Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Which Web Browser Is Best Under Windows 8?

  1. #51


    Quote Originally Posted by elbmek View Post
    I downloaded Pale Moon, my Kaspersky went into overdrive - adaware!! adaware! - so I selected delete the bugs and now we shall try it again.
    Hmm, that's odd. I've been running the browser for more than a year on several pc's, and I have never had problems of that sort. Are you sure you got it from the official source. Maybe someone have made a custom bundle. The official source is The Pale Moon Project homepage

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #52


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by papagoejoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elbmek View Post
    I downloaded Pale Moon, my Kaspersky went into overdrive - adaware!! adaware! - so I selected delete the bugs and now we shall try it again.
    Hmm, that's odd. I've been running the browser for more than a year on several pc's, and I have never had problems of that sort. Are you sure you got it from the official source. Maybe someone have made a custom bundle. The official source is The Pale Moon Project homepage
    windows defender blocks/tags the windows installer download but not the .zip download , give choice to not run or delete ,but I think just because it a .exe file
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #53


    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    windows defender blocks/tags the windows installer download but not the .zip download , give choice to not run or delete ,but I think just because it a .exe file
    That is really strange. I've just downloaded the exe and scanned with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and found nothing. I've also uploaded the exe to Virustotal, which resulted in a 0/43 detection: link

    There are several mirrors on the site though. Which one(s) did you choose. I always choose "Pale Moon mirror (Direct link)".

    If one of the mirror providers adds adware to the exe, we should probably email the Pale Moon developers and let them know.

    EDIT: I've checked every mirror with VirusTotal, and none of them are infected.
    Last edited by papagoejoe; 27 Nov 2012 at 07:12.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #54


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    Quote Originally Posted by elbmek View Post
    one thing I have noticed I that google takes eons to open in IE10, I will have a look for this 'pale moon' soon as I can.
    Suggest you give "Waterfox" a try instead of Palemoon.

    Way better.(imho) Rock solid variant of firefox.

    Waterfox - The fastest 64-bit variant of Firefox on the web
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #55


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by papagoejoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    windows defender blocks/tags the windows installer download but not the .zip download , give choice to not run or delete ,but I think just because it a .exe file
    That is really strange. I've just downloaded the exe and scanned with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and found nothing. I've also uploaded the exe to Virustotal, which resulted in a 0/43 detection: link

    There are several mirrors on the site though. Which one(s) did you choose. I always choose "Pale Moon mirror (Direct link)".

    If one of the mirror providers adds adware to the exe, we should probably email the Pale Moon developers and let them know.

    EDIT: I've checked every mirror with VirusTotal, and none of them are infected.
    there was nothing in it I installed it all was ok, ,it was just that windows defender stops all .exe downloads ,saying they may be malicious and I have to make choices to let it continue maybe that all Kaspersky did
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #56


    Posts : 142
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)


    I'm using IE10 as my main browser (with a few add-ons) and Firefox
    as my secondary (mainly for Farcebook and YouTube because it has
    a good video-grabber).

    My very first browser was Netscape Navigator, my first IE version was IE3....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #57


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8


    [QUOTE=caperjack;149429][QUOTE=elbmek;149256]
    Quote Originally Posted by kmint View Post

    for me its IE10 ,I used firefox in win7 as the default ,but in win8 I rarely use firefox ,WHY ,not sure just like ie10 better
    I've used IE my whole life except for a Linux netbook I once used with Firefox - Never found anything I liked better than IE . . . . until I bought a new Windows 8 touch screen notebook - Now it appears my IE days may be over

    Why? One word . . . . Bing! Bing is the default (and only search engine) that comes loaded with Win8 and IE10. If you are using Win8 in the desktop mode, it is possible to load other search engines and make any one of them you like the default (though it will not let you delete Bing) but if you're using Win8 in the metro mode on a touch screen PC, for some strange reason IE10 will not allow you to add any other browser to the list, so since there's nothing else there but Bing to choose from, you're stuck with it

    Sad that Microsoft seems intent on driving those of us who can't stand Bing toward some other browser, but that appears to be exactly what they are doing. I'm going to miss IE and I hope Chrome isn't too hard to get used to . . . . I guess it's the logical choice for me because I prefer Google searches to anything else

    Don
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #58


    Yeah, I don't use Bing either.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #59


    Why only under Windows 8, Google is the best under any OS. What ever I grab my phone, Linux PC or what ever, I have all my favorites, this is the browser to have if you have more than 1 desktop
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #60


    I will try waterfox but firefox has gone into the browser version of the funny farm. At present my default is Chrome and no real complaints, I do not think any of them are prefect, least of all IE10 and FF.

    As for search engines - google, no contest. I had to tell Win update to hide the Bing download, it kept telling me I need it, and I said no I don't. Google is my default which is an option easily adjusted.

    just been checking waterfox out, it says 64 bit - is it ok for a 32 bit pc?
    Answer: No. This application will not run on your pc.

    I do have a 64 bit laptop, will try it on that
    Last edited by elbmek; 31 Dec 2012 at 22:29.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Which Web Browser Is Best Under Windows 8?
Related Threads
New Browser with Windows 10 in Chillout Room
Microsoft could launch a completely new browser with Windows 10 | VentureBeat | Business | by Harrison Weber A lot of people think IE is slow. To me, depending on the age of the computer has an effect on IE's performance. I am wondering if this will browser will be available for all versions...
I purchased a new laptop a month back and all of a sudden today the browsers stop working. it's giving error "this webpage is not available " wat do i do??
I have a new Samsung Model # NP355E7C-A01US wireless laptop. It seems that I am having a browser problem. I just tried this fix it: MicrosoftFixit50195.msi and immediately received this response: 1-14 fix it 50195 this microsoft fix it does not apply to your operating system or...
Solved Best Browser for Windows 8 ? in Browsers & Mail
Which browser you guy use in windows 8 ?? The Default Internet Explorer Google Chrome Opera Or Any Other ?? :sleepy:
I am DENNIS THAKKAR from BHUJ (INDIA) Please Help Me its URGENTi am haveing Problem to OPEN FACEBOOK in any Brosewr on my WINDOWS 8 i am using Windows 8 OS 64bit i here is details of my system Processor : Intel Core i5- 2310CPU @2.90Ghz RAM : 12gb System type : 64 bit Os WINDOWS 8 pro i...
Does anyone have a problem with screen popups ? It happens more with Internet Explorer. I can click on a link and a screen pops up most of the time it is telling me to install Adobe Flash Player, but in my Add/Remove Programs its shows that it is already installed. I don't no if my machine isn't...
Browser Crashes on Windows 8 in Software and Apps
Hey guys, I've spent a couple of days installing and uninstalling several different browsers trying to get around compatibility issues with Windows 8. Chrome, Firefox and IE all freeze up (not responding) when viewing flash sites. In general, the performance of all browsers on Windows 8 has been...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook