Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows XP VM will not load on Windows 8 Pro

  1. #11


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Hi there.

    XP runs JUST FINE on these hosts : W8 / W8.1 / W7 / any sort of Linux too

    Are you sure that you aren't trying to run XP MODE -- you can do this on W8 but you need to extract the "Real VM" and then convert and import.

    The whole point of Virtual machines is that you can run almost any OS on them whether or not the OS is current or not. I'm still running a W98 VM at times !! too.

    Incidentally - there's no need to "IMPORT" the VM into VMware -- simply copy the whole folder to somewhere that your W8 system can read and simply OPEN the .VMX file. VMware will give you an initial message "Did you copy or move the VM" -- answer the "I copied it" button. You might have to re-install VMware tools again once the VM is powered up.

    I use the same folder on all my hosts including Linux -- never a single problem with the VM -- as I said don't IMPORT it simply OPEN it.

    Cheers
    jimbo

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    OK I thought I made this clear but once again here goes. This was a VM created by VMWARE by importing the XP image into the VM. It does not change the base VHD at all just references it. The VM is at least 4 years old. It has noting to do with XP mode per se. I am well aware of how things are with XP VM's but these were created in a specific way. I have others created from the XP iso and they are fine. This VM can only be run on 7 machines Pro and above, and VMWare does not allow it to run on 8. I think we will run into this more in the future. According to VMWare it is a limitation of being created by importing into VMWare workstation under Windows 7 Pro and above.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
    OK here is VMWares take on this, if I had known at the time I would have used the XP CD.

    VMware KB: Importing Windows 7 XP Mode as a virtual machine in VMware Workstation

    Guess that is it, states clearly can only be used by a Windows 7 machine and Pro and above.
    Doesn't matter who made the VM.

    Check the vmx of the VM and see the full path of the base.vhd.

    The base.vhd (see Kari's post) got removed from the install location.
    I guess upgrading the OS to 8 uninstalled Virtual PC, removing the install files + the base.bhd.

    If you made a copy or could get it from somewhere and place it in the right path, the machine would run again.

    But I see it's marked as solved, this was just some detail on the screenshot.

    Cheers!
    Hopachi
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Hi there

    I'm not sure if I posted this before but if you actually want to get XP MODE to run on w8 / w8.1 it CAN be done

    How to Run Windows XP for Free in Windows 8

    My confusion about the "Old VM'S" or special VM's was were these bog standard XP VM's or running "XP MODE" on W7. If XP MODE then try the solution I've linked to. Should work when using VBOX or VMWARE.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    I put the base VHD in Program Files from my Windows 7 OS and VMWare Workstation informs me It is not allowed to run. See screenshot. on previous post. The Virtual machine works just fine on a Windows 7 Ultimate machine but not on Windows 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
    I put the base VHD in Program Files from my Windows 7 OS and VMWare Workstation informs me It is not allowed to run. See screenshot. on previous post. The Virtual machine works just fine on a Windows 7 Ultimate machine but not on Windows 8.
    Ah yes, I didn't looked at that one.
    It seems you're right, they did something to it. The VM is the official XP mode which in that case isn't allowed by the license to run on something else that a W7 host.

    You can try to create a new VM from scratch and assign the base disk or a copy of it as the hdd. It has more chances to start but you might not be able to activate it anymore. Cloning the VHD to VMDK or VDI (see VirtualBox cloning) might give some results but I guess XP Mode won't activate.

    Other thing, to copy the data you had in xp mode (if it's not working in W8) you can assign the disk to another VM to browse it.

    If you still use the VM on Win7, leave it there. Best way is to copy all data to a new VM that works on Windows 8, if you plan to move to 8 entirely (VMs included). On W8, XP VM would require a new license, unfortunately not the one from XP mode.

    Regards,
    Hopachi
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Thanks, I do have 5 or 6 unused XP Pro licences kicking around so I'll save this for a winters day.....Build a new one from scratch.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
    I put the base VHD in Program Files from my Windows 7 OS and VMWare Workstation informs me It is not allowed to run. See screenshot. on previous post. The Virtual machine works just fine on a Windows 7 Ultimate machine but not on Windows 8.
    Ah yes, I didn't looked at that one.
    It seems you're right, they did something to it. The VM is the official XP mode which in that case isn't allowed by the license to run on something else that a W7 host.

    You can try to create a new VM from scratch and assign the base disk or a copy of it as the hdd. It has more chances to start but you might not be able to activate it anymore. Cloning the VHD to VMDK or VDI (see VirtualBox cloning) might give some results but I guess XP Mode won't activate.

    Other thing, to copy the data you had in xp mode (if it's not working in W8) you can assign the disk to another VM to browse it.

    If you still use the VM on Win7, leave it there. Best way is to copy all data to a new VM that works on Windows 8, if you plan to move to 8 entirely (VMs included). On W8, XP VM would require a new license, unfortunately not the one from XP mode.

    Regards,
    Hopachi
    Hi there
    You can extract the VM from XP mode and create a new XP VM machine which will run perfectly on W8. I gave the method in a previous post but here it is again.

    How to Run Windows XP for Free in Windows 8

    The advantage of this method is that it's already got SP3 built in -- otherwise you'll have to source and find SP3 after creating your initial VM. Of course if you still have XP SP3 then fine -- BTW if you want to keep XP VM's around you can SLIPSTREAM SP3 into your base ISO before you start so you don't have to apply after initial VM creation.

    http://winsupersite.com/article/wind...k-3-sp3-128464

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there
    You can extract the VM from XP mode and create a new XP VM machine which will run perfectly on W8. I gave the method in a previous post but here it is again.

    How to Run Windows XP for Free in Windows 8

    The advantage of this method is that it's already got SP3 built in -- otherwise you'll have to source and find SP3 after creating your initial VM.
    Yes, that one works fine. Thanks for the links.

    7-Zip extracts well.
    You can even use the VHD alone and just assign it to a new XP VM.

    Cheers!
    Hopachi
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows XP VM will not load on Windows 8 Pro
Related Threads
Windows 8.1 Store don´t load in Software and Apps
Hy there. I have one Sony vaio with update windows 8.1 and I have a problem. Mu Store don´t load, stuck in load icon and don´t open. I try with all steps I found in Google. SFC /SCANNOW, WSReset.exe, run the app, try this...
Windows Wont load? in General Support
Hi, Iv just had a problem where my user profile wont load. And i ended up fixed and now if i turn on my computer it will load a black screen. and it will stay on the black screen for a while then my computer will restart and do the same thing. If i get my computer into safe-mode it will work...
Windows Store won't load. in General Support
Hello! I am having some trouble with the Windows Store. It just continuously shows the loading screen and if I look at the task bar there are 2 windows stores there. If I close one, then open the other, the one I closed comes back. But if I close the other they both close. Any help? ...
Hello there, basically, i cannot load into windows when i attach my third hard drive to the computer, I have disabled automatic startup via the command prompt, but it still will not boot, My main hard drives are 2x Western Digital Blue 1TB in RAID 0 and the hard drive that fails to work with...
My pc shut off today all of a sudden, it was running normally, and next time power on windows would not start up normally. the power turn on as normal, windows 8 blue logo show up with circle running for 3 seconds, then screen would show a sign losing signal from monitor, then screen would turn...
I have two versions of a software program and the 64 bit version wont install on Windows 8 but the 32 bit version will. The 64 bit version installs and when I double the icon the small 'thinking' circle appears next to the curser and spins for a second or two then it stops and nothing happens. I...
Solved Windows 8 apps won´t load in Software and Apps
Hello, I have a problem: I rebooted my computer because it was getting slow. But then when I tried to open the apps I installed, they didn´t load, and the apps appear with a cross and the names are for example: AppexNews, Microsoft.WindowsLive.Hotmail, AppexMaps...I have an image of my screen to...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook