Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 Disappointing Usability

  1. #21


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    It stems from the same thing Kat.

    Trying to force the online stuff at users.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Posts : 153
    windows 8 pro x64


    I like the core and speed of windows 8 but I dislike the way microsoft forces us. I am not a sheep . I want to be able to have alternative as to UI.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Trying to force the online stuff at users.
    ... if you are online, you are in the cloud. For most, internet access is an online service that we subscribe to. If you pay for gas with a card, you are in the cloud. If you buy groceries at the shopping center or quick mart with a card, you are in the cloud. If you make a bank deposit or withdrawal, you are in the cloud. If you downloaded Windows or any app, you are in the cloud. If you have email, you are in the cloud. If you are on this forum, you are in the cloud. One is from England, another from Australia, India, Iceland, Spain, Germany, Belgium, Canada, and another from America...in the cloud.

    Many in the business sector consider cloud services to be very useful.
    Even Linux and Apple are getting on the cloud wagon.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 142
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)


    We're not talking about email or posting on forums.

    We mean the dubious practise of storing files online, and pay-per-use programs ('apps' is so childish
    it's banal)and we don't want to be monetised by MS or anyone else if we choose not to be.

    And there's the keyword - choice.

    Online pay-per-use or subscription-based programs etc are not of the slightest interest to me.

    I want buy once-use forever software. Activate ONCE, if at all, and it's yours for life.

    And I insist on retaining total control over my files, programs AND machine.

    I don't trust companies, I don't trust hackers, and I certainly don't trust our governments.

    And I'm not alone. MANY feel the same way.

    IMO, it's just as much to blame if W8 fails as Metro, if not more-so.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Posts : 39
    Windows 8 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by ecevit View Post
    I like the core and speed of windows 8 but I dislike the way microsoft forces us. I am not a sheep . I want to be able to have alternative as to UI.

    I agree, I can get MS games to work, I can get w7 explorer for w8, I can even get win7 gadgets working again. Programs on my computer run faster, response times are quicker, core speed is fast, gaming is very good too on my part. Win8 is a nice system with lots of new improvements that make the whole system faster, the only thing holding it back is its bland and unappealing looks. I can just imagine millions of people complaining to MS on their forums right now. Its an issue that people won't let go until Ms makes an update to restore the option.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    We're not talking about email or posting on forums....

    We mean the dubious practise of storing files online, and pay-per-use programs ('apps' is so childish
    it's banal)and we don't want to be monetised by MS or anyone else if we choose not to be.
    But you are in the cloud if you are online (and you are paying for an online service).

    It is not Microsoft that is the "monitarization monster" ... It is the business sector.
    Microsoft is not responsible for creating the cloud! It has been under development by the business sector for years. Only now, with the advancement of BYOD devices and smart phones are online services ramping up.

    I would never put my files online but many in business find Servers to be a safe and secure place for data and software. You can comment on pay per use online services, but they are here to stay and will be utilized by all business (IBM, Intel, Apple, Google, Linux Cloud Services and Microsoft)

    About the apps, are you commenting on the usability of metro apps? Many are quite good and will get better. I like my Dictionaries, Encyclopedia, Streaming videos, and customization apps. The desktop offers no advantage over many metro apps.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Posts : 142
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)


    Not the 'apps' themselves, but the terminology.

    I do actually use one or two.

    But I prefer to use the term 'programs'.

    'Apps' sounds SO 'text-ese'.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    USA, Idaho
    Posts : 1,062
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)


    Quote Originally Posted by shane88 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ecevit View Post
    I like the core and speed of windows 8 but I dislike the way microsoft forces us. I am not a sheep . I want to be able to have alternative as to UI.

    I agree, I can get MS games to work, I can get w7 explorer for w8, I can even get win7 gadgets working again. Programs on my computer run faster, response times are quicker, core speed is fast, gaming is very good too on my part. Win8 is a nice system with lots of new improvements that make the whole system faster, the only thing holding it back is its bland and unappealing looks. I can just imagine millions of people complaining to MS on their forums right now. Its an issue that people won't let go until Ms makes an update to restore the option.
    There are alternatives out there, and there is nothing stopping you from using them.

    Shane88, there is nothing saying you are a sheep just because you happen to like the way the UI is setup, you have a choice with all the new apps out there like "Start8, Startisback, etc.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 39
    Windows 8 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shane88 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ecevit View Post
    I like the core and speed of windows 8 but I dislike the way microsoft forces us. I am not a sheep . I want to be able to have alternative as to UI.

    I agree, I can get MS games to work, I can get w7 explorer for w8, I can even get win7 gadgets working again. Programs on my computer run faster, response times are quicker, core speed is fast, gaming is very good too on my part. Win8 is a nice system with lots of new improvements that make the whole system faster, the only thing holding it back is its bland and unappealing looks. I can just imagine millions of people complaining to MS on their forums right now. Its an issue that people won't let go until Ms makes an update to restore the option.
    There are alternatives out there, and there is nothing stopping you from using them.

    Shane88, there is nothing saying you are a sheep just because you happen to like the way the UI is setup, you have a choice with all the new apps out there like "Start8, Startisback, etc.

    Ecevit was talking about MS forcing us like sheep to use its UI, maybe I misunderstood because UI to me means the desktop theme, Maybe hes talking about metro. But I am aware of the alternatives to metro since in my post I did state how I use win 7 explorer on win 8. " I can get MS games to work, I can get w7 explorer for Windows 8, I can even get win7 gadgets working again." My interpretation of UI was thought to mean Aero on desktop, forcing us like sheep was mean't (to me) as not being able to choose aero transparency anymore.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Posts : 534
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Had to help my dad and his friend figure out how to shut down their new Windows 8 laptop last night. They had resorted to just using the power button as they couldn't stumble upon any other way.
    And I hope you told them to just shut the lid. Been doing that for years on my laptops and it works equally well for W8, hardly consumes battery and it's basically instant on when you need it by raising the lid.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Windows 8 Disappointing Usability
Related Threads
I can log in, which takes much longer than ususal, to be taken to the desktop screen. everything is black except for the cursor and the windows icon in the bottom left. Ctrl+Alt+Del gets me to that normal menu and I can open task manager and from there open windows explorer and from there open most...
Windows 8: Design over Usability | MIT Technology Review It all sounds kind of familiar.
An analysis of Windows 8 by a research group. Nielsen Norman Group: UX Research, Training, and Consulting
Good article. Usability Expert: Windows 8 on PCs is Confusing, a Cognitive Burden
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook