Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


System Image Recovery - Restore Image on Computer in Windows 8

  1. #50


    Greece
    Posts : 341
    Win8.1 64bit, Windows 10 TP on VMWare Player


    I did choose the option to image all local drives, not the one to image what is needed to restore Windows. I'm not sure which option I chose the first time I tried this, as it was at the beginning of June. I haven't made any changes to the laptop (partitions for example) as I don't really understand these and don't know why I would need them, so I don't know if the 2 options would be any different in my case .

    I read your tutorial. I have created the Macrium DVD and checked that it can be used to boot the laptop but I haven't added the boot menu option for Macrium or changed the boot menu in any way.

    I wasn't sure whether I should just change it to boot from a USB or DVD first (can I do both?) or just rely on using F12 to get into the boot options if I actually need to do any repair or recovery.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #51


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    The Macrium boot environment will save you a few headaches.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #52


    VA USA
    Posts : 349
    W8.1up1 Pro x64 w/media center


    Check out this new program, it may be something your looking for.

    One Key Recovery - Create a Factory Restore Partition with AOMEI OneKey Recovery
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #53


    Greece
    Posts : 341
    Win8.1 64bit, Windows 10 TP on VMWare Player


    Quote Originally Posted by HOODY View Post
    Check out this new program, it may be something your looking for.

    One Key Recovery - Create a Factory Restore Partition with AOMEI OneKey Recovery
    Thank you Hoody. Not sure I'm up to using something that's still at the beta stage but I will keep this in mind.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #54


    Greece
    Posts : 341
    Win8.1 64bit, Windows 10 TP on VMWare Player


    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    The Macrium boot environment will save you a few headaches.
    I have looked at the information on the Macrium site about the boot option, and to be honest I'm not sure what exactly this would add to what I have already. See screenshot below:



    It seems that the boot option allows restoration of the system without the need to use a CD. However at the bottom it advises to also create the CD in case of disk failure or to upgrade. So presumably the boot option is not for all situations. Is that correct?

    And if I am unable to successfully create a System Image through Macrium then I guess it doesn't matter whether I have the boot menu option and/or the CD as neither will be of any use to me . And short of keep trying to make the System Image and hoping it will succeed at some point I'm not sure what to do now as regards Macrium.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #55


    Posts : 1
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Hi everyone!
    I recently bought new ultrabook (just a week ago ) and also switched to Win 8.1 Pro on my desktop PC. And I'm little frustrated about system restore over network. I created system image for my ultrabook through network on my PC. Then I tried to restore, but couldn't get to correct directory (there is no browse functionality when booted from USB for recovering). I guess I get the dirrectory, or part of it, right, cause I was asked for "Network Credentials" and that's where I'm stuck right now. I just don't know what username and pasword I need to provide. While I created System image I was asked for user and pas, but it is not working. And my Mycrosoft account username and pas also doesn't work. And when I try it, it changes the Domain
    BTY, I can easily acces Image directory when I login to windows.

    I have read many articles about Recovery/Restore and I think I can handle the process, but information about restore through network is scarse and hart to find. This tutorial was really helpfull and I hope I can get some more clarification from someone with more expirience in this process.

    Edu_Puixa
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #56


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by SaggyMaggyPoo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    The Macrium boot environment will save you a few headaches.
    I have looked at the information on the Macrium site about the boot option, and to be honest I'm not sure what exactly this would add to what I have already. See screenshot below:



    It seems that the boot option allows restoration of the system without the need to use a CD. However at the bottom it advises to also create the CD in case of disk failure or to upgrade. So presumably the boot option is not for all situations. Is that correct?

    And if I am unable to successfully create a System Image through Macrium then I guess it doesn't matter whether I have the boot menu option and/or the CD as neither will be of any use to me . And short of keep trying to make the System Image and hoping it will succeed at some point I'm not sure what to do now as regards Macrium.
    The boot option really helps to restore easily.

    After you format your usb as NTFS & make your image you just insert the usb & restart to get the Macrium boot environment where you select the inserted usb & proceed to restore your computer.

    With maximum compression I can make an image on a 32 GB usb.{around 21 GBs}

    Your screenshot is out of date---

    Click image for larger version

    See this link---

    Using Macrium Reflect

    & this link---

    How I use MACRIUM
    Last edited by David Bailey; 18 Sep 2014 at 11:24.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #57


    Greece
    Posts : 341
    Win8.1 64bit, Windows 10 TP on VMWare Player


    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post

    The boot option really helps to restore easily.

    After you format your usb as NTFS & make your image you just insert the usb & restart to get the Macrium boot environment where you select the inserted usb & proceed to restore your computer.

    With maximum compression I can make an image on a 32 GB usb.{around 21 GBs}

    Your screenshot is out of date---

    Click image for larger version

    See this link---

    Using Macrium Reflect

    & this link---

    How I use MACRIUM
    Thanks for this, David.

    My out of date screenshot was from the Macrium site. When I created my recovery cd it was Windows PE 5.0.

    I haven't done anything more with Macrium because I never resolved the problem with it working on my second laptop, but your information is helping to add to my knowledge. Interesting that you are backing up over 50gb onto a 32gb usb. My backups are around 80gb so I think an external HDD will probably work better for me.

    Do you have your recovery media (as recommended in case of hard disk failure) on the same usb? And do you overwrite the image with a new one, or use a different usb.

    I watched your video and saw you were working on it at 5am on a Monday morning. What's wrong with sleeping?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #58


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Do you have your recovery media (as recommended in case of hard disk failure) on the same usb? And do you overwrite the image with a new one, or use a different usb.

    I watched your video and saw you were working on it at 5am on a Monday morning. What's wrong with sleeping?
    I have it on a separate usb.

    When making a new image I format the usb first.
    That wipes out the old image & makes room for the new one.
    I keep 2 images at all times.

    I'm retired.
    My sleep habits vary.
    I can stay up or sleep as I wish.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #59


    Greece
    Posts : 341
    Win8.1 64bit, Windows 10 TP on VMWare Player


    I watched your video and saw you were working on it at 5am on a Monday morning. What's wrong with sleeping?

    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    I'm retired.
    My sleep habits vary.
    I can stay up or sleep as I wish.
    Well sort of: not old enough to retire but not working. But I seem to sleep more. Fortunately my headaches with my laptops don't stop me snoozing well into the morning
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
System Image Recovery - Restore Image on Computer in Windows 8
Related Threads
I did a windows system image back up on our windows 8 PC before we had to send our HP All-In-One to HP to replace a broken hard drive (we have only had the computer for less than 6 months, arghh!). They also told me to wipe the computer prior to sending it so no personal information was on the...
System Image restore cannot detect image in Performance & Maintenance
Hi everyone, I have been trying to restore to a system image located on my had drive, i boot up into the recovery tool and select system image recovery, Once the box opens up it begins searching for an image to restore to. But every time i get an error saying windows can not find a system image...
Although I have been able to make a full disk image using the built in "system image" option, I can not find any way to restore it. The recovery options only point to system restore and refresh PC. I'm navigating to <control panel> and then <file history> to access the recovery options. I can not...
Solved Can not restore Windows 8.1 System Image in Performance & Maintenance
I made a system image from Windows 8.1 using Windows' own system image feature. I seem to be unable to restore it. I booted with the Windows 8 disc, and told it to restore from a system image. It found the image, ran a few minutes, then failed because of version mismatch (?). Not before hosing the...
I have spent most of the past 12 hours trying to restore my win8pro system from a system image. the image was saved to a usb hard drive. win8pro system image recovery won't see the usb hard drive. I tried copying the backup to a drive on my network, but recovery won't see that either, even when...
I've been dual-booting Windows 8 Pro and Windows 7 Ultimate, but a while back my Windows 8 kind of went "South" and wouldn't boot at all (I got an error message that a device was "not attached"). I have a recent system image on an external USB hard drive, but when I boot to "system recovery" using...
Solved system image recovery in windows 8 pro in Performance & Maintenance
Hello I am kasinath. I went thro' the tutorials. After creating system image to an external hard disk from "windows 7 recovery" ,Suppose I am not able to boot to windows 8,the advanced option thro' system recovery option is not available,when we boot thro' system recovery disc,then...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook