Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Trying to install XP on Hyper-V VM; doesn't see disk

  1. #11


    A Finnish ex-pat in Leipzig, Germany
    Posts : 1,452
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    OK, I missed that post (you posted two posts within two minutes, I saw the first and responded). My mistake, sorry.

    About the Generations: Generation 2 vm can only be used for 64-bit operating systems, Windows Server versions starting from Server 2012 and normal Windows versions starting from Windows 8. Older operating systems (Windows Server 2008 or older, Windows 7 or older) or any 32 bit OS cannot be installed on a Generation 2 vm. This is quite clearly told when you set up a vm:

    Click image for larger version

    Anyway, good to know you got it solved .

    Quote Originally Posted by GregL65 View Post
    In the VM, Windows XP setup now wants to partition and format the drive. I'm a bit nervous about that. That will happen only to the VM's virtual hard drive, NOT to the physical hard drive, correct?

    Yes, no worries. The Hyper-V and Windows XP installation see your virtual hard disk as a normal HDD on a normal computer, all references to HDD are only about the VHD, not the HDD on host.

    Click image for larger version

    Kari

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 15
    Windows 8.1


    Thanks, I had misread the Generation-2 restrictions to be in reference to the host OS, not the VM's OS. Doh!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 8
    Windows 8.1 PRO


    I have a WinXP SP3 ISO 32bit image "xpsp3_5512.080413-2113_usa_x86fre_spcd.iso" that is on my C: Drive. I understand that when I create the Win XP Virtual Machine that I must use Generation 1 for this 32bit OS. When I Start the Virtual Machine I get the following error message "Boot Failure. Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device." Will this ISO only install from the DVD drive?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    A Finnish ex-pat in Leipzig, Germany
    Posts : 1,452
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by wswbrink View Post
    I have a WinXP SP3 ISO 32bit image "xpsp3_5512.080413-2113_usa_x86fre_spcd.iso" that is on my C: Drive. I understand that when I create the Win XP Virtual Machine that I must use Generation 1 for this 32bit OS. When I Start the Virtual Machine I get the following error message "Boot Failure. Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device." Will this ISO only install from the DVD drive?
    Did you set the virtual machine to use your XP ISO file as virtual DVD drive?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 8
    Windows 8.1 PRO


    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wswbrink View Post
    I have a WinXP SP3 ISO 32bit image "xpsp3_5512.080413-2113_usa_x86fre_spcd.iso" that is on my C: Drive. I understand that when I create the Win XP Virtual Machine that I must use Generation 1 for this 32bit OS. When I Start the Virtual Machine I get the following error message "Boot Failure. Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device." Will this ISO only install from the DVD drive?
    Did you set the virtual machine to use your XP ISO file as virtual DVD drive?
    Under Settings it shows my DVD drive as, Controller: Controller IDE 1, Location 0 (in use), Media: Image file & the path to the ISO file on my C: Drive.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    A Finnish ex-pat in Leipzig, Germany
    Posts : 1,452
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    If the ISO file is used as virtual CD/DVD drive...:

    Click image for larger version

    ... and CD is first item in boot order list, the virtual machine should automatically start the installation from ISO when started:

    Click image for larger version

    A complete walk through to install any version of Windows in a Hyper-V virtual machine on our sister site: Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10. Tutorial is made for Windows 10 but works exactly the same way in Window 8 & 8.1.

    Kari
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 8
    Windows 8.1 PRO


    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    If the ISO file is used as virtual CD/DVD drive...:

    Click image for larger version

    ... and CD is first item in boot order list, the virtual machine should automatically start the installation from ISO when started:
    Click image for larger version

    A complete walk through to install any version of Windows in a Hyper-V virtual machine on our sister site: Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10. Tutorial is made for Windows 10 but works exactly the same way in Window 8 & 8.1.

    Kari
    My virtual machines settings are as you show in your last response. I tried shutting Hyper-V down completely and re-started Hyper-V manager, then started the Windows XP SP3 Virtual Machine I can heard it trying to access my DVD prior to getting the boot error.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    A Finnish ex-pat in Leipzig, Germany
    Posts : 1,452
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    If it tries to access the DVD drive on host then there's something wrong in settings. Please take a screenshot showing the settings window as first of the screenshots in my previous post, the DVD being selected on left pane.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 8
    Windows 8.1 PRO


    Kari,

    Thanks for your patience. Screen shot of my WinXP Virtual Machine BIOS:
    Click image for larger version

    Screen shot of WinXP Virtual Machine IDE Controller I - CD:
    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    A Finnish ex-pat in Leipzig, Germany
    Posts : 1,452
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    OK. Those are correct. If the ISO file is valid and bootable and the vhd is empty (no OS), XP installation should run automatically from ISO. If not then basically the only explanation is that the ISO file is damaged.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Trying to install XP on Hyper-V VM; doesn't see disk
Related Threads
Hyper-V new vm doesn't start in Virtualization
Hello, I've installed Win Pro 8.1 on a new desktop and added the Hyper-V feature. Checking the bios shows Virtualization is enabled, and I contacted intel about the processor who verified it supports virtualization (dell said it doesn't). I can start the VM manager, create an Internal Lan Switch...
Does anybody know how to install Hyper-V Manager on Windows 8.1? I can't find anything to say it isn't possible, but I also can't find any way to install it. Anything I have been able to find refers only to installing it in Windows 8.1 Pro, but says the host software requires Pro or Enterprise....
How to Convert Hyper-V Virtual Hard Disk to VHD or VHDX This tutorial will show you how to convert a Hyper-V virtual hard disk toVHD or VHDX in Windows 8and 8.1. This example will show you how convert a Hyper-V VHD to VHDX, although you are able to also convert VHDX to VHD. Also through...
How to Change Default Virtual Hard Disk Location in Hyper-V This tutorial will show you how to change the default location where your virtual hard disks (VHDs) are saved to in Hyper-V. If you change the default Virtual Hard Disk location you will still be able to change the location when...
I am running Windows 8.1 Pro with Hyper-V enabled. When I had Windows 8 I could install a Virtual switch with out any problems, since upgrading I can not install a Virtual Switch with External or Internal settings. Not sure if this is relevant or not but when I look at the Ethernet properties...
Disk Defragmenter Doesn't Do Anything in Performance & Maintenance
When I click Optimize on a drive, it analyzes for a few seconds and then says "Needs optimization (17% fragmented)". It doesn't actually defragment though. This is on a regular hard drive, not SSD. What's wrong? By the way, I have Scheduled optimization turned off.
I have a hard disc on (B:) and when I got to my computer it does not show it but if I go to manage it shows it. On windows 7 it works fine it does not have windows 7 or 8 on it and is classic hdd not ssd. It will show anything that has a letter from c and above it shows my other 3 hard disks. Any...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook