.

    There is really no way to compare GBs versus Dollars. It is a matter of whether you want a Ferrari or a truck.
    Yea clicking on a 4mb PDF file and 0.1 second later you are reading it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Price per GB is still a reasonably valid case, when comparing SSDs to HDDs, but the $/GB difference has fallen dramatically over the last year, with capacities increasing as well. SSDs are now very viable for desktops, for most people, considering the current prices.

    From what I've read, you get the best performance from 256/512GB SSDs, rather than the smaller capacities, something to do with the data caching ability or some such (there's a need for some reserved space). The controller is also important for speed and reliability. But whatever you use, have full backups.

    Also, keeping all of your data separate to the SSD can lose you performance, as you now have to send information back and forth through several stages, so again, a larger SSD can be very useful, for temporary storage for working data.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Windows 8 to mainstream solid-state drives, says analyst
Related Threads
Any idea why my SSD is listed as a 'Hard disk drive' instead of 'Solid state drive' as in your screenshots above? I am running W8 Pro x64 RTM from Technet. In Device Manager my SSD shows as a 'Samsung SSD 830 Series SCSI Disk Device'. I wonder if it's being on a Marvell controller might be the...
Read more at: Samsung mass producing speedier solid-state drives | Business Tech - CNET News
Hi guys. I have a problem: It seems to me that File History will only back-up files from your system *libraries.* In other words: It can't back-up from one external hard drive to another. This is very problematic. For instance: What if your main hard drive happens to be small, as it...
I just bought a Seagate ST750LX003 Momentus XT 750 GB as the new primary drive for my gaming laptop, and I'm wondering how to defrag them, and whether it is safe. I wanted the best of both worlds (space and speed) so I went for the middle ground. What is the difference between a regular HDD, SSHD,...
This release adds support for Microsoft Windows* 8 and Server 2012, Trim on RAID 0 with RST 11.0 or greater, Plug-n-Play support for dynamically detecting drive removal and insertion events, proactive tool update notification for Windows 7 and Windows 8 systems and fixes Intel SSD Optimizer error...
Find out more.. Extend the life of your desktop or notebook with solid state drives | ZDNet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook