Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


What do normal people think of new Windows 8 PCs?

  1. #21


    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Only old long-hair hippie types are normal. Their souls have been psycodelicized.
    Of course, we NEVER refered to ourselves as "hippies" We referred to ourselves as "freaks"

    Heheh!!...Remember the 'Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers'...????

    Now, THAT dates us...:-(
    LOL! And I thought I was alone here on the forum. lQQks like I'm not the only freak geek! The "bugs" are coming out everywhere!

    Don't forget Cheech & Chong, Fritz the Cat, Sister Mary Elephant, and many others.

    No, we won't forget our dear Deadhead friends for sure! The movement continues with Punks! Long live PEACE & LOVE! That's all you need.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by area 66 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I call BS on the dissent. You don't give someone a Mercedes Benz and expect them to know how to drive it properly after driving an old Ford Fiesta..
    Are you serious ?, both cars have the gas pedal at right and the brake at left ...Microsoft with Windows 8 put the steering wheel ( start menu ) in the glove compartment ( start page)
    False.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I call BS on the dissent. You don't give someone a Mercedes Benz and expect them to know how to drive it properly after driving an old Ford Fiesta. By just not showing someone just the simple basics of how to use Windows 8, or at least telling them, you've basically just misrepresented the whole OS and UI. Yeah, it can be tricky and yeah it's different. Why wouldn't you not show someone the ways of how to use it? This I've yet to understand. The argument that says that is shows that Windows 8 is unintuitive is a load of malarkey.
    If you don't believe their is dissent I invite you to come to Michigan and I can introduce you to most of the people who I work with who have played with my on display demos and have heard from me first hand on how to use Windows 8 and have elected to not use it. One guy just build a pc last week and he has purchased a much more expensive copy of Windows 7 for the machine rather than Windows 8 because he simply didn't like 8.

    Windows 8 is unintuitive in quite a number of areas. Mostly driven from the fact that it's not familiar in any way to past versions of Windows. For example, the charms bar on a desktop is not intuitive. If it were, we wouldn't have needed that little video showing people how to get to it. It makes a whole lot more sense in the tablet world to just swipe in from the right side of the screen, but with a keyboard and mouse it just seems a bit strange to dive into the corners. And speaking of corners, getting to the corners and not a second monitor can be tricky for quite a number of people. Thus, I'm advising them to use Win-C (the keyboard shortcut) to pull up the charms bar. Trying to figure out how to "close" a metro app is not intuitive. I realize MS just wants you to leave it open in the background and hit the start screen and move onto something else....but not all of us want to leave apps open and running that we don't use. Grabbing the top of the window with the hand and just dragging it to the bottom of the screen to get rid of it...while easy enough to learn and remember once shown, is not INTUITIVE.
    By the way, what type of people do you work with?

    Now, you say closing apps is unintuitive, I say otherwise. It makes sense. Honestly, it's not anymore different than clicking and dragging a window to snap it. I haven't had to do so for over a year now by using the Touch Mouse, and it feels so clunky to do so now. What is so DIFFICULT about moving the mouse down? What? Is it because it hasn't been done like that before?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    @area,Interesting you mention the steering wheel.

    Mike mace also used that analogy, he said:

    ...it is hard to describe how disorienting this is. It's roughly equivalent to giving someone a car in which the steering wheel has been replaced by a joystick.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I call BS on the dissent. You don't give someone a Mercedes Benz and expect them to know how to drive it properly after driving an old Ford Fiesta. By just not showing someone just the simple basics of how to use Windows 8, or at least telling them, you've basically just misrepresented the whole OS and UI. Yeah, it can be tricky and yeah it's different. Why wouldn't you not show someone the ways of how to use it? This I've yet to understand. The argument that says that is shows that Windows 8 is unintuitive is a load of malarkey.
    If you don't believe their is dissent I invite you to come to Michigan and I can introduce you to most of the people who I work with who have played with my on display demos and have heard from me first hand on how to use Windows 8 and have elected to not use it. One guy just build a pc last week and he has purchased a much more expensive copy of Windows 7 for the machine rather than Windows 8 because he simply didn't like 8.

    Windows 8 is unintuitive in quite a number of areas. Mostly driven from the fact that it's not familiar in any way to past versions of Windows. For example, the charms bar on a desktop is not intuitive. If it were, we wouldn't have needed that little video showing people how to get to it. It makes a whole lot more sense in the tablet world to just swipe in from the right side of the screen, but with a keyboard and mouse it just seems a bit strange to dive into the corners. And speaking of corners, getting to the corners and not a second monitor can be tricky for quite a number of people. Thus, I'm advising them to use Win-C (the keyboard shortcut) to pull up the charms bar. Trying to figure out how to "close" a metro app is not intuitive. I realize MS just wants you to leave it open in the background and hit the start screen and move onto something else....but not all of us want to leave apps open and running that we don't use. Grabbing the top of the window with the hand and just dragging it to the bottom of the screen to get rid of it...while easy enough to learn and remember once shown, is not INTUITIVE.
    By the way, what type of people do you work with?

    Now, you say closing apps is unintuitive, I say otherwise. It makes sense. Honestly, it's not anymore different than clicking and dragging a window to snap it. I haven't had to do so for over a year now by using the Touch Mouse, and it feels so clunky to do so now. What is so DIFFICULT about moving the mouse down? What? Is it because it hasn't been done like that before?
    No! It's different....and different is not good!

    Geez...Why aren't we still building pyramids on Santa Monica Boulevard?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    It's a pretty small sample - and it's self selecting - only those who bothered to give feedback .

    Nevertheless, if they are "normal" people as Ed puts it -and judging form the few comments he quoted, they appear to have very simple needs. Exactly the kind of thing win8 is ok at - big buttons to click/jab at to take you straight to Fbook. You might as well just have phone - except the screen is a bit small.

    News just in from John Lewis is their electrical sales are about 10% up on this time last year.

    That seems to be due to the fact they have a lot of new electricals available. The new ithings - and a whole range of other ithings - new android devices doing well there too apparently - in addition to that - a big range of win8 devices in stock. They haven't said how many win8 devices they have sold, but it must be some.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    @area,Interesting you mention the steering wheel.

    Mike mace also used that analogy, he said:

    ...it is hard to describe how disorienting this is. It's roughly equivalent to giving someone a car in which the steering wheel has been replaced by a joystick.
    Mercedes Benz built a prototype of this a few years ago. I think it to be a good idea. It would not only be good for "normal" people, but for those whom are handicapped as well.

    JC was "different". That's why the Romans hung him on a tree. So was Allen Turring and look what happened to him. Why? Oh why? are some people always against different is beyond me!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Posts : 228
    Black Label 7x64


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Why? Oh why? are some people always against different is beyond me!
    I demand every post from you from now on be written in Sumerian cuneiform.
    Here is your reference guide:
    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    [QUOTE=Coke Robot;138137]

    By the way, what type of people do you work with?[quote]
    All different types. I work for a software company. The US office has some IT staff, customer service people, sales people and a few programmers. Some are men, handful of women. Mostly mid 30s to mid 40s. Half a dozen under 25.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Now, you say closing apps is unintuitive, I say otherwise. It makes sense. Honestly, it's not anymore different than clicking and dragging a window to snap it. I haven't had to do so for over a year now by using the Touch Mouse, and it feels so clunky to do so now. What is so DIFFICULT about moving the mouse down? What? Is it because it hasn't been done like that before?
    You seem to confuse intuitive for difficult. I never said dragging it to the bottom of the screen was hard, I said it wasn't intuitive. It's fine once they are shown how, but I have not found anybody yet who naturally did that to close an app. Clicking an X in the upper corner made sense to close an app. Dragging the cursor to the top of the screen until it turns into a hand and then dragging to the bottom of the screen to close it does NOT really make sense. You can say that it's logical and makes sense, but unless you are told how to do it, I bet most people would not just naturally figure it out. And that is what intuitive means, figuring it out and having it come naturally, almost instinctively...and that is exactly what we do not have here.

    It's easy enough once you know, not hard to accomplish..but not intuitive.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    I see the col is on form . I didn't understand a word of it either.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
What do normal people think of new Windows 8 PCs?
Related Threads
Hi, The other day I was looking into the services of my computer cause typically certain services run at certain types and I'm used to it being like that, however I noticed a service that usually ran wasn't running. Checked in the services list. The Background Intelligent Transfer Service was...
Hello. I have Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64, with Update 1. I want to ask you, where can be problem. CPU --> Intel(R) Core i5 3230M 2,6 - 3,2 ghz GPU --> Intel HD 4000 and nVidia GeForce GT740M 2GB (it switches how it needs) RAM --> 4 GB DDR3 and 1 600 MHz (1,6 GHz) HDD --> 750 gb with 5400 rpm...
Is this RAM usage normal for Windows 8? in Performance & Maintenance
Below is a screenshot showing my RAM usage when nothing much is running. It shows that I am using 2 GB with 1.9GB cached. What does this mean exactly and does this reduce the amount of RAM available to other programs to 2GB out of the 4? Thanks. 45698
Hello All, can programs be installed in the normal way on a Windows Tablet (I.E. from a USB stick or USB CD drive) or do they have to be downloaded and installed like on an Android tablet ?
Windows 8 Pricing Goes Back to Normal - Yahoo! News
Well, my computer uses a lot more usage than any of my friends on windows 7, or any other operating system. I have taken off a lot of the apps and that doesn't seem to be the problem :/ is there any way to fix this? If so please help, thanks. :)
If These 5 People Who Tried Windows 8 Are Normal, Microsoft Has A Big Problem On Its Hands Source A Guy
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook