Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Refresh Windows 8 - Set a Custom Recovery Image as Active

  1. #60


    Posts : 22,576
    64-bit Windows 10


    You're most welcome. Glad we could help.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #61


    Posts : 18
    Windows 8.1


    Okie dokie, I have done all this but still need further assistance.

    When I try to make a Recovery Drive the option to 'Copy the Recovery Partition' is greyed out.

    I found this page which explains the same situation: Windows 8.1 - Unable to "Copy Recovery Partition" when building Recovery Drive? - KeithMayer.com - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

    I have tried to follow this by substituting INSTALL.WIM for CustomRefresh.wim but it does not work.

    Am I missing something or is it not possible to store the CustomRefresh image on the Recovery Drive?

    Regards..,
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #62


    Posts : 4
    Windows 8.1 64 bit

    Registering install .wim


    Quote Originally Posted by 1CM69 View Post
    Okie dokie, I have done all this but still need further assistance.
    I have tried to follow this by substituting INSTALL.WIM for CustomRefresh.wim but it does not work.
    Am I missing something or is it not possible to store the CustomRefresh image on the Recovery Drive?
    Regards..,
    Don't substitute. Create a new directory something like. Then copy your install.wim
    D:\Original_Win\install.wim
    Run this command in Administrator dos prompt
    C:\Windows\System32\reagentc /setosimage /path D:\Original_Win /target C:\Windows /index 1
    That will register where the install.wim is located.
    If you want to create a customized install.wim than you can use this command in Windows PE to capture the Windows
    image of your current windows. I would experiment with just the install.wim from the installation CD first.
    Dism /Capture-Image /ImageFile:"D:\Original_Win\install.wim" /CaptureDir:C:\ /Name:"Windows8.1_x64_Pro"
    Hope this helps. Microsoft seems to make this harder than it should be.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #63


    Posts : 22,576
    64-bit Windows 10


    In addition, you won't be able to copy the custom refresh image to a recovery drive. The 'Copy the Recovery Partition' is for the OEM factory recovery partition instead.

    Instead, you could use the recovery drive to boot from to "Refresh" Windows that would then use the currently registered custom recovery image.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #64


    Posts : 18
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by prz42 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1CM69 View Post
    Okie dokie, I have done all this but still need further assistance.
    I have tried to follow this by substituting INSTALL.WIM for CustomRefresh.wim but it does not work.
    Am I missing something or is it not possible to store the CustomRefresh image on the Recovery Drive?
    Regards..,
    Don't substitute. Create a new directory something like. Then copy your install.wim
    D:\Original_Win\install.wim
    Run this command in Administrator dos prompt
    C:\Windows\System32\reagentc /setosimage /path D:\Original_Win /target C:\Windows /index 1
    That will register where the install.wim is located.
    If you want to create a customized install.wim than you can use this command in Windows PE to capture the Windows
    image of your current windows. I would experiment with just the install.wim from the installation CD first.
    Dism /Capture-Image /ImageFile:"D:\Original_Win\install.wim" /CaptureDir:C:\ /Name:"Windows8.1_x64_Pro"
    Hope this helps. Microsoft seems to make this harder than it should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    In addition, you won't be able to copy the custom refresh image to a recovery drive. The 'Copy the Recovery Partition' is for the OEM factory recovery partition instead.

    Instead, you could use the recovery drive to boot from to "Refresh" Windows that would then use the currently registered custom recovery image.
    Thanks guys.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #65


    Posts : 12
    WINDOWS 8


    how to convert this recovery image to ISO and then dvd or cd
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #66


    Posts : 2,690
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by RAYQUEST View Post
    how to convert this recovery image to ISO and then dvd or cd
    once you create the custom recovery image

    you can TRY
    going into control panel - recovery - create a recovery drive..

    Recovery Drive - Create with USB Flash Drive in Windows 8

    Know that method works with a Recovery Partition... Not sure will work with a custom recovery image
    Last edited by Brink; 04 Dec 2015 at 12:31. Reason: added tutorial link
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Refresh Windows 8 - Set a Custom Recovery Image as Active
Related Threads
How to Create a Custom Recovery Image to Use to Refresh Windows 8 and 8.1 This tutorial will show you how to create and register a custom recovery image to use instead of default when you refresh your Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1, and Windows 8.1 RT PC. You must be logged in as an...
Hi I have a Toshiba L875-12v Serial Number ZC317533R I discovered that the windows reagentc was disabled then I enabled it then when I clicked refresh your computer without affecting your files it came out with there was a problem refreshing your pc please help I want to go back to windows 8
No active custom recovery image in Performance & Maintenance
When I entered recimg/showcurrent in elevated cmd , I get the message : There is no active custom recovery image. However when I checked disk management , I get the following partitions: EFI System 50mb OEM 40mb Recovery Partition 2GB OS C ...
Can not set custom recovery image in Performance & Maintenance
Hello gang. I created a custom refresh image the day before upgrading to 8.1. I am having shut down and sleep issues with windows 8.1 that I don't have time to troubleshoot any longer and I wish to go back to win 8 for now. I went to check that my image was there and active and this is what i get:...
Q? approx size of Custom Recovery Image in Performance & Maintenance
What is the saved file space needed for a typical Custom Recovery Image? Reason I ask is my Lenovo laptop has a 15gb hidden partition... their famous one key reset, a magic reset button, that probably is broken now that I upgraded win7 to win8. I'm thinking unhide the drive with PTedit and...
How to Display Path of Current Active Recovery Image Used to Refresh Windows 8 and 8.1 A custom recovery image contains the desktop apps you've installed, and the Windows system files in their current state. Recovery images do not contain your documents, personal settings, user profiles, or apps...
How to Deregister the Current Custom Recovery Image to Refresh Windows 8 and 8.1 A custom recovery image contains the desktop apps you've installed, and the Windows system files in their current state. Recovery images do not contain your documents, personal settings, user profiles, or apps from...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook