Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows Blue: Microsoft’s Apple-style OS Strategy

  1. #11


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by constantG View Post
    Hang on, is this not another way of saying Windows 8 isn't the finished article (and never will be! Just like XP was never finished), but will consistently require updates (about a year apart). But the difference is, that M$ would like you to pay for said updates instead of getting them for free.
    The Windows Blue update is said to be a free update. It's also like how Windows Phone 7 users got the 7.5 update for free, and will get 7.8 for free as well as other features, again for free.

    apple is no different, every 10.x update, it's usually 20 dollars. An upgrade from mac os 8 to 9, was about over 300 dollars.
    So, it's just like I said then. Look, M$ aren't fooling anyone; their model is just the same as it's always been.. sell a multitude of units and reap the benefits from them until another big change is on the horizon. But if the change on the horizon isn't a big one then call it an update and make the people using it think that they've got a good deal out of it.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by constantG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by constantG View Post
    Hang on, is this not another way of saying Windows 8 isn't the finished article (and never will be! Just like XP was never finished), but will consistently require updates (about a year apart). But the difference is, that M$ would like you to pay for said updates instead of getting them for free.
    The Windows Blue update is said to be a free update. It's also like how Windows Phone 7 users got the 7.5 update for free, and will get 7.8 for free as well as other features, again for free.

    apple is no different, every 10.x update, it's usually 20 dollars. An upgrade from mac os 8 to 9, was about over 300 dollars.
    So, it's just like I said then. Look, M$ aren't fooling anyone; their model is just the same as it's always been.. sell a multitude of units and reap the benefits from them until another big change is on the horizon. But if the change on the horizon isn't a big one then call it an update and make the people using it think that they've got a good deal out of it.
    Like a free service pack?

    Last I've checked, Microsoft doesn't release updates like that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13



    Microsoft Student Partner
    Vrbovec, Croatia
    Posts : 9
    Windows 8 Pro x64


    ImageRocket.net - 1356820036_Untitled.jpg

    How legit is this?

    EDIT: Source was here but they removed that screenshot. In this article you can see another screenshot with build 9220 in it and kernel version 6.2 .
    Another visual difference is Windows logo color and window border. On my Windows 8 borders are thicker. It is possible that borders were altered via registry but who knows
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Mario92 View Post
    ImageRocket.net - 1356820036_Untitled.jpg

    How legit is this?

    EDIT: Source was here but they removed that screenshot. In this article you can see another screenshot with build 9220 in it and kernel version 6.2 .
    Another visual difference is Windows logo color and window border. On my Windows 8 borders are thicker. It is possible that borders were altered via registry but who knows
    The 6.3 doesn't seem logic. Fake I guess.
    The other one in Chinese (6.2) is more real but ATM not sure if real.
    For me, the numbers seem to high and it's too early.

    They took them from 6.1.7600 to 6.1.7601 for sp1 in Windows 7
    So the 6.3 is more like a Windows 9 than a sp1 (blue).

    So 6.2.9220 sounds more real but still: it's a huge difference. In Win7 terms it's like sp20.
    Is there so much to fix? Man! than it's serious.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Did we at least know if Blue will be an update or a new OS ? As I already said, Windows 8 is supposed to be the last Microsoft OS name Windows.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario92 View Post
    ImageRocket.net - 1356820036_Untitled.jpg

    How legit is this?

    EDIT: Source was here but they removed that screenshot. In this article you can see another screenshot with build 9220 in it and kernel version 6.2 .
    Another visual difference is Windows logo color and window border. On my Windows 8 borders are thicker. It is possible that borders were altered via registry but who knows
    The 6.3 doesn't seem logic. Fake I guess.
    The other one in Chinese (6.2) is more real but ATM not sure if real.
    For me, the numbers seem to high and it's too early.

    They took them from 6.1.7600 to 6.1.7601 for sp1 in Windows 7
    So the 6.3 is more like a Windows 9 than a sp1 (blue).

    So 6.2.9220 sounds more real but still: it's a huge difference. In Win7 terms it's like sp20.
    Is there so much to fix? Man! than it's serious.
    Windows 8's build number is 9200, when logically it should had been 6.2.8800 or 8888 versus 9200.

    But the NT kernel being notched up to 6.3? What?! This is Windows 9, not 8. Then again, lots of thing we don't know...

    From what I've heard, the Desktop might actually get some cosmetic updates!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17



    Microsoft Student Partner
    Vrbovec, Croatia
    Posts : 9
    Windows 8 Pro x64


    Kernel version was my key point why it could be fake. On the other hand MS could switch to anual release of their OS so it would not be so weird to se new kernel version much more often.
    Maybe it is the same situation like with web browsers. Look at Chrome and Firefox - for every little change they change version number.

    Again, Win7 was 7600 (7601 SP1). Windows 8 is 9200. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if MS goes into five digit build number.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Mario92 View Post
    Kernel version was my key point why it could be fake. On the other hand MS could switch to anual release of their OS so it would not be so weird to se new kernel version much more often.
    Maybe it is the same situation like with web browsers. Look at Chrome and Firefox - for every little change they change version number.

    Again, Win7 was 7600 (7601 SP1). Windows 8 is 9200. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if MS goes into five digit build number.
    Guarantee you by Windows 9, the build number will definitely be 10900 or some such...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Covington, La
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT


    From what little I have read it looks like Blue will be a lot of fixes plus some feature updates or additions. Rumors that MS wants to go to a yearly update to add new features and not wait on a new release of Windows. I guess we will find out this summer.

    Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    They don't need a fix, they have to redesign the all thing to make it more appealing and more usable. This all thing look to have be design for prisoners, it's good if you have no other choice, well, I'm free and I want more freedom with my PC,Tablet or Phone.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Blue: Microsoft’s Apple-style OS Strategy
Related Threads
Read more at: Microsoft's Surface strategy: As long as it takes | ZDNet
Microsoft remains shackled to strategy after $900M 'absolute abomination' of a blunder - Computerworld If M$ switches to ARM we can say good buy to all legacy desktop programs.
As written in the title. Which one do you Guys Like more? Apple Apple Or Microsoft Microsoft Home Page | Devices and Services
It looks like Microsoft isn't asleep at the wheel, they might have some ideas going forward. Read on at the site, if you don't like smaller cheaper don't bother. Windows 8 hardware, take 2: Expect cheaper, smaller | Microsoft - CNET News
Read more at source: Microsoft's 'Blue' not just for Windows | Microsoft - CNET News
Microsoft is almost Apple in Chillout Room
Most of you are probably thinking... "Microsoft seems as if they have become Apple with the limited customization options once you dig into there OS. Sure, the desktop seems as if it can have any color it wants, except for maybe 20% of the dark ones. 20 million colors that our eyes can see, and...
As it develops Windows 8, Microsoft has come to acknowledge both Apple and Google as competitors for the hearts and minds of current and would-be Windows users. Full Story: http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/12/microsoft-eying-google-apple-with-windows-8-development.ars
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook