Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


VHD - Auto-mount at Startup in Windows 8

  1. #20


    Posts : 1
    Windows Server 2012 R2


    Greetings David and all,

    Thanks for the walkthrough. By all rights, it should work for me but it's not.

    Details: Running on Windows Server 2012 R2, logged in as the original Administrator account. Even just testing manually by right-clicking the "start button", choosing "Run" and pasting:

    Code:
    diskpart /s W:\BoxSync-NTFS.vhdx.txt
    appears to quickly open and close the shell, but even if I instead paste:

    Code:
    diskpart /s W:\BoxSync-NTFS.vhdx.txt > W:\diskpart.txt
    I get no log file.

    I am able to manually run diskpart itself from the Run dialog, and then I copied and pasted (via clicking in the upper left corner of the shell windows, choosing Edit and then Paste) exactly what I have in the text file, and indeed it works, including showing up in Windows Explorer:

    Click image for larger version

    Thoughts?

    By the way, in case anyone wonders, the reason why I'm using a VHD for Box Sync is because I'm using an ReFS (file system) with Transparent RAID, and Box Sync refuses to work with ReFS even though all other cloud programs work just fine with it.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #21


    Posts : 959
    Windows 8.1, 10


    Hi there.

    I must admit I don't know why it isn't working. I don't know much about Windows Server and perhaps there's a difference there that's significant.

    One thing to try though - what happens if you try to put the log file in a different folder path?

    So instead of this:
    Quote Originally Posted by roirraWedorehT View Post
    even if I instead paste:

    Code:
    diskpart /s W:\BoxSync-NTFS.vhdx.txt > W:\diskpart.txt
    I get no log file.
    ..what happens if you use a folder on another drive to hold the log? For example, if you had a d:\temp folder, you could try something like:
    Code:
    diskpart /s W:\BoxSync-NTFS.vhdx.txt >D:\temp\diskpart.txt
    That would eliminate the possibility of it having problems accessing W: in the first place, in which case it wouldn't be able to create a log there either.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #22


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8.1


    Hi David
    Thanks for the post, the auto-mount works perfect for me, but I have an issue. If I move say the location of OneDrive to the sdcard, my c drive reduces in same proportion as the space taken by the OneDrive in the sdcard location. How can fix this.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #23


    Posts : 959
    Windows 8.1, 10


    Quote Originally Posted by ashameen View Post
    Hi David
    Thanks for the post, the auto-mount works perfect for me, but I have an issue. If I move say the location of OneDrive to the sdcard, my c drive reduces in same proportion as the space taken by the OneDrive in the sdcard location. How can fix this.
    Hi Ashameen,

    Can you say a bit more about what you're trying to do, and the setup of the disks on your computer? Which drive are you using as a VHD drive?

    It might be useful if you could post a screenshot of the layout in Disk Management (to bring this up, open the Win+X Power menu and click/tap on Disk Management)

    If you create a dynamically-expanding VHD (as in the option at Step 6 in this tutorial) then I believe the size of the VHD won't dynamically shrink back down again when you delete files from it. Is that the issue you're finding?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #24


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8.1


    I am saying the purpose of the sd card is to free up some space on the c drive and to use the mounted drive (sdcard) for onedrive, dropbox etc. But with this, the cdrive space reduces also as you add files from onedrive, dropbox, pictures etc. which defeats the purpose of the sd card in the first place.

    I am using drive W (my sdcard) as the VHD mounted on the C drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ashameen View Post
    Hi David
    Thanks for the post, the auto-mount works perfect for me, but I have an issue. If I move say the location of OneDrive to the sdcard, my c drive reduces in same proportion as the space taken by the OneDrive in the sdcard location. How can fix this.
    Hi Ashameen,

    Can you say a bit more about what you're trying to do, and the setup of the disks on your computer? Which drive are you using as a VHD drive?

    It might be useful if you could post a screenshot of the layout in Disk Management (to bring this up, open the Win+X Power menu and click/tap on Disk Management)

    If you create a dynamically-expanding VHD (as in the option at Step 6 in this tutorial) then I believe the size of the VHD won't dynamically shrink back down again when you delete files from it. Is that the issue you're finding?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #25


    Posts : 959
    Windows 8.1, 10


    Quote Originally Posted by ashameen View Post
    I am saying the purpose of the sd card is to free up some space on the c drive and to use the mounted drive (sdcard) for onedrive, dropbox etc. But with this, the cdrive space reduces also as you add files from onedrive, dropbox, pictures etc. which defeats the purpose of the sd card in the first place.

    I am using drive W (my sdcard) as the VHD mounted on the C drive.
    Hi ashameen,

    I'm still not quite sure what your setup is?

    Do I understand correctly that instead of assigning the VHD to a drive letter (which is what I did in my tutorial) you're using diskpart to set it to a mount point somewhere on the C: drive?

    I've had a quick try of this scenario, and by moving a file from C: to my mounted VHD, it does reduce the space reported as used on C:, so at least for me it works.

    What happens to your C: drive space when you unmount the VHD (or temporarily stop it from auto-mounting at startup)? Does the space used change?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #26


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8.1


    I created the vhdx on my C drive (C:\MyDrive\mount82.vhdx) and assign the vhdx to the drive letter W
    select vdisk file="C:\MyDrive\mount82.vhdx"
    attach vdisk
    assign letter=W

    But I reverted to using the sdcard without the vhdx until i find a solution to the issue.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #27




    We are a freeware development team (sordum.org) and just read the topic and created a very small portable App to solve the problem (VHD - Auto-mount at Startup) it is very easy to use :

    1. Right click Diskpart_svr.exe and run as admin
    2. Edit the first command and use install service Button , if you want to uninstall it just use uninstall button

    Any feedback will be greatly appreciated

    Downlod:
    http://www.sordum.net/forum/download/file.php?id=93
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #28


    Posts : 959
    Windows 8.1, 10


    Quote Originally Posted by ashameen View Post
    I created the vhdx on my C drive (C:\MyDrive\mount82.vhdx) and assign the vhdx to the drive letter W
    select vdisk file="C:\MyDrive\mount82.vhdx"
    attach vdisk
    assign letter=W

    But I reverted to using the sdcard without the vhdx until i find a solution to the issue.
    Hi ashameen,

    If your VHDX is on the C: drive, then by moving files around from other C: folders to your VHDX file (with the letter W: ), you are just moving data around from one part of C: to another, so it wouldn't save space overall.

    Does that help?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #29


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8.1


    Yes that helps. So I have to create the vhdx on the sdcard
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
VHD - Auto-mount at Startup in Windows 8
Related Threads
BSOD Error On Startup - Auto Restarts in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hello, My little brothers desktop PC that is running Windows 8.1 keeps going to the BSOD on every startup i do, once it restarts and goes back to desktop it seems to run fine and doesnt BSOD which is quite frustrating. I've zipped up the files needed for you guys to have a view (following the...
Hello, i'm running Windows 8 Home Premium. I'd like to increase my startup speeds, I already disabled as much as I can in Task Manager, msconfig, etc. In the Task Scheduler, it shows Metro Apps are taking CPU time at startup though. After much searching on the topic, I find very little about how...
As the title said. Someone my programs that has yellow-blue shield like this 41798 fail to autostart at log-on or windows startup. I tried many ways: registry, put their shortcuts in startup folder, changed gpedit.msc so that they start on log-on... none of them works. Is there anyway to fix this,...
I'd like to change the order in which certain programs in my startup folder load. I don't need to know how to add or remove programs from the startup folder, and I'm not talking about security or system programs. I'm talking about some programs I've added to my computer, which I use all the time in...
System Specs Intel i5 2400 3.10 Ghz8Gb of Ram1TB SATA HDDAMD Radeon HD 6670motherboard Z77M-D3H rev 1.0Windows 8 Pro X64 Problem: for the past few weeks this problem begun and i dont know how but it just happenedfirst i was wondering why so i checked event viewer and logs involving the...
I apologise if this is the wrong section, this isnt strictly a BSOD crash. Yesterday when shutting down my laptop (which has been upgraded to windows 8 Pro Previously, without issue) windows 8 installed an update. Since then, when trying to boot, windows hangs on the loading scree (spinning...
Hello All, I have a problem in windows 8 32 bit to auto lunch my application at boot up/start up. Actually I already created registry in: and while I am also created registry in:
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook