Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 uncertainty blamed for decline in PC sales

  1. #151


    Posts : 993
    Windows 8 pro Retail


    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
    So, we tend to put things in one box, and regardless of if they should be categorized differently based on further criteria? Then what.

    as far as getting anyone riled up,
    I am not trying to do anything of the sort, my points are quite clear and concise. I don't generalize in such confined categories and then base my decision on that one category (tablets in this case), There is not one general category, they can not all be looked at the same and then make such broad sweeping statements as, "No one would pay 800+ dollars for a tablet", yes they would if the features are there to warrant it.

    And you know, people have paid $1000 for PS3's and Xbox when they first released, so...... why not?
    Tepid? I believe you are in error of what Ray8 is trying to get across to you. Let me make it simple for you to
    understand. I'll use aspirins in this example: Now lets take a Bayer tablet -vs- a Tylenol tablet. I am sure you know of Tylenols sordid past. BUT that said, Tylenol would be a better choice over a Bayer tablet for the simple reason it does what you want it to do, and unlike Bayer Tablet it won't give you a surprise that would cause you discomfort, in this scenario a upset stomach due to it being an actual aspirin, while Tylenol contains no aspirin, and you won't get an uncomfortable reaction in your stomach. So going by this example Ray8 is a 100% correct in his initial argument. Don't believe it still? Google "Microsoft Internet Appliances".

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #152


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lonewolf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
    So, we tend to put things in one box, and regardless of if they should be categorized differently based on further criteria? Then what.

    as far as getting anyone riled up,
    I am not trying to do anything of the sort, my points are quite clear and concise. I don't generalize in such confined categories and then base my decision on that one category (tablets in this case), There is not one general category, they can not all be looked at the same and then make such broad sweeping statements as, "No one would pay 800+ dollars for a tablet", yes they would if the features are there to warrant it.

    And you know, people have paid $1000 for PS3's and Xbox when they first released, so...... why not?
    Tepid? I believe you are in error of what Ray8 is trying to get across to you. Let me make it simple for you to
    understand. I'll use aspirins in this example: Now lets take a Bayer tablet -vs- a Tylenol tablet. I am sure you know of Tylenols sordid past. BUT that said, Tylenol would be a better choice over a Bayer tablet for the simple reason it does what you want it to do, and unlike Bayer Tablet it won't give you a surprise that would cause you discomfort, in this scenario a upset stomach due to it being an actual aspirin, while Tylenol contains no aspirin, and you won't get an uncomfortable reaction in your stomach. So going by this example Ray8 is a 100% correct in his initial argument. Don't believe it still? Google "Microsoft Internet Appliances".
    What if you take low dose aspirin?...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #153


    Posts : 993
    Windows 8 pro Retail


    LoL CokeRobot then you are asking to JUST go back to DOS?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #154


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Another reason why the Surface Pro and other tablets running Windows 8 are tablets is, if you do nothing to the interface, you ostensibly are confronted with the same interface as you are with Windows RT. Both have the same form-factor, both have attachable keyboards etc. Both have the ability to run Office (of one description or another). From a short distance, you couldn't distinguish an RT tablet from an 8 tablet. Microsoft has clearly stated that they are after the tablet market, Windows RT is one angle of attack and Windows 8 is another.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #155


    Posts : 835
    Win 8.1 Pro


    I am not confused, or wrong.

    You are throwing everything in one box and referring to it as that pile there.

    It's disingenuous.

    You can not have a proper discussion on such narrow definitions and be honest about what you are talking about or options you are getting.a

    And again Ray, I am' sorry, but you are wrong. Just because granny drives a Ferrari at 30MPH doesn't make it an eco car.

    Definition and distinction is a huge factor in all of these discussions.

    A duck is a Duck till you start wanting a specific one. Mallard or Orange Bill? No, neither of those, just a duck.... do you see how futile of an argument that is? Who in their right mind is going to deal with someone like that.

    "Here you go sir, it's a duck," But it's dead, oh, sorry,. all you said was you wanted a duck.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #156


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Another reason why the Surface Pro and other tablets running Windows 8 are tablets is, if you do nothing to the interface, you ostensibly are confronted with the same interface as you are with Windows RT. Both have the same form-factor, both have attachable keyboards etc. Both have the ability to run Office (of one description or another). From a short distance, you couldn't distinguish an RT tablet from an 8 tablet. Microsoft has clearly stated that they are after the tablet market, Windows RT is one angle of attack and Windows 8 is another.
    Both have a price that will not compete with the current market.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #157


    Bay Area
    Posts : 21,836
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64


    Lol, again, they are all tablets, just some are better then others. A Guy
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #158


    Tropical Island Pair a Dice
    Posts : 3,030
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64


    The analogies are not explaining what's trying to be said, IMO, a simple one is the PC, desktop or laptop.
    You can't say no desktop/laptop is worth more than $500.
    If you want or need an i7 CPU, high level discrete graphics, minimum 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD, large screen, etc. you will have to pay more.
    You can buy a desktop/laptop that will surf the internet, run Office, graphics programs, and most other apps for $500, but not as well/fast as a $1,000 desktop/laptop would.
    Some people won't ever notice the difference and therefore only require a $500 desktop/laptop, others just want a faster machine or actually need one.

    Same with a tablet, better specs that will fulfill your wants/needs will cost more and many will pay for the higher performance/abilities.
    Some may find a $500 tablet that does everything they need and consider a $800 tablet a complete waste of money. Which may be true for them and not true for others.
    We all have the choice to spend our money they way we feel is best, it doesn't make anyone else wrong.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #159


    Posts : 993
    Windows 8 pro Retail


    Bravo Dave76 well said.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #160


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
    I am not confused, or wrong.

    You are throwing everything in one box and referring to it as that pile there.

    It's disingenuous.

    You can not have a proper discussion on such narrow definitions and be honest about what you are talking about or options you are getting.a

    And again Ray, I am' sorry, but you are wrong. Just because granny drives a Ferrari at 30MPH doesn't make it an eco car.

    Definition and distinction is a huge factor in all of these discussions.

    A duck is a Duck till you start wanting a specific one. Mallard or Orange Bill? No, neither of those, just a duck.... do you see how futile of an argument that is? Who in their right mind is going to deal with someone like that.

    "Here you go sir, it's a duck," But it's dead, oh, sorry,. all you said was you wanted a duck.
    Hi there
    I think you are totally WRONG about Ferrari's -- an Eco product doesn't have to perform like a wobbly bicycle with square wheels and look as if it's designed by a load of so called "Tree Huggers" who haven't seen a tablet of soap or a tub of hot water for months.

    Ferrari's (and BMW's for that matter) are probably more ECO friendly than a lot of vehicles out there currently. BMW and Ferrari gasoline engines are around the cleanest on the planet at the moment and BOTH these companies are leaders in "Alternative fuels" such as Hydrogen, Biomass, and Clean Methane (although a greenhouse gas it can be burned extremely efficiently and its products of combustion cleaned up relatively simply).

    Penn Researchers and Colleagues Create a Cheaper, Cleaner, More Efficient Catalyst for Burning Methane | Penn News

    Another point about the Ferrari company -- a lot of parts are still made and shaped by HUMANS - and in this day and age where even your local supermarket is getting rid of "Human checkouts" and replacing them with those ghastly self service "scanning devices" Ferrari still employs a lot of HUMAN trade craftsmen - and these days every country needs JOBS.

    I wouldn't pick on Ferrari as part of "The evil empire" even though I could never affords one. Not only the craftsmen are excellent but the numbers Ferrari train too helps the economy -- even though not too many make it into the actual Ferrari factory itself. Those craftsmen who don't get a job with Ferrari itself are highly valued as well and don't have trouble finding other jobs.

    Anyway back to the point : However if a tablet has a load of external ports and a keyboard + mouse / touchpad it's a PC in any way you cut it.

    I think your Duck analogy is better like this

    "If it looks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck and Waddles like a Duck --- Then it's a DUCK".

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Windows 8 uncertainty blamed for decline in PC sales
Related Threads
Source A Guy
Analyst: Windows 8.1 Won?t Stop Microsoft?s Decline
Read more at source: Hard drive prices - and innovation - decline | ZDNet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook