Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Recovery Drive - Create with USB Flash Drive in Windows 8

  1. #70


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    On newer OEM PC's with Pre-install Windows 8 you may have the option to Reinstall in the OEM manufacturer's tools.
    If the Recovery Partition is still in place.

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version
    Last edited by theog; 28 Sep 2013 at 06:32.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #71


    Posts : 22,564
    64-bit Windows 10


    Thank you Ray. I wonder if it'll still work the same way it did through "Reset your PC" for the factory recovery.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #72


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Thank you Ray. I wonder if it'll still work the same way it did through "Reset your PC" for the factory recovery.
    Just setup one of my Grand Kids new SONY Nootbook, but she has to wait for 8.1.

    1) Windows Recovery USB drive will not Reset without Recovery Partition or do a Reinstall Factory Recovery to a clean HDD.
    You will receive a ERROR when the Recovery Partition is DELETED.

    Click image for larger version
    or
    Click image for larger version
    or
    Click image for larger version

    2) SONY Recovery USB drive will Reset with Recovery Partition, & Reinstall Factory Recovery to a clean HDD.

    3) SONY Recovery DVD (set of four) will Reset with Recovery Partition, & Reinstall Factory Recovery to a clean HDD.
    Last edited by theog; 29 Sep 2013 at 10:31.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #73


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Windows Recovery USB drive will not Reset without Recovery Partition or do a Reinstall Factory Recovery to a clean HDD.
    Not much use. I would like to get hold of one of those and see what they are up to. I don't anyone who has an 8 pc now.




    I assume the Sony recov usb will reset and reinstall without the recovery partition?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #74


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Windows Recovery USB drive will not Reset without Recovery Partition or do a Reinstall Factory Recovery to a clean HDD.
    Not much use. I would like to get hold of one of those and see what they are up to. I don't anyone who has an 8 pc now.




    I assume the Sony recov usb will reset and reinstall without the recovery partition?
    Only tested the SONY Recovery USB drive on a wiped HDD, Restores OK. & DVD's are OK.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #75


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Windows Recovery USB drive will not Reset without Recovery Partition or do a Reinstall Factory Recovery to a clean HDD.
    Not much use. I would like to get hold of one of those and see what they are up to. I don't anyone who has an 8 pc now.




    I assume the Sony recov usb will reset and reinstall without the recovery partition?
    Only tested the SONY Recovery USB drive on a wiped HDD, Restores OK. & DVD's are OK.
    The SONY Recovery USB drive & SONY Recovery DVD's, will not REFRESH or RESET without the Recovery Partition.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #76


    USA
    Posts : 689
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Hey Shawn could you look at these two posts and provide some clarification?

    Recovery Drive - Create with USB Flash Drive in Windows 8

    I created the flash drive image a while back and still have it; about two week ago however I did a clean install of 8.1, and now when I tried to test what alphanumeric said, I get no option to recover the factory image from the hidden partition. If I tried using the flash drive, would that allow me to recover the drive?

    Would like to know because if I can't recover the partition I might as well delete it and recover the space.


    Thanks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #77


    Posts : 22,564
    64-bit Windows 10


    Hello Drew,

    Yeah, if you wiped the recovery partition when you did the clean install, you wouldn't have the option to copy the contents of the recovery partition anymore since it's no longer there.

    It has been reported by many that they were unable to restore Windows 8 to the hard drive using the recover USB drive without the OEM factory recovery partition still in tact, so I'm not sure if you will be able to recovery Windows 8 with the recovery USB drive.

    You could give it a try and see, but be sure to back up anything that you do not want to lose first.


    EDIT:

    Another option would be to create a system image to have to be able do a system image recovery as needed though.

    You could also create a custom recovery image to refresh Windows with as needed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #78


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Hi Shawn & Drew

    ASUS now have a recovery app .



    Create Factory Restore Disc?


    Quote Originally Posted by awindowsdummy
    Update: I e-mailed ASUS support and they gave me a Windows program to do it. Thanks!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #79


    USA
    Posts : 689
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Hi Shawn, to clarify I didn't delete the recovery partition as I remember, I just copied the contents to the OS drive, leaving the other drives intact. However alphanumeric is saying that being that I did a clean install I wiped the boot info pointing to the partition for the recovery, and so now the recovery doesn't know where to find the files. If that makes sense.

    I tried using the USB flash files, but got a missing drive message, so this to me is clearly saying it can't find the partition. BTW I should have chosen to copy the contents of the drive when I had the chance but didn't, so I don't even have the partition contents on the flash drive

    As you say, I'll just have to create a custom image.

    Thanks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Recovery Drive - Create with USB Flash Drive in Windows 8
Related Threads
How to Create a Bootable UEFI USB Flash Drive for Installing Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1 This tutorial will show you how to create a Windows 7 or Windows 8 or 8.1 installation bootable USB flash drive for UEFI from either a Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 installation ISO or DVD. ...
How to Create a Password Reset Disk on a USB Flash Drive in Windows 8 and 8.1 This will show you how to create a password reset disk on a USB flash drive that you could use to reset the password for your local user account with if forgotten in Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1, and Windows RT...
I have a WinBook TW700 that I got from Microcenter on Black Friday. I was reading an article on How to Geek that said you can copy the Recovery partition to a flash drive so that the space it occupies on the tablet itself can be reclaimed. The only issue I'm running into is it doesn't give me the...
Note to Mods: If this is not the appropriate forum please feel free to move it ...(I'm new here) ... Thanks I recently bought a Dell Windows 8 desktop. I upgraded the desktop to Windows 8.1. I want to create a recovery drive using a DVD rather than a flash drive. (I understand Microsoft wants...
What size flash drive do I need?
I'm in the process of moving to an SSD and need to create a backup drive in order to repair the BIOS after transferring everything. However, when I try to create one - the create a recovery drive program won't recognize the flash drive I have connected as a flash drive. I first tried with a...
Recovery drive won't allow me to use my 8 gb flash drive. It doesn't even recognize it. It will only recognize it when i uncheck the "Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive. I'm assuming this is because unchecked needs 512mb and checked needs 8gb, but like I said I am using...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook