Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


What Microsoft should have done

  1. #51


    Posts : 1,308
    Windows 8 enterprise x64


    come on crawfish, you know very well that it's a license thing. On how many thread we will need to say that you don't own the software but only the right to use it, it's Microsoft who own their software, so it's them who decide what we can do with it.

    Chrone, the problem is not the desktop , it's the stupid hot corner, as I mention in many place, when I hit the back on Google, in many case the Metro apps running at the back pop up, because the back button is near the left top corner.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #52


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Hi there
    If you re-install W7 on your machine (assuming it's the same one W7 was originally installed on) you won't have ANY problem with re-activation -- even if it's an OEM copy --you can re-install Windows on your ORIGINAL machine as many times as you want --although after the 234th time Ms might get a bit perplexed.

    If there is ANY problem just use the phone activation -- Ms are quite reasonable --99 times out of 100 just answer the automated query and follow the instructions and you'll get activated. If you ARE put to a "Real Human" don't lie --just say you tried W8 or whatever -- I just want to install W7 again as some apps don't work properly yet. No probalem at all.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #53


    Posts : 454
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by area 66 View Post
    come on crawfish, you know very well that it's a license thing. On how many thread we will need to say that you don't own the software but only the right to use it, it's Microsoft who own their software, so it's them who decide what we can do with it.
    Huh? I asked whether Microsoft's activation servers will allow one to simultaneously activate both the qualifying OS and the upgrade OS. If they do, it would seem to defeat the purpose of activation. If they don't, and you hate the upgrade OS and want to go back to the qualifying OS, how do you do that? It seems you would have to somehow tell them you're no longer using the upgrade OS. Or is it that the choice just doesn't exist? It's a real question.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #54


    Posts : 1,308
    Windows 8 enterprise x64


    Quote Originally Posted by crawfish View Post

    ...... It seems you would have to somehow tell them you're no longer using the upgrade OS. Or is it that the choice just doesn't exist? It's a real question.



    If you reverse your PC back, and re install Windows 7 on it, it's obvious that your upgrade is not install anymore. As for simultaneously activate booth OS, it's against the EULA, why peoples here insist so much on it ? It's against the forum rules to talk about a way to cheat activation, why insist on it . Everyday we have 2 or 3 persons who come back with this


    This is a tread about other option Microsoft can have take, not how to cheat the system
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #55


    Quote Originally Posted by robinb9 View Post
    to purchase another monitor is costly
    Not just costly, not all of us have the space for a second monitor.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #56


    Posts : 454
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by area 66 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crawfish View Post

    ...... It seems you would have to somehow tell them you're no longer using the upgrade OS. Or is it that the choice just doesn't exist? It's a real question.



    If you reverse your PC back, and re install Windows 7 on it, it's obvious that your upgrade is not install anymore. As for simultaneously activate booth OS, it's against the EULA, why peoples here insist so much on it ? It's against the forum rules to talk about a way to cheat activation, why insist on it . Everyday we have 2 or 3 persons who come back with this


    This is a tread about other option Microsoft can have take, not how to cheat the system
    I'm at a loss for words. I'm not even remotely talking about "cheating the system".
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #57


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    We know you don't want to cheat the system.

    A lot of people are confused about what they are supposed to do.

    Note the word supposed. MS doesn't deactivate anything - the user is supposed to do it.

    It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if millions of people don't do that.

    It wouldn't surprise MS either.

    It's not really relevant to this thread - we get a few people asking it about it on their own threads.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #58


    Posts : 454
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    We know you don't want to cheat the system.
    Thank you.

    A lot of people are confused about what they are supposed to do.

    Note the word supposed. MS doesn't deactivate anything - the user is supposed to do it.

    It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if millions of people don't do that.

    It wouldn't surprise MS either.
    But they do have the ability to deny activation, and I'm just expressing some idle curiosity about how that plays out in upgrade scenarios. Does the upgrade version come with its own product key, or do you reuse the one from the prior OS? I guess that's the most fundamental thing. If the old one is reused, then the upgrade would essentially become one with it, and I think that would put an end to my questions about this.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #59


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Upgrade version has it's own product key.

    The download program checks to see if you have a qualifying os before it offers you the upgrade price and let's you order. They send an email with the key.

    It downloads the installation files into a hidden folder called ESD. It gives you the option to run off an .iso for a clean install. If you boot the iso, setup.exe checks there is a qualifying version on the machine you booted it on - it lets you install onto another partition - you are not forced to overwrite anything.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #60


    Posts : 1,308
    Windows 8 enterprise x64


    Quote Originally Posted by crawfish View Post

    I'm at a loss for words. I'm not even remotely talking about "cheating the system".

    Quote Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    Huh? I asked whether Microsoft's activation servers will allow one to simultaneously activate both the qualifying OS and the upgrade OS. .
    Activate boot Windows 7 and the Update at same time is cheating the license. We have numerous treads where numerous times Bring paste or link the EULA .....

    and again your are Hi-Jacking the tread with something not related at all.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
What Microsoft should have done
Related Threads
Read more at: How the 'One Microsoft' mission is changing Microsoft Research | ZDNet
Read more at: Microsoft to rebrand 'Windows Azure' as 'Microsoft Azure' | ZDNet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook