Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 — Disappointing Usability

  1. #1


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode

    Windows 8 — Disappointing Usability


    Windows 8 — Disappointing Usability for Both Novice and Power Users

    Summary:
    Hidden features, reduced discoverability, cognitive overhead from dual environments, and reduced power from a single-window UI and low information density. Too bad.

    Windows 8 — Disappointing Usability for Both Novice & Power Users (Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox)

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Why repost this old shoe again? This has been posted at least 3 or 4 times already!
    The Alertbox is a sales pitch to sell you an expensive opinion piece.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Why repost this old shoe again? This has been posted at least 3 or 4 times already!
    The Alertbox is a sales pitch to sell you an expensive opinion piece.
    Oops... didn't notice it had already been posted. Just trying to bring you cutting edge news...

    Sorry.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    How bizarre.

    Are you suggesting an excerpt/precis from the Lancet is not to be trusted because it costs £160.00 a year.

    What about any expert - usability or otherwise - are they all to be dismissed, because it brings traffic, or raises their public/media/business profile , etc.

    Go ahead and post it up Rickkins - it has been posted before, but the thread may be several pages back - it deserves to be seen.



    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Why repost this old shoe again? This has been posted at least 3 or 4 times already!
    The Alertbox is a sales pitch to sell you an expensive opinion piece.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    How bizarre. Are you suggesting an excerpt/precis from the Lancet is not to be trusted because it costs £160.00 a year. What about any expert - usability or otherwise - are they all to be dismissed, because it brings traffic, or raises their public/media/business profile , etc.
    Yes. I am suggesting it is not to be trusted. Yes. I am dismissing the negative slant on usability because I see and have experienced no such issues. I could effectively fabricate a negative slant on the inefficiencies of a light bulb, but that does not make it unusable. There is no evidence that the author of the advertisement has ever even used Windows 8. He has brought together a group of like minds to assemble an opinion piece that is for sale. As an experienced user of Windows 8, I reject usability whining because, IMO, it works great! 8 is better than 7 IMO. I am not going to critique every fine point because I do not need to, and I am not being paid to do so. I do not care what critics of 8 say about usability, it is irrelevant. Windows 8 works very well. There are too many critics of 8 that do not use 8. Why would I want to become a member of the other forum and bash Windows 7. I could, but it would be illogical to do so. There are plenty of positive reviews of the utility of 8 for use at home or business. Some people actually enjoy using 8 and appreciate the metro.

    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Go ahead and post it up Rickkins - it has been posted before, but the thread may be several pages back - it deserves to be seen.
    Frankly, I do not understand your point. Why highlight everything that you do not like? Is that in your personality? You must enjoy negativity! This endless detailing of every facet that irritates you is somewhat annoying. Also, this obsession with the grand conspiracy is not helpful. One thing for sure, it will be double spaced.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    I don't know, to me that article hit the nail right on the head as far as Windows 8's shortcomings go. It's to bad Microsoft couldn't decide what it was supposed to be and actually finish it before releasing it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    What about any expert - usability or otherwise - are they all to be dismissed, because it brings traffic, or raises their public/media/business profile , etc.
    You're talking about an "expert" that worked for the company that gave you Swing. And other terrible UI's. His expertise lies in Web site design and usability, which is very different from user interface usability, although certainly they share some common pieces.

    A web page has the luxury of adapting each pages usability to fit the design. An OS UI does not, it must fit the usability of everything.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Yes. I am suggesting it is not to be trusted.
    I don't mistrust Nielsen, and I largely agree with many of his assessments. What I disagree with, are his conclusions. In part, I disagree because he does not take into account what Windows 8 is trying to achieve. Rather, he's viewing it from an ivory tower of an academic. In the real world, UI's have to make comromises, and he fails to take that into account. Just look at every UI that his company (Sun) put out.. they are all compromises.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Oh I think this article is the one that summarizes my issues with windows 8 the best. It looks takes a look out how the aesthetics of windows 8 play into the usability. I mean in the end it's not that windows 8 is horrible but it could have been better. Yes people could learn how to use it I have. But there are just a few things that could have used some fixing to make the experience less jarring and awkward. Although it might not seem like it I'm sure they thought it out but unfortunately it wasn't the best solution. It feels half done.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    "It feels half done" It is half done, only a Microsoft nurd would defend this half baked piece of crap, Windows 8 is going nowhere............
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 69
    Windows 7 uiltimate, Windows 8.1 pro 64bit, Windows server 2008R2, Windows 10 TP


    There is always some people defending windows 8 they say that critics never used it or dont want to learn to use it. I use windows 8 baught 2 copies. dedicated one pc just for windows 8. but this article describes windwos 8 shortcomings very well.. right on the spot I would say.. I got same problems with windows 8..
    ofcourse all shortcomings can be overcome by "getting used". this article doesnt mentions advantages that windows 8 has for example I like new file explorer, I like ribbon UI, file copy, move operations is faster and shows more information. new task manager is good (well you can get same information in windows 7 resource monitor but it is more hidden/advanced and not used by as many as task manger). when using ssd boot times are almost same, and speed of os is almost same so there is no difference.
    anyone who dont agree with article provide counter arguments because its empty talk otherwise.. and i dont care reputation or other bias.. because article seems to provide same points as my experience with windows 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Windows 8 — Disappointing Usability
Related Threads
I can log in, which takes much longer than ususal, to be taken to the desktop screen. everything is black except for the cursor and the windows icon in the bottom left. Ctrl+Alt+Del gets me to that normal menu and I can open task manager and from there open windows explorer and from there open most...
Windows 8: Design over Usability | MIT Technology Review It all sounds kind of familiar.
An analysis of Windows 8 by a research group. Nielsen Norman Group: UX Research, Training, and Consulting
Good article. Usability Expert: Windows 8 on PCs is Confusing, a Cognitive Burden
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook