Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8's uptake falls behind Vista's pace

  1. #71


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
    But the problem is,, people equate any and all Tablets to an iPad, period.
    They have no clue or understanding, cause NO ONE explains the real difference.

    Win 8 Pro Tablet is NOT a Freaking IPAD.
    That's because apple made that crappy definition up of what a tablet is. It's more or less something that they can sell that isn't a mac and can't replace a mac or a PC properly for that matter.

    It's just like when laptops came out, it was portable desktop. It could do some of the same things as a desktop, but still being able to take it ANYWHERE you go whereas a desktop can't very easily. Same message needs to be sent across, a tablet PC is like your laptop combined with a far superior ipad/android in a nice package that costs less than having the two separate devices.

    Sad thing is, there was an ipad prototype or two that basically was like a Windows 7 tablet, mac os on a touch device...

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #72


    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
    Wow people are desperate to discount and deflate the Windows 8 Tablets are they?

    I mean, Win8 Pro Tablets are not even in full swing and doom is predicted by so called analysts who I can bet are...

    A.) Jumping on the band wagon to garner hits for their sites

    b.) really don't have a clue what they are talking about and just posting Win8 Articles to garner hits for their sites.

    c.) Can't see the big forest surrounding them cause of the apple on the ground they can't stop staring at as lemmings do.

    Sorry, but untill the Win8 Pro Tablets are out in full swing, these people are talking out their ***.

    Any and all articles that have anything to do with Win8 are so predictable now they are useless fud.
    But it obviously paints a consistent picture that the marketplace is positioned in such a way that the Windows 8 pro tablets will have an absolutely incredible uphill battle. And perception is a huge component of success.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
    But the problem is,, people equate any and all Tablets to an iPad, period.
    They have no clue or understanding, cause NO ONE explains the real difference.

    Win 8 Pro Tablet is NOT a Freaking IPAD.

    Note: frustration not directed at anyone, but the whole idea that you are going to get a Win8 Pro tablet at the price of a freaking Nook Color.
    But the fact that it's "not" an iPad makes it less cool among their peers. People want to have the device perceived to be the cool device. And while the iPad offers a different set of functionality than a Windows 8 Pro tablet....maybe the iPad offers the type of functionality that people want from those types of devices. I think the overwhelming majority of computer users didn't really need a computer anyway, they needed a mail reader, a web surfer, a facebook client and a video viewer. Tablets provide this functionality, and in a way that is 'uber-popular' today. For those people who might already have an Iphone and be tied into the Apple store, the iPad just seems logical. For others, they are probably more inclined to get a cheaper device and want to save as much money as possible.

    It's all going to boil down to how many people, who are power computer users, decide to plunk down their own money, buy the Windows 8 Pro Tablets and start using these devices on a day to day basis. As a heavy computer user (IT admin for a living), i'm not looking to replace a laptop or desktop with a tablet. I'm not interested in touching my screen and typing a response like this on a touch screen keyboard. My tablet, which is a previously purchased Android device, does a fine enough job for what I would use a tablet for. For anything else, I'm on my Chromebook, laptop or desktop. If lots of people feel like me, these devices could flop..regardless of their power and performance and capabilities.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #73


    Posts : 835
    Win 8.1 Pro


    Well, the thing is, Tablets have been around for a long time, very long time actually.
    They have been expensive and not very stable over all. We have several HP Tablets that are pretty much garbage running XP, some Win7's. Still they are all garbage.

    Now we are getting true concentric OS's that can run tablets efficiently and hardware to support them properly and the industry is slamming it at every turn. And what are they really slamming? The Start GUI, and perceived bad navigation. Not the ability to actaully function. Eventhough they think/believe from initially seeing it and maybe playing with it a bit that it is not productive.

    I am doing everything on my Win8 systems that I did in 7. There is no huge/massive incapacitating difference.

    Yes, I have ClassicShell, but I don't use it that often.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #74


    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
    I am doing everything on my Win8 systems that I did in 7. There is no huge/massive incapacitating difference.
    Fair enough, I too can use Windows 8. It can do what I need to. However, so can Windows 7, which has been solid, stable and trouble free for me. Since Windows 8 doesn't really resolve any real problems that I had before, I'm just not interested in paying anything for it. Having something different for the sake of change or because it is the newest version is simply not enough to draw me in. If I had to buy a new computer and 8 was the only choice, I would use it. But if I could elect Windows 7 instead I would at this point in time.

    I just don't like it. It's not appealing to me. It's not that it's a bad system, it's just not the system for me. It also seems from talking to the people that I know, that Windows 8 isn't blowing up their skirts either. We have almost no demand at work for it, and those who did elect to upgrade have discussed going back to 7 for a number of reasons. People can call it FUD, people can call it BS, people can assert I am simply afraid of change...that doesn't change my opinion or my experiences thus far with the new flagship OS from Microsoft. If you don't believe there are many who are electing to skip this and simply wait for the next thing, then I don't know anything else I can do to convince you otherwise.

    I don't want to see ME fail, but this OS is a certain miss for this end user.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #75


    Posts : 835
    Win 8.1 Pro


    People want to have the device perceived to be the cool device. And while the iPad offers a different set of functionality than a Windows 8 Pro tablet....maybe the iPad offers the type of functionality that people want from those types of devices
    This is a misnomer, People have no clue cause they have not truly been introduced to a Tablet that can do everything their PC's can do and more. Tablets have been out of range of the mainstream due mostly to cost and they have been targeted to the business world, not the consumer. That all is about to change.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #76


    Posts : 738
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional


    No it's all about "convenience" of hand helds! You can take a small device almost pocket sized and do a lot on it. But it will never substitute for a full desktop platform by any means.

    As far as carrying desktops around don't forget Lan parties where people get together with micro-atx mini-tower cases seeing carrying handles on them. My 7 Pro case has one making that easy to carry from room to room for use as a remote desktop.

    And talking about "change" a tablet gui belongs on tablet devices to begin with. But some knothead at MS decided "We want every new edition to look like our new Surface!" and why for many 8 is taken immediately as a flop! That isn't progressive but degressive change being seen and certainly not viable for all newer versions to come as far as the desktop platform is concerned.

    Speaking about "convenience" here's one ZDNet blog on the new Surface Tablet to have a look at. My 60 days with the Surface RT | ZDNet

    When I wrote my first impressions of this Windows RT-powered device back in October, based on a week’s use, I noted that it is not designed to replace a desktop PC or a full-strength notebook. It is, instead, an ideal companion device for a Windows PC, with great mobility. As I said at the time, “It is powerful enough that it alone can handle most work and play duties, even on an extended business trip or vacation.”
    Last edited by Night Hawk; 08 Jan 2013 at 20:24. Reason: Additional information
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #77


    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
    This is a misnomer, People have no clue cause they have not truly been introduced to a Tablet that can do everything their PC's can do and more.
    I don't believe this at all. I've shown many people the advantages of other tablets over iPad's, and I've talked to many people about which type of tablet to buy on Facebook and despite my advice and list of pros/cons...it seems that people continue to buy the iPad because others say, "get an apple you won't regret it", or "just get the iPad and be done with it", "you know you want the apple, just get it". those aren't very solid technical reasons, but they are the reasons that won out in the end.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
    Tablets have been out of range of the mainstream due mostly to cost and they have been targeted to the business world, not the consumer. That all is about to change.
    Um, millions upon millions of high priced iPad's have sold and the Windows tablets are more expensive...so I don't understand what you are trying to say.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #78


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
    This is a misnomer, People have no clue cause they have not truly been introduced to a Tablet that can do everything their PC's can do and more.
    I don't believe this at all. I've shown many people the advantages of other tablets over iPad's, and I've talked to many people about which type of tablet to buy on Facebook and despite my advice and list of pros/cons...it seems that people continue to buy the iPad because others say, "get an apple you won't regret it", or "just get the iPad and be done with it", "you know you want the apple, just get it". those aren't very solid technical reasons, but they are the reasons that won out in the end.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
    Tablets have been out of range of the mainstream due mostly to cost and they have been targeted to the business world, not the consumer. That all is about to change.
    Um, millions upon millions of high priced iPad's have sold and the Windows tablets are more expensive...so I don't understand what you are trying to say.
    Then there's, "Why can't a print from my ipad?! Why can't I plug in video camera to my ipad?! Why can't I plug in my iphone into my ipad?!"

    Non-technical reasons get technical, REAL fast.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #79


    Posts : 835
    Win 8.1 Pro


    Corrected,, there are only 2 draw backs to this particular one,, The Atom is not really what I would want, and I want 64bit with more RAM
    But the rest of my post stands...

    ENVY x2 11t-g000

    Operating system Windows 8 32 edit
    Display 11.6-inch diagonal HD LED-backlit IPS Display (1366 x 768) edit
    Processor and Graphics Intel Atom Z2760 (1.80GHz) + Intel Graphics edit
    Memory 2GB 533MHz LPDDR2 SDRAM edit
    Security software No additional security software edit
    Hard drive 64GB (Solid State Drive) edit
    Office software Microsoft Office Trial edit
    Primary battery 2 Cell Lithium Ion Battery edit
    External optical drive No Internal DVD or CD Drive edit
    Personalization Front-facing HP TrueVision 1080p HD Webcam with integrated digital microphone edit
    Networking 802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth(R) edit
    Keyboard Standard Keyboard

    So,, no one, I do mean no one, who sits down with their Android or Ipad next to this and watches it work, isn't going to be awed by what they see? You watch and see, the future of REAL Tablet computing is close. And many are going to be disappointed they wasted their money.

    You can argue till you are blue in the face, but you have already stated that YOU are not interested in owning a tablet. Those who are interested and bought an iPad or Android won't be so happy they did.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #80


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Then there's, "Why can't a print from my ipad?! Why can't I plug in video camera to my ipad?! Why can't I plug in my iphone into my ipad?!"

    Non-technical reasons get technical, REAL fast.
    Valid questions. However, it's not a question I have been asked or heard complaints about on Facebook. I cannot print from my smartphone, tablet or Chromebook and that doesn't bother me at all. If I have to print, I can always grab a laptop and do so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
    So,, no one, I do mean no one, who sits down with their Android or Ipad next to this and watches it work, isn't going to be awed by what they see? You watch and see, the future of REAL Tablet computing is close. And many are going to be disappointed they wasted their money.

    You can argue till you are blue in the face, but you have already stated that YOU are not interested in owning a tablet. Those who are interested and bought an iPad or Android won't be so happy they did.
    I actually own a tablet. It's an Asus Transformer that's about 14 months old now. Spent about $375 back in the day on it. It's gotten a fair amount of use, mostly from my kids watching YouTube and Netflix videos. I use it to read my email and to rent Redbox movies. And now it's used as a remote for my new Home Theater receiver. I'm perfectly content with my purchase.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Windows 8's uptake falls behind Vista's pace
Related Threads
Another Windows tablet falls short of the iPad | Consumerization Of It - InfoWorld
Hi Guys. I am considering upgrading from windows vista to windows 8, but one thing I am not sure of, are games that play on Vista or XP ( Myst Series. Rhem.etc) playable on windows 8? I have too many games to mention here, but would be grateful if anyone could help me. Much appreciated. Thanks....
I have a computer business and I have already had 7 or 8 people come in cause they cannot do simple things like logging onto a wireless cause cannot find the Icon to seach for available WIreless, etc. People do not want a program they cannot use cause EVERYTHING they have know is gone. Where is the...
To see the bug, follow these steps: 1. Go to the desktop, 2. Right Click on the desktop and make new shortcut, 3. On the Make Shortcut dialog, press cancel, 4. Right Click again, you will see a new menu: Undo New CTRL+Z 11945
A way to use VirtualBox OSE (Open Source Edition) on x64 Windows with signed drivers from Oracle: (see next post)
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook