Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Surface trampled at the bottom of the tablet pile

  1. #21


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by R0bR View Post
    It's funny how people that have never seriously used or own a Surface RT can judge how terrible it is or how it doesn't stack up to an iPad, or the apparent confusion with the RT name. I'm on a couple of Surface forums and there are plenty of Surface owners that have replaced their iPads and Androids, I haven't seen any threads on how confusing things are with RT. The problem is poor marketing, rather than running around clicking the keyboard and dancing around they should be showing what you can do with the Surface or Windows RT in general.
    Ahh, the marketing is in question I find. I personally would had done what they did, they needed a grand spectacle of an entrance to announce. What better than people dancing and clicking? The next one I would also do is something more....youthful/psychedelic/up in your face. Which happens to be what the second Surface commercial is. But the two also give some mention to Office and SkyDrive, but not the focus. It's more around the click sound of the keyboard and the tablet itself, although I don't get why they'd sell it without a keyboard...

    The next Surface commercial I would do, after spending time introducing it and making it look flashy, is to now show what you can realistically do with. With the RT, that's limited. But seeing as the third commercial will be the month the Surface Pro is released, that's when the capabilities need to be shown off. Meaning, Office is on display, the Desktop, the stylus aspect, and maybe even through in using itunes and connecting an ipad to show off the irony of it all!

    My point is, the marketing won't be stellar hopefully until January with the Surface Pro and on. The Pro right now is the preferred model if you're looking for a tablet PC that does all the above, not the RT. Maybe a few years in the future, it might be the RT, but who knows?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Marketing is everything. You gotta make people last after it. The surface has not achieved traction in this area. It's practically non existent.
    Neither did the ipad. How quick we are to forget and dismiss history...

    Remember the initial launch of it? Giant ipod touch? Maxipad? "The ipad is nice, but doesn't really fit in into our already tech filled lives?" Quote from NBC News about, for some reason I remember that distinctly. No one thought the ipad was worth it when a netbook for 200 dollars less can do FAR more than an ipod.

    The same applies to the Surface, except it's not been skewed as giant Windows Phone or Zune, or a as a feminine hygiene product.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Bay Area
    Posts : 21,841
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64


    The iPad has somehow (don't ask me how) acquired this "mystic" quality with people. They are like that about many Apple products. MS is late to the game on top of that. I think they'd love to grab a big part of that market, but would probably be happy to get 10% or better. that's money they aren't getting now. A Guy
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    My point is, the marketing won't be stellar hopefully until January with the Surface Pro and on. The Pro right now is the preferred model if you're looking for a tablet PC that does all the above, not the RT. Maybe a few years in the future, it might be the RT, but who knows?
    My point is better to have a RT than no one at all. Witch one you have Coke ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by molebo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    My point is, the marketing won't be stellar hopefully until January with the Surface Pro and on. The Pro right now is the preferred model if you're looking for a tablet PC that does all the above, not the RT. Maybe a few years in the future, it might be the RT, but who knows?
    My point is better to have a RT than no one at all. Witch one you have Coke ?
    Neither, yet. I don't know for sure if I will buy a Surface Pro this year or early next year. As of 2013, I don't really see an genuine need for one as I have a Windows Phone. I will need one however when I go back to university, that's where the need comes from. As for 2013, I'm more or less focused on my desktop PC rebuild for Windows 8, an Xbox, and abundant unlimited power and storage.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    The iPad sold very well right at the start. I don't ever remember that selling as slowly as the Surface.

    I cannot believe this slow sales approach was the plan. If they wait much longer everybody will already have a tablet and nobody will have a need for one.

    Heck, even Cokie, our midst ardent supporter doesn't even have one and isn't sure he is going to get one next year.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    The iPad sold very well right at the start. I don't ever remember that selling as slowly as the Surface.

    I cannot believe this slow sales approach was the plan. If they wait much longer everybody will already have a tablet and nobody will have a need for one.

    Heck, even Cokie, our midst ardent supporter doesn't even have one and isn't sure he is going to get one next year.
    The ipad sold about a million in its initial launch, we don't know the numbers yet of Surface sales, and we don't know if they're selling slowly enough.

    I remember Microsoft's plan was not to get into retailers like best buy in order to not step on their OEM's PC offerings, that changed pretty quickly. They never said they were going to build a tablet PC, they did and have been working on one for years in secret. The assumption was that the Surface tablets were more or less motivators or a design to use for Windows 8 PCs, it's now a dedicated branch of Microsoft like their mice and Xboxes.

    I just don't understand how difficult it is to comprehend the fact that I don't have one? What's unusual about that? I like it, I support it, doesn't mean I'm camping out in lines to buy one. I'm not an apple fanboy that does, I can live with what I got and will buy one when the need arises. What I find foolish and unusual is how some will go buy one just because they want to buy one. I don't get that, when you already have a PC and smartphone, why buy a tablet PC along with that? Or why have so many different devices to take advantage of very few things from them? That's what I find odd...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post

    I just don't understand how difficult it is to comprehend the fact that I don't have one? What's unusual about that? I like it, I support it, doesn't mean I'm camping out in lines to buy one.
    it just seems like a bunch of talk to me. People who rave about something, belittle the competition, argue that it's a no brainer...but then don't actually own one.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post

    I just don't understand how difficult it is to comprehend the fact that I don't have one? What's unusual about that? I like it, I support it, doesn't mean I'm camping out in lines to buy one.
    it just seems like a bunch of talk to me. People who rave about something, belittle the competition, argue that it's a no brainer...but then don't actually own one.
    Well, I have used touch PCs already, experienced all they have to offer. I've physically toyed around with a Surface RT tablet. I've researched and followed developments about the Surface tablets. I've also tried out the ipads and android knockoff tablets, my conclusion is that it is correct to belittle the competition.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post

    I just don't understand how difficult it is to comprehend the fact that I don't have one? What's unusual about that? I like it, I support it, doesn't mean I'm camping out in lines to buy one.
    it just seems like a bunch of talk to me. People who rave about something, belittle the competition, argue that it's a no brainer...but then don't actually own one.
    Well, I have used touch PCs already, experienced all they have to offer. I've physically toyed around with a Surface RT tablet. I've researched and followed developments about the Surface tablets. I've also tried out the ipads and android knockoff tablets, my conclusion is that it is correct to belittle the competition.
    Yeah, but when it comes down to plunking your own money you sit there with nothing. Doesn't seem like a raving endorsement to me. It's like people who say Open Office.sucks, but they don't pay for MS Office but rather pirate it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Surface trampled at the bottom of the tablet pile
Related Threads
I recently got a Surface Pro 3 (512 GB, Core i7) and it is awesome beyond words. First off, I wanted something fairly powerful, but not generate lots of heat as laptops tend to. Also, I wanted something quiet. The Surface covers all of that easily, and the screen is incredible too. Basically I got...
Surface Tablet 8.1 Printing Issue in Drivers & Hardware
Hello all, I have a Surface Pro tablet with Windows 8.1 on it, and any time I try to switch from my default printer to another network printer in a program Excel, Word, Outlook, Notepad, etc, it will freeze up and takes a few minutes to switch printers - however, it does switch eventually....
My Surface RT Tablet HELP in Drivers & Hardware
Just received my tablet & with my unfamiliarity & big fingers, I screwed up the log on!! How do I start over? Tully Getting more stupid every day!
Hi there seen my first TV commercial for the Surface Pro tablet. Was watching Sky Go on a computer with a large monitor to escape the generally rubbish TV stuff that appears in nearly every country over XMAS on the "Terrestial" channels. screenshot enc. Happy Xmas all cheers
From Mark Minasi (long-time Winodws guru/trainer) Newsletter #103: 28 Days Below the Surface:* Looking at Windows 8 RT on Microsoft's New Tablet
Microsoft's Surface tablet sold out BBC News - A look at Microsoft's Surface tablet
Source I saw a contest where the estimated retail price of the Surface RT being given away was listed as $350. A Guy
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook