Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


User Profiles - Relocate to another Partition or Disk

  1. #360


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by challgren View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikh View Post
    Thank you challgren! Let me know how it goes for you. I won't be able to do this for another 5 hours, so I'm hoping everything goes well for you .
    As Brink said move your large docs and files to a different directory to save time when Windows moves the files back. It took almost 40 minutes to move all my docs to my SSD drive
    So windows will move the directory back when you sys prep back to the C drive? And yeah I plan on doing that before i manually copied my home directory anyway.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #361


    Texas
    Posts : 6
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Sikh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by challgren View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikh View Post
    Thank you challgren! Let me know how it goes for you. I won't be able to do this for another 5 hours, so I'm hoping everything goes well for you .
    As Brink said move your large docs and files to a different directory to save time when Windows moves the files back. It took almost 40 minutes to move all my docs to my SSD drive
    So windows will move the directory back when you sys prep back to the C drive? And yeah I plan on doing that before i manually copied my home directory anyway.

    Yes follow the steps in the beginning of the tutorial but replace the D: or E: drive to C: drive. Then run sysprep in audit mode with the relocate.xml file. Once in switch it to OOBE mode. Once you enter OOBE mode it will copy the folders over and then reboot again. After that time you'll be at the Welcome to Windows setup screen. Just create a test account as your old accounts will still be on the computer. Then login to windows and install the Windows 8.1 update from the store
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #362


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8


    I didn't think it would copy over in OOBE thats why I was curious. Thanks for the info Challgren.

    Brink, thanks for the welcome and thank you for your input.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #363


    Texas
    Posts : 6
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Sikh View Post
    I didn't think it would copy over in OOBE thats why I was curious. Thanks for the info Challgren.

    Brink, thanks for the welcome and thank you for your input.
    Ok so now that I have 8.1 installed looks like its impossible to run sysprep on it since its been "updated" I'm still looking into it but will report back if I get anywhere with it
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #364


    Posts : 1
    windows

    Hot to update to 8.1 without moving your profile


    I had updated to 8.1 without moving my User folder. But it did require few steps before doing update

    1. Follow the guide Here to change (using regedit) the default locations of the user profiles to %SystemDrive%\Users.
    2. Create a new TEMP user with MS account as admin.
    3. Login to windows with newly created TEMP account.
    4. Update windows through Store, doing all the steps under the new TEMP account.
    5. When update is finished change the registry for your profile back to old location (supposedly another drive).
    6. Restart and login with your old account (the one you actually use).
    7. Previously created account can be deleted (incl. all the data/files).


    UPDATE:
    No problem with an old (moved) account, but potentially there will be a need to reinstall all windows metro apps like mail, calendar, etc. Other apps like games work without problem.
    Last edited by gnusman; 17 Oct 2013 at 23:42.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #365


    Posts : 1
    Windows 8


    Hello everyone, I just built a new computer with an SSD and HDD. I had installed Windows 8 on the SSD but because of the limited space it has, I wanted to move the Users folder to my HDD. I followed all the direction up to part 2.3. For some reason my mouse and keyboard are not being detected by my computer anymore after the reboot to audit mode. Anyone know how to have my computer recognize my preripherals again so I may complete the relocation process?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #366


    Posts : 1
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by challgren View Post
    Ok so now that I have 8.1 installed looks like its impossible to run sysprep on it since its been "updated" I'm still looking into it but will report back if I get anywhere with it
    Exact same issue here too. had already moved my users folder off of the SSD when on windows 8, but had to move it back to C: drive to upgrade to 8.1... Now sysprep says: "Sysprep will not run on an upgraded OS. You can only run Sysprep on a custom (clean) install version of Windows." in its error log.

    Hope theres a work around for this :/
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #367


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by gnusman View Post
    I had updated to 8.1 without moving my User folder. But it did require few steps before doing update

    1. Follow the guide Here to change (using regedit) the default locations of the user profiles to %SystemDrive%\Users.
    2. Create a new TEMP user with MS account as admin.
    3. Login to windows with newly created TEMP account.
    4. Update windows through Store, doing all the steps under the new TEMP account.
    5. When update is finished change the registry for your profile back to old location (supposedly another drive).
    6. Restart and login with your old account (the one you actually use).
    7. Previously created account can be deleted (incl. all the data/files).


    So far no problems with an old account.
    This is exactly what I was looking for. Ive done it with windows 7 just like this.

    Thanks man! Going to try this in about half hour and report back.

    UPDATE:

    Definitely didnt work. Was logged into temp account which was on C drive. Once it went to install, it gave me the "cant install cause users or program files is moved".

    Since people are having a problem sys prepping an already "non clean" image (which im use to happening), I will just wait for another way to install 8.1.
    Last edited by Sikh; 17 Oct 2013 at 23:00.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #368

    Did not succeed in windows 8.1 Installations


    Quote Originally Posted by gnusman View Post
    I had updated to 8.1 without moving my User folder. But it did require few steps before doing update

    1. Follow the guide Here to change (using regedit) the default locations of the user profiles to %SystemDrive%\Users.
    2. Create a new TEMP user with MS account as admin.
    3. Login to windows with newly created TEMP account.
    4. Update windows through Store, doing all the steps under the new TEMP account.
    5. When update is finished change the registry for your profile back to old location (supposedly another drive).
    6. Restart and login with your old account (the one you actually use).
    7. Previously created account can be deleted (incl. all the data/files).


    UPDATE:
    No problem with an old (moved) account, but potentially there will be a need to reinstall all windows metro apps like mail, calendar, etc. Other apps like games work without problem.
    Did not succeed in installation of windows 8.1; I followed up the option 2 method and created a new user in C: Drive. Restarted the computer and logged in using the new account/user. Even then, got the following error:


    Sorry. It looks like this PC can't run Windows 8.1. This might be because the Users or Program Files Folder is being redirected to another partition.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #369


    Posts : 1
    Windows 8.1


    ```
    Last edited by Dunnoekun; 25 Dec 2014 at 13:35.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 37 of 70 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
User Profiles - Relocate to another Partition or Disk
Related Threads
Solved move User profiles to a different drive in Performance & Maintenance
Hi everyone, So I have a SSD that is loaded with my OS (C: ) and a HDD 1TB.(B: ) I would like to move the User profiles to the HDD. What is the best way to do this?
Don't move your Windows user profiles folder to another drive | ZDNet
Relocate User folders into Google drive folder? in User Accounts and Family Safety
My buddy wants me to relocate his Documents and Pictures folders (by going to Properties/Location tab/Move on those folders) so that they would be in his Google Drive folder, and thereby backed up automatically to the cloud. Has anyone here tried that, or have any thoughts about it? I know that...
I did a Clean Install on a new SSD Drive. When I tried the Relocate User Profiles to another Partition, the System gave me a message that I would have to re-install, but the Windows 8 CD will not re-install. What can I do?
How can I stop the libraries and user folder from expanding when I open Explorer? I used your example and removed the libraries folder, but I did not see one for the user folder.
I just installed chrome via the store on my fresh install and when I use chrome via the metro UI it has a different profile and when I use via the desktop it has a different profile. Its quite annoying as I cant use facebook properly. I have noticed facebook doesn't load properly when using...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook