Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


System Image - Create in Windows 8

  1. #180


    Posts : 22,576
    64-bit Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by mourinho View Post
    Thanks a lot . That was a super fast reply (from the admin itself). Are you like group of people under 1 name (Brink) or a bot or something? It is a serious question. Please Delete if inappropriate. I have 1 more question on USB recovery drive coming.

    Thanks!
    Nope, it's just me.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #181


    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Just create the Macrium recovery environment & on reboot it appears & you choose it to boot from & use your usb image to restore your computer.
    By Macrium recovery environment you mean a create a recovery drive to boot from (using Macrium Rescue Environment option Windows PE 5.0)and use the image on the USB to restore the C: partition correct?

    Thanks!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #182


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    @ mourinho,
    Yes, you could do that.

    @ Shawn,
    I haven't looked at windows system image in a while. Just gave it a whirl. MS have made some changes, I was under the impression they ceased developing it. It seems not. Unfortunately, it breaks compatibility.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #183


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by mourinho View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Just create the Macrium recovery environment & on reboot it appears & you choose it to boot from & use your usb image to restore your computer.
    By Macrium recovery environment you mean a create a recovery drive to boot from (using Macrium Rescue Environment option Windows PE 5.0)and use the image on the USB to restore the C: partition correct?

    Thanks!
    We are kept in chains in the cellar like the Disney animators.
    Just kidding.

    This recovery environment:

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #184


    Posts : 22,576
    64-bit Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    @ Shawn,
    I haven't looked at windows system image in a while. Just gave it a whirl. MS have made some changes, I was under the impression they ceased developing it. It seems not. Unfortunately, it breaks compatibility.
    What compatibility did it break for yout?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #185


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    David, I don't think that comes with the free version.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #186


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    8.1.1 or whatever it is called now creates vhdx files. Can't restore those from win7 or win7 boot media. When it was vhd files, you could.

    Did you notice when that changed? They have also added a bunch of hyper v options into wbadmin. It is still labelled wbadmin v1.0, oddly.

    The good news is that the new pguru free version can mount vhdx.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #187


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    David, I don't think that comes with the free version.
    It's time to break the piggy bank & get the paid version.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #188


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    LOL. Not sure how many people want an extra boot menu entry hanging around.

    You can add it yourself using bcdedit easily enough.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #189


    Posts : 22,576
    64-bit Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    8.1.1 or whatever it is called now creates vhdx files. Can't restore those from win7 or win7 boot media. When it was vhd files, you could.

    Did you notice when that changed? They have also added a bunch of hyper v options into wbadmin. It is still labelled wbadmin v1.0, oddly.

    The good news is that the new pguru free version can mount vhdx.
    Ah, yeah a system image recovery with .vhdx files could only be done with Windows 8.1 installation/recovery media.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
System Image - Create in Windows 8
Related Threads
Create a system image in Performance & Maintenance
I'm using the original Win 8 . . . I just did this: Control Panel / Win 7 File Recovery / Create a system image 40.33 GB (estimate) . . . 30.2 GB actual . . . 18 files, 5 folders . . . took 26 minutes * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Questions: 1.) Will it get a true copy of the Registry? ...
Hello, Trying to create a System Image Backup on a Windows 8.1 ACER laptop. My latest attempt is to a external hard drive with 3.63 TB free but the backup fails due to not enough disk . I have attached the full error message. New to the ways of Windows 8 and this is my first time trying...
Cannot create system image in Performance & Maintenance
On a friend's new Dell Windows 8 desktop I tried to create a system image using Windows 7 File Recovery. I got a message saying it could not create the image. The message said "windows backup failed to get an exclusive lock on the efi system partition". Any ideas what I might try? Thanks
I thought 8.1 was supposed to make things easier? Not so for creating a System Image. Now, you have to use the Windows PowerShell (Admin) to get the job done. The image below will show the command string to use (boxed in red) and my target drive is/was Z: 23893 Zoom image to enlarge please. ...
Just like the title, how do I create a system image on windows 8.1? I have installed Windows 8.1 and have all my settings and programs just how I like it but I cant see how to create a system image. Can anyone help? Cheers
Error while trying to create a system image in Performance & Maintenance
This is my first time posting here so please forgive any omissions. I just purchased a new laptop with windows 8 preinstalled. It has no data on it and I've only installed MS Office 2007 and Outlook 2010. Apart from that, everything is brand spanking new. I wanted to create a system image so...
Hello again to all. Can anyone please explain because this a little bit confuses me, CREATING a SYSTEM IMAGE, now that I have a DUAL BOOT win7-win8 OS. >>I want to know if I CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE via windows 7 (my default OS), and then later, if ever I RESTORE THIS CREATED SYSTEM IMAGE, will the...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook