Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 8

  1. #30


    Posts : 17
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64b


    I have problems with the hybrid boot and sadly this was the only thing that attracted me to Win 8. When i tried the beta last year the boot was outstanding, now with the final version the boot is almost similar to Windows 8.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #31


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    If you guys have a motherboard with UEFI, then also check to see if Fast Boot is enabled in UEFI as well.
    Thanks Shawn.

    This has to be it!

    But I don't see any option after searching all BIOS.
    This is a HP dv6 envy laptop.

    I'll look at the HP settings, somewhere I think I saw that option but I'm not sure where.

    Regards
    Hopachi
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #32


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    If you guys have a motherboard with UEFI, then also check to see if Fast Boot is enabled in UEFI as well.
    Thanks Shawn.

    This has to be it!

    But I don't see any option after searching all BIOS.
    This is a HP dv6 envy laptop.

    I'll look at the HP settings, somewhere I think I saw that option but I'm not sure where.

    Regards
    Hopachi
    On my test rig, comes under BOOT> Quick Boot.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #33


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    If you guys have a motherboard with UEFI, then also check to see if Fast Boot is enabled in UEFI as well.
    Thanks Shawn.

    This has to be it!

    But I don't see any option after searching all BIOS.
    This is a HP dv6 envy laptop.

    I'll look at the HP settings, somewhere I think I saw that option but I'm not sure where.

    Regards
    Hopachi
    On my test rig, comes under BOOT> Quick Boot.
    Thanks Ray.

    This is a laptop and there is only "System Configuration" -> boot -> secure boot / legacy /uefi
    No "quick boot" or "fast boot" anywhere.

    On the OS, the hybrid setting is already on. The swapfile.sys is already on C: drive but the boot speed is the same as without it.
    That's why I think it's not working.

    As Shawn suggested and many other searches on Google state the existence of BIOS options... that are not found on some laptops (as mine).

    If HP hides extra BIOS options than that is some bad news.

    Hopachi
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #34


    Posts : 22,568
    64-bit Windows 10


    You'll still be able to use and have "Fast Startup" in Windows 8 though.

    The "Quick Boot" or "Fast Boot" feature in UEFI just makes it that much faster. That's all.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #35


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    You'll still be able to use and have "Fast Startup" in Windows 8 though.

    The "Quick Boot" or "Fast Boot" feature in UEFI just makes it that much faster. That's all.
    how do we tell if we have this 'fast boot' option?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #36


    Posts : 22,568
    64-bit Windows 10


    By if it's listed in your UEFI/BIOS or not. You could also read your motherboard's manual about it's UEFI/BIOS to see if it's available.

    Here's some more info about this.

    Designing for PCs that boot faster than ever before - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #37


    ....what manual? and how do I access my bios from within windows? doing it at boot isnt exactly easy with windows 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #38


    Posts : 17
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64b


    I have it enabled, but i don't see an improvement in boot speed and i remember that when i installed the beta the boot time was amazing, like 8 or 10 seconds. But the final version takes 20 seconds to 25, a time that i experienced before with Win 7, so is a strange issue with the final version? i have not read any official statement from Microsoft.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #39


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by LM2007 View Post
    I have it enabled, but i don't see an improvement in boot speed and i remember that when i installed the beta the boot time was amazing, like 8 or 10 seconds. But the final version takes 20 seconds to 25, a time that i experienced before with Win 7, so is a strange issue with the final version? i have not read any official statement from Microsoft.
    I got the same thing here. (IF) It is simply not working and that you can tell by looking into Task Manager -> Processor:
    -see the up-time of the system.

    Right after boot I see about 1 minute all the time, but when it worked (unfortunately other pc with clean install) I had about 6 days up-time because the counter doesn't reset after hybrid-boot. This boot was around 20seconds on IDE HDD + classic BIOS.

    The new system has SATA and UEFI.
    Too bad the SATA doesn't beat IDE in my case...

    Still looking at all kind of settings and documentation.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 8
Related Threads
I'm not sure what's exactly the problem but sometimes Windows 8.1 hangs at the Windows logo at boot with Fast Startup enabled on a mSATA SSD with my Lenovo Y570 laptop. My laptop does not support Secure Boot/GPT or UEFI, so I'm really unsure if that's the problem. Once I disable Fast Startup...
Hi, I'm having a small issue with the Fast Startup feature with Windows 8.1. I've searched the forums and haven't found any type of help regarding this issue, maybe because nobody else has had this problem. When I boot my computer from Fast Startup, every so often, my Netgear N300 Wireless...
Over the last few days I built a new PC with ASUS A87 Pro MB, no PCIe cards, and Samsung ssd 840 Pro boot drive. Lots of changes on a daily basis. For a while, the FAST STARTUP hybrid boot was working. Then it stopped, and I'm trying to debug it. When PAST STARTUP is enabled in power options, I...
Please see the attached logs. This is a fresh installation of Windows 8. System Specs is on my user profile.
In Windows Event Viewer I'm getting this error: Windows can not easily be started with the error status 0xC00000D4. The problem is that fast startup that is included in windows 8 doesn't work (that's why I get this error) but I can't seem to solve it :( Can someone help me out? My motherboard is...
How to Force "Fast Startup" to Always be Turned On in Windows 8 and 8.1 Fast Startup (aka: hybrid boot or hybrid Shutdown) is a new feature in Windows 8 to help your PC start up faster after shutting down. When turned on, Windows 8 does this by using a hybrid shutdown (a partial hibernate)...
Read more - Microsoft: Windows 8 PCs Will Turn on Fast, Nearly Instant - According to leaked documentation - Softpedia
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook