Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Virtual printer

  1. #1


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8

    Virtual printer


    I often use a virtual printer to print documents to a file in various formats (don't ask why - its a long story).
    I have tried several with my new Windows8 system - including "Paperless Printer" PDFPint and ZAN, - and none of them seem to work. They don't give an error on installation, they just don't show up on the printer list. I have tried installing them under different compatibility modes and as administrator.
    Does anybody know:-
    1) is there some reason why these dont work with Win 8?
    2) is there an additional step, procedure, trick etc I need to get them to work?
    3) Are there any that do work with Win8?

    Thanks

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 22,582
    64-bit Windows 10


    Hello dvilla, and welcome to Eight Forums.

    You might see if doing the same in the blue Note box under step 2 in the tutorial below for the Microsoft XPS Document Writer may work for you as well with these other virtual printers.

    Microsoft XPS Document Writer - Print to XPS File - Windows 7 Forums
    Hope this helps,
    Shawn
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello dvilla, and welcome to Eight Forums.

    You might see if doing the same in the blue Note box under step 2 in the tutorial below for the Microsoft XPS Document Writer may work for you as well with these other virtual printers.

    Microsoft XPS Document Writer - Print to XPS File - Windows 7 Forums
    Hope this helps,
    Shawn
    Thanks for the reply, Shawn.

    The problem is that I don't see the virtual printer in the printer list.
    While I do see the Microsoft Document Writer, I was hoping for more flexibility in output formats than just XPS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Thanks, Hopachi

    That worked and I should be able to use it (I can convert from PDF to other formats).
    Still, its a pity Microsoft can't get its compatibility issues right.
    I appreciate the advice, though.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 22,582
    64-bit Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by dvilla View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello dvilla, and welcome to Eight Forums.

    You might see if doing the same in the blue Note box under step 2 in the tutorial below for the Microsoft XPS Document Writer may work for you as well with these other virtual printers.

    Microsoft XPS Document Writer - Print to XPS File - Windows 7 Forums
    Hope this helps,
    Shawn
    Thanks for the reply, Shawn.

    The problem is that I don't see the virtual printer in the printer list.
    While I do see the Microsoft Document Writer, I was hoping for more flexibility in output formats than just XPS.
    Was the virtual printer listed in Devices and Printers (Control Panel) though?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Was the virtual printer listed in Devices and Printers (Control Panel) though?
    No, it wasn't. I wasn't able to add it, either (mainly because I wasn't sure how - ie what to put in as drivers, ports, etc)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 22,582
    64-bit Windows 10


    Hopachi's method would be best since the others didn't add themselves automatically for whatever reason.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Virtual printer
Related Threads
Hi there If you use one of these there is a driver for it on the Epson site for Windows 8.1 but download THE DRIVER not the utility. When installing you need to watch the popup window very quickly and select MANUAL when it asks you to choose the port (USB connection). If you don't do this the...
Hi there everyone! Windows 8 machine sharing printer with 8 and 7 machine. Under Advanced sharing settins, I've enabled Network sharing in private, public/guest and all networks and disabled password protected sharing. Under printer properties, I have selected to share the printer under the...
Hello, I have an Epson color 580 printer from like 15 years ago. Worked great with XP. When I tried to print with W8.1, it directed me to save the file as an .xps or something. I couldn't get the .xps to print. I did some reasearch and people said to disable the windows .xps viewer or...
Virtual Box in Virtualization
When I try to install 8.1 in virtual box I get the following error I have also executed this command https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56196&p=260136 But still I get the same error message 23817
Solved How much virtual ram shall i have? in Performance & Maintenance
Hi! I have a question about virtual ram on W8. Here are my PC specs: http://i49.tinypic.com/1zww44.png As you can see i have 3 GB RAM, but the computer isn't as fast as i want it to be, but it's quite old. Anyways can you have as much virtual ram as you want or do you have to keep the limit on...
Hi there (note Pos in title of post means Possible -- not the other meaning often shortend to pos !!). Not being able to share printers easily WILL be a drawback. I've run into what I hope is MY error but I can't see any way around this Computer is running W8 Development Preview X-64 ...
Windows 8 Doesn?t Support Windows Virtual PC or Virtual PC 2007 - Softpedia
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook