Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Microsoft Says You’re Getting Used to Windows 8

  1. #11


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I got used to Windows 8 before it was cool....
    Have you actually purchased a copy, I was reading somewhere that you are just using the enterprise eval?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 4
    Windows 8


    I chose to keep “customer experience improvement program” disabled on my system, so they didn't get any of that information from me. LOL

    I've been using "Metro" since the release and I'm used to it but I still don't like it much. It appears to me that it's an unfinished product that still needs a lot of work. But, I suppose MS needed to expose the Modern UI to more beta testers.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 224
    .


    of course people are getting used to it doesn't mean we don't want to see improvments in metro's flexibility...gimme more freeedommmm.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Microsoft Says You’re Getting Used to Windows 8

    LOL LOL Cnet post that there are 30 shell like programs and one has been DL half a million times since the release. I have looked at how many times Classic Shell has been DL over a million times must be something wrong with there telemetry?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    Classic Shell has been DL over a million times
    Ivo has done it again!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    It's never going to be cool.

    If it really was popular - MS wouldn't need to post PR pieces like that, trying to make out that it is.

    People can get used to all kinds of things, like bad smells and traffic noise - that doesn't make them good things.

    It might be ok for simple minded content consumption for those who are suffering the limitations of touch only devices.

    It is poor for productive use - unergonomic, and unintuitive.

    More surveiilance, less choice, and the constant attempts to push the unsuspecting into MS cloud and forthcoming subscription services.

    Anybody who says that is a good thing is not to be trusted.

    Those taking part in customer feedback are a self selecting group.

    The data collected by Microsoft also show that people are becoming more familiar with the new features over time,
    That's bloody obvious - of course they are becoming more familiar the more they use them. That doesn't make it good.


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I got used to Windows 8 before it was cool....
    So if we follow that logic, Office 2007, 2010, and 2013 are crap to use, even though they have Ribbon UI that many people said was crap to and later learned how to use it?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 224
    .


    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    Microsoft Says You’re Getting Used to Windows 8

    LOL LOL Cnet post that there are 30 shell like programs and one has been DL half a million times since the release. I have looked at how many times Classic Shell has been DL over a million times must be something wrong with there telemetry?
    that doesn't mean they are using it, it could also have been downloaded multiple times by the same person.

    some could have Dl and tried it out.
    some could be using it as a comfort zone just in case they don't get a handle on metro at the start.

    so many reasons that can be given to say that figure means nothing.

    but hey people have always used apps to change their user experience....using classic shell is no different to the last 20 years of windows use.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Quote Originally Posted by gazz9496 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    Microsoft Says You’re Getting Used to Windows 8

    LOL LOL Cnet post that there are 30 shell like programs and one has been DL half a million times since the release. I have looked at how many times Classic Shell has been DL over a million times must be something wrong with there telemetry?
    that doesn't mean they are using it, it could also have been downloaded multiple times by the same person.

    some could have Dl and tried it out.
    some could be using it as a comfort zone just in case they don't get a handle on metro at the start.

    so many reasons that can be given to say that figure means nothing.

    but hey people have always used apps to change their user experience....using classic shell is no different to the last 20 years of windows use.
    The same logic applies to Windows 8 also. I also read somewhere that in the same time period after release Windows 7 was 2x users on the net than Windows 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Canberra
    Posts : 135
    Win 8 x64 Pro


    I use Windows 8 on both my PCs and my laptop now. I'm even considering using it at work. I use Start8 with it so I skip the start screen altogether and work solely on the desktop. My dad saw me running my laptop and asked about it. He liked it so he upgraded his laptop. My dad is not a tech guy. He would be what you would call a "regular user" He was able to upgrade without incident and loves Windows 8. I offered him a way to skip the start screen but he didn't want to. He loves it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 224
    .


    that's the thing, give people enough time and information on the start screen and they end up liking it, just like your dad tw33k.

    Labeeman there is a simple reason for the user disparity...windows 7 is simply that good an os that many won't upgrade when they don't need to, given that those that went to 7 were coming from either xp(dated) or vista(a bad reputation) windows 8 doesn't offer as a big an improvment over 7 for those users to change.

    not to mention that windows 7 will be getting the direct x 11.1 update there is even less reason to upgrade for some users that would have needed that or wanted it.

    now tell me again why the sales figures mean something?

    your logic is people aren't buying this years model of car because it's not as good as last years model, when in actual fact there is little reason for them to change.

    edit: i'm currently using both, i have both windows 8 pro installed and windows 7 pro, i mostly use 7 while i wait for windows 8 updates to stabilse some minor aspects that aren't working right on my system.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Microsoft Says You’re Getting Used to Windows 8
Related Threads
Read more at: How the 'One Microsoft' mission is changing Microsoft Research | ZDNet
Read more at: Microsoft to rebrand 'Windows Azure' as 'Microsoft Azure' | ZDNet
Read more at: Microsoft inches closer to a unified Windows and Windows Phone Store | ZDNet
Read more at source: Microsoft's Lync and OneNote apps for Windows 8, Windows RT now in Windows Store | ZDNet See also: How to Install Metro Apps from Windows 8 Store
Read more at: How Microsoft is killing off the Zune and Windows Live brands in Windows 8 | The Verge
More - Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8 Embedded, There’s a Trend at Microsoft - Softpedia
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook